'95 BMW M3 - shaeff's summer daily driver

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
LOL, I prefer to do my own work. It's more rewarding that way! (and I don't have 65k to blow)

I've been working on someone else's Supra for the past week or so, on and off, so the M3 got put on hold. I replaced the entire cooling system, and sprung a leak somewhere under the hood. :( I'm putting it a lift tomorrow to pinpoint it. Kinda sucks!

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
shaeff;1283521 said:
LOL, I prefer to do my own work. It's more rewarding that way! (and I don't have 65k to blow)

I've been working on someone else's Supra for the past week or so, on and off, so the M3 got put on hold. I replaced the entire cooling system, and sprung a leak somewhere under the hood. :( I'm putting it a lift tomorrow to pinpoint it. Kinda sucks!

Yeah that does suck, but hopefully its just something simple and wont require much time. Especially since its summerish now and I'm sure you are driving it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Right on. I can sure hope! LOL. Yeah, I was driving it, but stopped once I found it was leaking. :(

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Seriously. :nono:

My buddy pushed off my inspection until Wednesday. He's staying after work, which means that I get to put the M on the lift and find that damn coolant leak!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
arizzle;1285130 said:
^^ dont worry you will find the coolent leak, its like finding a coolent leak on a 7M lol. to many hoses.

LOL, yeah. I'm bringing it to the shop my buddy works at after it closes today. My friend has some work to do on his Jeep, so I'm going to put my car on the lift and sort this all out.

On a side note, my ZKW/FX35 retrofit should be under way relatively soon. I just picked up a set of ZKW's with broken front glass for $150! :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Bleh, maybe not... The seller just PM'd me and said that someone else supposedly sent him a money order last week, but it didn't get there yet. :(

I guess my quest is still ongoing...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Wooo! Just sent payment on a set of ZKW's with Thinline Angel Eyes (which I'll be removing) for $220 shipped. They've had stoneguard on them since day one. Here are some pics:

So my FX35 retrofit into these housings will commence shortly! :) I'm quite excited! The stock DOT spec lights are terrible.

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
My friend bought those just like a month or two ago.

They look good but have a little slant to them. I only think its because he didn't adjust it.

Does yours come with HIDs as well.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
88tsupra;1302375 said:
My friend bought those just like a month or two ago.

They look good but have a little slant to them. I only think its because he didn't adjust it.

Does yours come with HIDs as well.
Mine are coming with everything except ballasts, but it doesn't matter, as I'm cutting them up anyway. LOL. I'm installing Infiniti FX35 Bi-xenon projectors in the low beam location. ;) Way better output, light spread, and cutoff.
Poodles;1302382 said:
angel eyes are FTW, what's wrong with you!??!!

But those look like shit, I'd fix em or pull em out...

I love angel eyes, but not on the e36! They look like such an add-on. :( When I first got my M3, I was 100% sure that I'd put angel eyes in (Orions- so nice looking!) But when you look at them up close on the e36 they just don't do it for me anymore. :(

Oh well! I'll probably do city lights (using the high beam bowl and a small amber LED or something. I haven't decided if I want quad high beams yet. Supposedly it's pretty intense. I'm sure I'll experiment a bit to get exactly what I want.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
With HID's, YES you want quad high beams as you don't want to be turning the HID on/off. You don't really have to go bi-xenon with a quad setup, though I'm sure you already know that...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Poodles;1302829 said:
With HID's, YES you want quad high beams as you don't want to be turning the HID on/off. You don't really have to go bi-xenon with a quad setup, though I'm sure you already know that...
My original intention was to eliminate the stock high beams and put citylights in their location. The FX's lo/hi beam is excellent, so I could do just fine without the stock highs.

I was more figuring out if I literally wanted all four headlights to be on high beam when I flick the switch, or just the FX's, with citylights in the stock hi location.

BorHor;1302831 said:
wow that is a pretty dang good price for those ZKW's
Dude, I know! They're selling so cheap these days! I missed a brand new set for $160 shipped just a few days ago! I missed about 6 sets, all for under $220, and all in fantastic shape! :(

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I assume you mean the fx35's? LOL. I've got two sets. One for my GF's car, one for the M3. ;)

If you want I can probably find you some good deals on poopBay.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Heh, so I guess I'm a bit nuts. Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm kindof a sucker for rare parts, or hard to find parts.

Super fast back-story/preface: My key for this car only works in the ignition, and the passenger door. The passenger door is tough, though- so I rely on the keyless entry to get me in and out.

I stumbled across a full lock set with 4 brand new keys over on BF.c. Not only that, but they're BMW Motorsport exterior door handles! Doubly FTW! So naturally, I bought them:

p1304061_1.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Bleh, CEL came on while driving home today. Car died in my driveway when I let it come to an idle. Checked the codes, but it's the classic "Knock sensor #2" (code 1226), which doesn't necessarily mean that it's the KS.

That code pops up for a wide variety of things, seems to be a glitch on many '95's. I've got some parts on the way, hopefully be back up and running for the weekend.

It starts, but I have to give it gas to keep it going, and it's slow as hell- hits a wall around 3500rpm. I'm thinking it's the crank position sensor.

Sigh.