7M, 1J?

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
7M if you want to shoot for high power later on, 1J if you want nice baseline power.

For rebuilding the engine before installing it its all matter of opinion. Personally I say if you have the time and money go for it, but if your like most of us then go ahead and drop the motor in, just do a little inspection on some of the key parts before doing so IMO.

I

itr206

what do you expect. go in the 7M section and ask it and all the 7M guys will say go 7M.
you say your experiences with the ge to gte, but it was a 7m, so thats really not a good arguement knowing its history.
How many people have blown 1J's or even seen a blown 1J, or seen one close to blown?

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Yellow 13 said:
7M if you want to shoot for high power later on, 1J if you want nice baseline power.

For rebuilding the engine before installing it its all matter of opinion. Personally I say if you have the time and money go for it, but if your like most of us then go ahead and drop the motor in, just do a little inspection on some of the key parts before doing so IMO.

Thank you^... The first straight answer!

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
87soup said:
Thank you^... The first straight answer!

uh except that answer was still someones opinion. you can make tons of power with a 1jz.

its not as simple as youd like it to be i suppose.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
itr206 said:
what do you expect. go in the 7M section and ask it and all the 7M guys will say go 7M.
you say your experiences with the ge to gte, but it was a 7m, so thats really not a good arguement knowing its history.
How many people have blown 1J's or even seen a blown 1J, or seen one close to blown?

Neither motors bad, It all comes down to maintenance. Some peoples GTE's go 150K before ever needing HG's replaced or anything. Same with the 1J.

Im sure I could blow either engine in the same timeframe. Its all how hard you abuse the motor.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
itr206 said:

so what are you trying to say? that the 1jz is un breakable? over heat ANY aluminum head motor and itll blow a head gasket. detonate on ANY motor and you can say good bye to whatever motor it happens to be aswell.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
lagged said:
ahhh now i see whats really going on here. if you think the 7M sucks then just come out and say it, instead of critisizing me for suggesting that the 1jz is not perfect.

keep in mind my previous statements, that its nice to have so many options.

If that's what you think I said, you should try to read more, it will help your reading comprehension.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
lagged said:
uh except that answer was still someones opinion. you can make tons of power with a 1jz.

its not as simple as youd like it to be i suppose.

The main reason I said the 7M for power is because the larger stock displacement.

Bothe engines are essentially the same design so eventually theyll end up mimicking eachother in the higher power ranges with tuned cranks, cams and such they will start becoming the same engine when you go to tearing out all the stock parts. About the only thing that would stay the same is the head/block lol.

Any engine is capable of making tons of horsepower, some just take more effort to get there.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
rakkasan said:
If that's what you think I said, you should try to read more, it will help your reading comprehension.

rightttt. maybe you should keep any animocity you have towards me out of public threads and take it to PMs or something. all youre doing is shitting up a public thread.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
OneJoeZee said:
maybe a little. but your statement still didn't make sense.

Hmmm, If supra of doom is right form another thread then I have to change what I said earlier:

SupraOfDoom said:
there was a 1jz w/ 800rwhp on stock internals

Either way both engines are great engines, I personally prefer the 7M for ease of getting parts and its the very first engine I ever had.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
OneJoeZee said:
1J myth #278: Parts are hard to find

# of 1J's ive seen in the junkyard = 0

# of 7M's =18712436285642756

Its always having to order parts for the 1J which amounts to down time. I like being able to go to the scrapper down the street and getting what I want right then.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
this thread is pointless and has become nothing more than an arguement, LETS JUST DELETE IT OR LOCK IT OR WHATEVER, not to mention there are at least 2 of these stupid threads every week, the people who can't decide don't need either of the engines.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Yellow 13 said:
# of 1J's ive seen in the junkyard = 0

# of 7M's =18712436285642756

Its always having to order parts for the 1J which amounts to down time. I like being able to go to the scrapper down the street and getting what I want right then.

if theres something you broke on a 1J, you're either really careless or have a really powerful engine.

most things you'd need to replace should be bought new anyway... not picked up from a junkyard.

you're talking about hypothetical situations of what you MIGHT do but I'm talking from experience of what I HAVE done.

I toasted my 1st 1J due to serious detonation. Everyone knows that. to get my car running again I didn't have loads of downtime or anything like that. I bought a new engine and did some preventetive work by buying a gasket set from champion toyota. There wasn't anymore downtime there then there would be for a 7M... the engine and all the parts I bought were ALREADY here in the states.