7M, 1J?

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
I’m going turbo from a n/a car and I’m thinking on dropping a 7mgte.... I have been researching this for the longest time, and I like the outlook, but then there is a little voice telling me to go 1jz about it. I would love to go JDM all the way and that means 1J, but I’m looking into the long run... Eventually in the 7M I can get a bigger turbo, and i see a lot of 2J's convert to single turbo.
I don’t want to go 1J then feel I should have gone 7M, or visa versa!

Any help is greatly appreciated :icon_conf

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
build your 7M RIGHT! never drop a used motor into your car, its a waste of time unless you know the history.

itll be cheaper to get a used 7m and have someone with a GREAT reputation build it for you.

if you have the money, go 2jz. its a newer motor, can handle more power in stock form than the 7m and make more power in stock form than the 7m.

1jz is a good motor aswell, however in MY personal opinion, i think the extra .5 liter is better.

there shouldnt be any flame wars over which motor is better, its nice to have many options :)

I

itr206

im sooooo sick of seeing this and sooo sick of people posting that dont know all the motors, just assume.
If its hard to decide, dont decide and sell the car.
Apples to oranges when comparing the 7M to any JZ-GTE

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
lagged said:
build your 7M RIGHT! never drop a used motor into your car, its a waste of time unless you know the history.

itll be cheaper to get a used 7m and have someone with a GREAT reputation build it for you.

if you have the money, go 2jz. its a newer motor, can handle more power in stock form than the 7m and make more power in stock form than the 7m.

1jz is a good motor aswell, however in MY personal opinion, i think the extra .5 liter is better.

there shouldnt be any flame wars over which motor is better, its nice to have many options :)

You'd never put in a used engine, yet you advocate going 2J? that's strange.....

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
rakkasan said:
You'd never put in a used engine, yet you advocate going 2J? that's strange.....

was i that unclear? used as in not rebuilt. infer a little.

i was trying to say, dont drop a USED motor in the car without having it rebuilt. like if you were to get a motor from a clip without knowing the history...rebuild it.

not too hard to understand, right?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
lagged said:

i was trying to say, dont drop a USED motor in the car without having it rebuilt. like if you were to get a motor from a clip without knowing the history...rebuild it.

You were clear, but ignorant too. Maybe I should have rephrased my statement.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
rakkasan said:
You were clear, but ignorant too. Maybe I should have rephrased my statement.

ignorant? how so? i was voicing my opinion that its a waste of time dropping in a non rebuilt motor in your car.

i saw this because it is what i have done. when i first swapped from the GE to GTE motor it was a used motor that i did not know the history of. half a year later i pulled it out again to have it rebuilt.

where is the ignorance? show me please.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
lagged said:
i was voicing my opinion that its a waste of time dropping in a non rebuilt motor in your car.

There's plenty 1J and 2J owners who would disagree with your view that it's a waste of time putting the engine in without rebuilding.

The numbers are not in your favor on that arguement

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
OneJoeZee said:
There's plenty 1J and 2J owners who would disagree with your view that it's a waste of time putting the engine in without rebuilding.

The numbers are not in your favor on that arguement

its not an argument, it is my OPINION. unless i know that the motor was rebuilt previously or has X amount of miles, i STILL say you should do it right the first time, instead of maybe having to pull it again later on down the road.

whats the problem with this line of thinking?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
but if you get a clip, then you know the mileage. so what's wrong with that?

as far as doing it right the first time... with my current motor I replaced all the important gaskets and seals. It won't be crapping out on me anytime soon... my 1st motor would still be in my car running strong had I not detonated the shit out of it.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
lagged said:

I understand what you are implying, I just think that your logic might be a little off. Why would you rebuild a motor if you can get another 50k-70k out of it? I just built a 7M up to what I though was close to what the stock 1J toughness, and it cost over $5,500. Not exactly what I call cheap.

This time around, I'm going to build up a single 1J, which I figure will cost me $4000-$4500 installed, with fuel upgrades & fuel management & making my 450rwhp target. The same build up, al beit new yet equivelant internals, cost me close to $8000.

If my motor fails me, I will buy a new stock 2J bottom end for $2200 & then I will have a 1.5J. That will more than likely never happen, because I doubt I'll drive my car beyond the 1J's usefull life. However, if I do, I'll still pay less for better.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
ahhh now i see whats really going on here. if you think the 7M sucks then just come out and say it, instead of critisizing me for suggesting that the 1jz is not perfect.

keep in mind my previous statements, that its nice to have so many options.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
rakkasan said:
Why would you rebuild a motor if you can get another 50k-70k out of it?

because by the time youve put another 20k on top of the 30k or 40k or however many miles are on the motor, how strong is it going to be?

for me, personally, as in MY OPINION... id rather start fresh, thats all. my logic is in no way flawed in that respect.

no matter WHAt motor i was to put in, i would rather start with a fresh rebuild. be it a 7m, 1jz or 2jz.

/pointless argument

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
itr206 said:
im sooooo sick of seeing this and sooo sick of people posting that dont know all the motors, just assume.
If its hard to decide, dont decide and sell the car.
Apples to oranges when comparing the 7M to any JZ-GTE

Thanks for the help!!!:3d_frown:

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
lagged said:
its not an argument, it is my OPINION. unless i know that the motor was rebuilt previously or has X amount of miles, i STILL say you should do it right the first time, instead of maybe having to pull it again later on down the road.

whats the problem with this line of thinking?

Dont worry i got it and it is my thread.

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
This thread has been one big argument and has helped me out soo much...:nono:

The question is easy... 7M, or 1J?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
87soup said:
This thread has been one big argument and has helped me out soo much...:nono:

The question is easy... 7M, or 1J?

thats entirely up to you dude. both have been shown to make plenty of power.

many people will tellyou that the 7m sucks, or the 1jz sucks.

build EITHer of them right and you will have a great motor. but of course the 1jz nuthangers are going to come in again and turn this into an argument.