7mgte power

jugalo65978

Jun 3, 2006
idaho
hi i'm new to this forum and i was hoping that you guys could give me some advice on my supra.
here's the skinny me and a buddy of mine are working on starting a tuning company. so we need a car that will win a lot of races and get oure name out there. we have also bean chalanged by a friend of ours and would like to one up him. he is working on a h22 powered civic that should exceed 500hp. so our gole is 7 some where in the ball park of 700 to 800 hp.
this is what we have to work with.
so i'm selling my 99.5 VW GTI VR6 in the hopes of getting about 7,000 to work in the supra with. what do i need to get to make it a 700hp machine.
thanks
ed

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Uhm, 7K is plenty to get the power you want.
You're going to need perfect engine management.
Get an AEM. 2K later and you've got 5K to get your motor, fueling needs and boost needs up to par.
You'll need another 2K into the shortblock, and at least 1K in the head for a solid foundation upon which to build.
So, you've got 2-3K to get fuel and boost into the engine. The logical thing here is an SSauto mani and a bunch of large piping to make your own exhaust and intake piping.
500 should get you the mani and enough steel and al piping to do intake and exhaust.
200 gets you a huge front mount from ebay, and you'll need a big ass fuel pump or two walbros, a bunch of lines and big injectors.
If you hunt and peck for deals, you should still have at least 1K left over for your turbo. Ideally, you'd save up a few hundred more and go with a Garret Gt series, and be done.

If you want to open a tuning shop, you will need to know how to tune AEM. It's the same as any other stand alone, so without the knowledge to "tune" you really won't have a tuning shop. If you fail at tuning, the motor is done.
My suggestion is to first get the aem and get it dialed with the stock engine. Then do your fuel system and get it dialed again. Then Put your turbo and exhaust on. Get it dialed at low boost, pump gas safe. If you're into good looks and top end, talk to Ron R or Seth about a forward facing intake manifold. You'll lose AC, but it cleans up the engine bay a ton.
After getting the stock engine dialed with the engine management, you're readdy to turn up the boost slowly until the stock engine gets sick of being pounded on. Read "headgasket blows and bearings spin"
At this point, you swap in the new motor and tune it on low boost.
It should behave similar to the old stock engine, only it will requre slightly more fuel if you did headwork.
Then you slowly build boost while keeping the tune perfect.
If it is kept in tune, you should have no problems.

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
IHI-RHC7 said:
Uhm, 7K is plenty to get the power you want.
You're going to need perfect engine management.
Get an AEM. 2K later and you've got 5K to get your motor, fueling needs and boost needs up to par.
You'll need another 2K into the shortblock, and at least 1K in the head for a solid foundation upon which to build.
So, you've got 2-3K to get fuel and boost into the engine. The logical thing here is an SSauto mani and a bunch of large piping to make your own exhaust and intake piping.
500 should get you the mani and enough steel and al piping to do intake and exhaust.
200 gets you a huge front mount from ebay, and you'll need a big ass fuel pump or two walbros, a bunch of lines and big injectors.
If you hunt and peck for deals, you should still have at least 1K left over for your turbo. Ideally, you'd save up a few hundred more and go with a Garret Gt series, and be done.

If you want to open a tuning shop, you will need to know how to tune AEM. It's the same as any other stand alone, so without the knowledge to "tune" you really won't have a tuning shop. If you fail at tuning, the motor is done.
My suggestion is to first get the aem and get it dialed with the stock engine. Then do your fuel system and get it dialed again. Then Put your turbo and exhaust on. Get it dialed at low boost, pump gas safe. If you're into good looks and top end, talk to Ron R or Seth about a forward facing intake manifold. You'll lose AC, but it cleans up the engine bay a ton.
After getting the stock engine dialed with the engine management, you're readdy to turn up the boost slowly until the stock engine gets sick of being pounded on. Read "headgasket blows and bearings spin"
At this point, you swap in the new motor and tune it on low boost.
It should behave similar to the old stock engine, only it will requre slightly more fuel if you did headwork.
Then you slowly build boost while keeping the tune perfect.
If it is kept in tune, you should have no problems.

then you cant drive it becasue the tranny will go

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
a 500+fwhp Civic should run mid 10's @ 130+mph traps. that's gonna be one hell of a car to beat if he does pull off his HP goal.

R154 internals prolly won't hold up to the task. TH400 tranny swap would be the answer. Don't forget about brakes to stop the beast. Suspension and maybe mild custom chassis stiffning would be in order just to make sure you don't twist it. Have you already bought the MKIII? Or are you trying to include that with your $7000 budget? honestly, I don't see this 600-700rwhp project happening on that budget. I'd like to see you prove me/us wrong though. Good luck and have fun with it.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, snag a MKII and swap an LS1 into it, puffing a bunch of nitrous.

Cheapest way I know of, to go damn fast, damn quick, and for damn little.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Standalone. Big turbo. Excellent fuel delivery. Perfect tuning. Full engine build. You're better off with a 2jz swap if youre going straight for the 700 800 hp goal. You prob wont need that much to beat a 500hp h22. a 7m has a better torque curve and better grip since its rwd. Yeah, theres a weight difference but nothing that nessecitates an extra 200-300 hp imo. I say if you tune well, and do the supporting mods to raise boost a good bit, you could take said h22 without 700 hp. Numbers dont mean much... the powercurve tells more than the peak numbers. Not to mention gearing

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
jugalo65978 said:
so we need a car that will win a lot of races and get oure name out there. we have also bean chalanged by a friend of ours and would like to one up him. he is working on a h22 powered civic that should exceed 500hp. so our gole is 7 some where in the ball park of 700 to 800 hp. what do i need to get to make it a 700hp machine. thanks ed
What kind of races? Street or track? IF you don't have to do it with a Supra, I say go for a 400-450awhp WRX. His "500 hp h22 powered civic" is going to have incredible traction (and reliability) problems. It's more fun to take someone down with less power, too.

Last edited:

SublimeSupra

Dreams of the Touge
Jan 17, 2006
Largo,Fl
Im with kwnate because IHI didnt include basic stuff like all the seals,hoses, and fluids all that stuff adds up.Ohh and 700 hp on the stock 15+ year old suspension good luck with that one.The car has to be mechanically sound in every aspect to be able to handle the 700hp.Personally i wouldnt run 200whp on a car that isnt mechanically sounds all the way around.