7M, 1J?

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
OneJoeZee said:
if theres something you broke on a 1J, you're either really careless or have a really powerful engine.

most things you'd need to replace should be bought new anyway... not picked up from a junkyard.

you're talking about hypothetical situations of what you MIGHT do but I'm talking from experience of what I HAVE done.

I toasted my 1st 1J due to serious detonation. Everyone knows that. to get my car running again I didn't have loads of downtime or anything like that. I bought a new engine and did some preventetive work by buying a gasket set from champion toyota. There wasn't anymore downtime there then there would be for a 7M... the engine and all the parts I bought were ALREADY here in the states.

I wasnt trying to start an argument or anything, But for me new sensors are expensive so I pull mine from the Junkyard. 1J's are hard to find and I cant afford the money that they charge for some sensors.

+Junkyards = 5 finger discount :naughty:

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Wills7MGTE said:
this thread is pointless and has become nothing more than an arguement, LETS JUST DELETE IT OR LOCK IT OR WHATEVER, not to mention there are at least 2 of these stupid threads every week, the people who can't decide don't need either of the engines.

You'r rediculous! I came to this forum for advice! Yah it's been brought up before, but people get smarter by the day and there are new things to be learned! I have done nothing wrong by bringing it up again! If any one is out of line it is the people wasting space by saying "It's been brought up before!" Cool here it is again!

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Yellow 13 said:
I wasnt trying to start an argument or anything, But for me new sensors are expensive so I pull mine from the Junkyard. 1J's are hard to find and I cant afford the money that they charge for some sensors.

+Junkyards = 5 finger discount :naughty:

1Js are not hard to find.

Why do you keep saying that? :icon_roll

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
I have to back OneJoeZee on this and say that before I did a swap I thought parts were gonna be so hard to find and expensive and it really is a myth. True you arent gonna be going to any junkyards soon and find 1j's laying there, but I dont think this is a concern to 99% of the people running 1jz's in there cars. Parts can be had for cheap and since this is not new, guys who have been there before us have discovered and documented things like a isuzu rodeo, trooper, w/e timing belt works for us, 7m/2j compatible parts, and if we really cant find it jaymarks seems to be able to get one at a reasonable price or a fellow forums member has one they'll sell you.

I

itr206

parts are not hard to find, they are not expensive, and they are very very hard to break. I try regularly.
There are many above 500whp.
Its not hard at all. I did it on a 10 minute tune on an SAFC for my baseline numbers

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
MY OPINION! (And I repeat, MINE! Maybe I'm wrong, hell knows).

I was 7M-GE originally. I wanted to go turbo obviously. At least in MY country, mechanics would ALL tell me that 7M-GTE's tend to blow way too often. This is why, even the 7M lovers in this boards, tell you to get it rebuild "by someone with GRRREEEAATTT experience" or reputation. Because you have to do a VERY good rebuild and by a true PROFESSIONAL to have an engine that wont blow. I don't think the 7M sucks. It's just an older engine, with factory flaws (like headgasket and bolts??).

So, getting a 7M-GTE and rebuilding it was an option. What I did? I bought a USED 1JZ-GTE, the motormounts for it, installed it (without rebuilding), and I've been daily driving it for a couple of months now. Have not had the first mechanical problem. How many miles on it? LOL, I have no idea, seriously. Call me crazy. But this 2.5 liter engine revs up smoooooooth as hell. AND, it's 280HP on stock form, and those twins get the full boost below 3,000rpm (stock rev limit is 7,200 ??). Remember the stock 7M is only 232HP and less torque (despite being 0.5 liters bigger) than the 1JZ. And to whoever says "yeah, but you can get the 7M-GTE to 300whp with only basic mods"... well, uhhhh... if the 1J has 280 stock, I imagine reaching 300whp would require even less mods.

I dunno, the JZ series are just cooler. Have you ever seen the 7M's headgasket compared to the 1JZ gasket? It's a LAUGHABLE image. bigaaron once posted a pic like that, it made the 7M's HG look like sh*t. Of course, they do sell metal HG's and stuff, and if a "PRO" builds your 7M, it wont blow.

I'm happy with my 1JZ, but I'm not saying 7M is a bad way to go.

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Im going 1JZ all the way!

I'll be going to the good guy's at driftmotion...
I will post pics of the build!

Thanks for the help... I guess

Flea420

Apr 30, 2006
Grover Beach, CA
I BELIEVE, the 1JZ is a stonger, more well built and more Reliable motor in STOCK form with more power.

You can always go single with it, proboly for not much more then going to a large turbo on the 7M.

If your going to drop a JDM engine in without doing any major work to it, and want reliability and power, go 1J. If your on a Budget, the 7M swap I believe will be cheaper, and I know will be easier.

Both motors are proven to make a lot of power when done right. It's all about what you want to start with really and your budget.

Edit: Oh, and if your even in Central Cali, I'll give ya a ride in a 1JZ Supra anytime =D

Last edited:

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Flea420 said:
Edit: Oh, and if your even in Central Cali, I'll give ya a ride in a 1JZ Supra anytime =D

Thanks for the offer... I go back home to Sacramento a lot!

I might take you up on that:biglaugh: !

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
IJ. said:
Weedwhacker motor ;)

Maybe this weedwhacker!

sm_photo_missing.jpg