88 supra build 400 horsepower build on stock internals

Jordon Burt

Grandavi;1887350 said:
Many people have sunk a lot of money into these cars (myself included).

Don't spend a penny if your thinking of selling for a profit. Your not going to get your money out of the car. I have seen well over 25,000 in a car selling for 8000.
If your going to do the work thats all fine. However, your going to need to prepare yourself for possible bad news situations. (ex. head warped/cracked, crank shot, exhaust manifold shot, etc...) It happens.

My car is over 30k invested and I am still not where I want to be (mind you.. I have not done any work myself for the mechanics and bodywork, and I am fussy, so it cost a lot more).

What I laugh at is that us die-hard Supra fans will put over 4500.00 into tires when we can buy a Supra for the same amount. It doesnt make logical sense.. hehe

Also, a 2.0 metal headgasket means your going to have to lap the block and shave the head. This has to be done perfectly or you are going to have problems later on. I dont know anyone that can do that himself, so it normally means a GOOD machine shop that understands the engine. Earlier, I priced having my engine rebuilt to handle 600+ HP reliably and it was a tad bit over 10,000.00 (again.. someone else building for me)

Now... that doesnt include brakes, suspension, bodywork, paint, interior, glass, exhaust, turbo, fuel system, engine management, intercooler. The way I am building my car I am guesstimating that I will have roughly 45,000.00 into the car when its done. More if I try to perfect it for car shows. Worth it to me, because it isnt my daily driver, I love the car and I have no intentions of ever selling it. I can buy a new car for that quite easily and be happy, but it just wont be a MK3...

yea im doing all the work myself. and im gunna get the head machined so its fresh as possible. and i am keeping the car. im no longer selling it as i said in the last comment. and i know this is gunna be a money tank but its worth it to me :D

Jordon Burt

IMG-20121028-00282.jpg every tool i need :D not including the air rachet wich i love.
IMG-20121028-00281.jpg wtf happend to this rad fluid? :1zhelp:
IMG-20121028-00280.jpg thinking of creating a mount to mount this coilover here. (for looks)
IMG-20121028-00276.jpg this is my new piggy bank.....
IMG-20121028-00275.jpg got 1 run complete to the back for battery relocation. 1 more + and then a ground run
IMG-20121028-00271.jpg motor slowly gettin stripped and prepped for removal. :naughty:
IMG-20121028-00268.jpg bunch of stuff
IMG-20121028-00267.jpgChilliwack-20121028-00265.jpg my work space....
Chilliwack-20121028-00266.jpg wtf that fan gunna do lol?:biglaugh:

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Was just saying so that you were walking in with your eyes wide open. I know of two people who talked like you are right now until they got hit with their first true bill. Just don't want you to go in thinking it was easy or cheap because its neither.., but it is a joy to ride in a mk3 knowing your one of the few...

Last edited:

Jordon Burt

Grandavi;1887529 said:
Was just saying so that you were walking in with your eyes wide open. I know of two people who talked like you are right now until they got hit with their first true bill. Just don't want you to go in thinking it was easy or cheap because its neither.., but it is a joy to ride in a mk3 knowing your one of the few...

oh well thank you. and i know its gunna be pricy. i probably wont even have the motor back in the car till late January! i wanna do the build right. im guessing around 4 to 5 grand on the motor while its out. then a couple more as i go..

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I've noticed you did an estimate with JE pistons and Eagle rods, but plan on a stock build. The JE's and Eagle's won't be necessary with your power goals, hell, they won't be necessary even if your goal was 600RWHP haha (though at this point, I'd go forged, but the point is that a healthy stock 7M can handle this amount of power easily). And I've also noticed you mention a turbo header (in terms of CT26)....for as long as I've been on the forum, I never saw one (honestly don't think they exist haha) so to save you some trouble, don't bother. The stock exhaust manifold outflows the CT and I'm sure any CT you plan to throw on there.

You're doing waaay more than I did at eighteen (drove a damn civic) so amen to that!

Well, Congrats on the purchase and welcome to SM.

BHG FTW baby....jk.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Man I missed some stuff going for my drive to the next province. I now want to see how hard it would be to put my 1gr-fe into my supra lol... jk.

So how bad is the motor? I am sure you could get your hands on the parts you need and get the block properly prepped for under 3k. You just have to shop around a little. I have been up for 16 hours. time for bed lol... damn that was a fun 1600 km drive lol (1000 miles for US people)

Jordon Burt

Supra28;1887605 said:
I've noticed you did an estimate with JE pistons and Eagle rods, but plan on a stock build. The JE's and Eagle's won't be necessary with your power goals, hell, they won't be necessary even if your goal was 600RWHP haha (though at this point, I'd go forged, but the point is that a healthy stock 7M can handle this amount of power easily). And I've also noticed you mention a turbo header (in terms of CT26)....for as long as I've been on the forum, I never saw one (honestly don't think they exist haha) so to save you some trouble, don't bother. The stock exhaust manifold outflows the CT and I'm sure any CT you plan to throw on there.

You're doing waaay more than I did at eighteen (drove a damn civic) so amen to that!

Well, Congrats on the purchase and welcome to SM.

BHG FTW baby....jk.

lol ive changed my plan a lil bitt i actually want around 450-500 rwhp now :p so what would u suggest, my car only has 155k stock km on the engine. but i believe it has been a lil mistreeted before i purchased it. its leaking oil bad somewhere but only when it runs. and it has alot of oil in the sparkplug wells :1zhelp: and the turbo was screwed, along with the clutch. lol

my step dad kinda convinced me to get the car on the road and see if theres anything else wrong with it before i pull the motor, so im gunna buy a new clutch and turbo, replace head gasket if i need too, replace valve cover gaskets, see how it drives and go from there. if it runs/drives good on the road as it did in my driveway (even with the shit that was wrong with it) when i bought the car then ill go from there... and how much psi should i be running. im ordering a 57 trim ct26 from driftmotion

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'll update you on results from my car (because I just did most of what your talking about (although, I am not touching the engine itself).
From all my reading and experience with 7M's (never owned a 1j or 2j) your going to want to do the head right (pistons wont factor in until you go silly and climb above 550+ rwhp.. and at that point your tune is what is going to kill you). The head is the first failure point simply because of how its made. I just read about where the failures occur on the exhaust side mainly due to the aluminum annealing at high temp (overheat) and the torque softens. Made a lot of sense when I go back over things I have read and learned. Almost every headgasket failure I have seen pictures of have been on the exhaust side. But having the head and block prepped properly is your first step. (if you pull it apart) Its very critical. Past that, stock internals are pretty damn strong providing they haven't been severely abused and ran for long periods of time with really dirty old oil. I bought a Co2 tester for 85.00 to test the headgasket easily. I just run it everytime I am about to park the car for the winter. If the blue fluid starts going green/yellow.. then I know an issue is either creeping up or already there. Time to check the head torque.
Now that I am upping the performance I have to watch even closer just to make sure I dont kill it by pushing a build that I have no idea how well it was done. (I didnt rebuild the engine 22,000 km ago.. PO did).

ToyotaxAlex

Oct 23, 2012
Olympia, WA
Moy;1886530 said:
If you want 400 and want an upgrade CT, get a 57 or 60-1 trim. Or go to Albert on here and get a billet 58trim (light as a 57trim wheel but flows as much as a 60-1 IIRC). ETS intercooler kit is overkill for your power goals.

Your other option is to go on Ebay and get a CT26--> T3 adapter and run a medium frame T3 turbo with an external wastegate.

+1 to the billet 58 trim

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Jordon Burt;1887890 said:
any suggestions to a good head gasket for around 450 500 horsepower?

The cometic mhg is pretty good if your getting the block decked as well. If not, I hear that the Toyota gasket with ARP studs is pretty good but I would go metal for anything over 12 psi consistently. Basically, if you put it together correctly it will last you a while. Keep up with checking the torque on the head and check the coolant consistently.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Jordon Burt;1887890 said:
any suggestions to a good head gasket for around 450 500 horsepower?

Any multi layer steel (MLS) head gasket will get you there. Cometic, HKS and Titan are commonly used.
It's best to measure the block and head to find out what thickness you need then work from there.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Grandavi;1888101 said:
I dont consider a MHG unless its a full rebuild.. then I consider it just standard issue...

Very true. I missed the post where he said he was going to throw the turbo on it and see how it goes before the rebuild.

Honestly, that is a great approach if you're planning a rebuild anyway.
Sure you risk damage to the original engine but, it is better than doing the same on a fleshly built engine!

Jordon Burt

well..... the build may be postponed for a bit. i got stabbed 5 times on thursday night. i wont be able to work for a month or two from results of my brain being seriously damaged from me being stabbed in the head. im doin alright now it just sucks that i wont be able to collect money or work on my car. ill let u all know when i can work on my car again.

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
Jordon Burt;1889500 said:
well..... the build may be postponed for a bit. i got stabbed 5 times on thursday night. i wont be able to work for a month or two from results of my brain being seriously damaged from me being stabbed in the head. im doin alright now it just sucks that i wont be able to collect money or work on my car. ill let u all know when i can work on my car again.

Wow that is terrible news, I wish you the best of luck on your recovery. Can I ask what happened, were they able to catch the fucker that did it? The car isn't important right now, health always comes first.

Jordon Burt

z4ck;1889514 said:
Wow that is terrible news, I wish you the best of luck on your recovery. Can I ask what happened, were they able to catch the fucker that did it? The car isn't important right now, health always comes first.

thank you. yeah i guess we got into an arguement on the street. i told him to get out of here, he didnt leave so i grabbed him, punches him, and then he started fighting back, so we had a little fight then he grabbed an un open beer and started smashing my head, he ran away around a corner and i chased him then he stabbed me 4 times in the head and in the hand from me blocking a stab in the hand. he than ran away again, i chased him about 4 or 5 blocks away and i clollapsed

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Well then.... do I have to come down there with my compound bows and go all "dukes of hazard" on someones ass?

If your smiling then you know what type of arrow I am thinking about using.... if your not... watch some of the older original shows.... then smile.

Glad to hear your still with us. Hope they catch that guy before you heal. Next time drive over him with a vehicle (real lawyers advice for assault charge when I was younger)

So while your laid up, I guess you will be doing a lot more reading up on the supra and maybe even get to do some hands on stuff like stripping the interior or something along those lines. Look forward to watching the fun from 3 hours away.

TTYL8R

Jordon Burt

ttsupra2503;1891361 said:
Well then.... do I have to come down there with my compound bows and go all "dukes of hazard" on someones ass?

If your smiling then you know what type of arrow I am thinking about using.... if your not... watch some of the older original shows.... then smile.

Glad to hear your still with us. Hope they catch that guy before you heal. Next time drive over him with a vehicle (real lawyers advice for assault charge when I was younger)

So while your laid up, I guess you will be doing a lot more reading up on the supra and maybe even get to do some hands on stuff like stripping the interior or something along those lines. Look forward to watching the fun from 3 hours away.

TTYL8R

ahaha thanks. u made my day. and yea im gunna strip the interior and strip the sound deadning,