3P's TCCS Disassembly/Analysis

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
We are laying out a Rev 2 of the board so it fits in the ECU case without modification (and will also fit in the MR2 ECU as well). Looking at another 2 weeks of layout, 2 weeks fab, and then assembly and test.

The CPU pinout is mostly the same between GTE and GE. Changes are:
ASR1 is used for AFM
PB5 O2 HT sense
DOUT4 not sure yet
DOUT6 VSV2 (needs further checking)
DOUT7 EGR (needs further checking)
PC1 Oil press
PD3 not sure, should be L3 but might be multiplexed
rest is same.

ADC channels are
CH Func
0 HAC sens
1 B+
2 THA
4 THW
5 TPS (VTA)

rest are unused.

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
wow that is great. good work. but if you dont mind me asking, what are your plans for this? like what will this allow the user to do? change fuel & timing maps?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The plan would be to eliminate the need for a piggyback to tune the ECU for a modified setup. Although the project has been mostly described in hardware terms, there is a lot of software development as well (VHDL code, firmware for the on-board AVR micro, and software for the tuning interface on a PC). Once the hardware stabilizes, more attention will be focused on the PC interface. Jon S has already put together a nice framework using Qt, but there is much more to go.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
3p141592654;1631419 said:
The plan would be to eliminate the need for a piggyback to tune the ECU for a modified setup. Although the project has been mostly described in hardware terms, there is a lot of software development as well (VHDL code, firmware for the on-board AVR micro, and software for the tuning interface on a PC). Once the hardware stabilizes, more attention will be focused on the PC interface. Jon S has already put together a nice framework using Qt, but there is much more to go.

What about changing to a speed/density setup? I'd like to know just how far this could actually go, though by the looks of it, you guys can seriously make it happen!

auto351

Oct 22, 2008
Sydney
Hi, Jon.

good progress, just wanted to know about the board layout, size and where it will fit in the case, here in australia our 7M-G ECUs are twin PCB board unit. so I just wanted to know where this new PCB will sit and if it will fit our australian ECU's
(I saw post #200 which shows the board but I can see how it will be fixed into place)

Also on another note I read a post where some one plugged a 7M-G ECU into a 1G-GT socket and the car run, so I have started lookign at the pinouts and most on the "o" connector are identical, so this may be an upgrade option for the 1G-GT

With the software interface, is this something the other guys can start working on, to help out speed things up?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The board on post #200 is the rev 1 outline. It requires a Techtom like spacer to fit. The board we are working on now is for the twin board ECUs only. The digital board in a twin board ECU is smaller than the ECU case, creating a gap. We fit the board in the gap and jumper over to the MCU using ribbon cable. There is only enough room for one MCU, so the 93+ ECUs that use two processors can only have one processor running externally. That's a non-issue for MK3 Supras, but anything toyota released after 93 would be impacted. We have another solution for those ECUs, but it would not be real time tunable.

Plugging one MCU into another ECU is hit or miss, and mostly miss in my opinion. A 7MGTE MCU plugged into a 7MGE board would be a total fail, as the AFM would not work.

The tuning software is on Assembla. If you are an expert programmer in C++, know QT, USB libraries, and so on, you could contribute. Jon Sole is the lead on that project.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Know that you guys know how TCCS works, would it not be possble to effectively open source the ECU like Megasquirt (but PnP), with a custom CPLD/CPU running the code, instead of piggybacking everything onto the existing electronics?

Manianac

Oct 9, 2010
Indy
3p141592654;1634014 said:
The board on post #200 is the rev 1 outline. It requires a Techtom like spacer to fit. The board we are working on now is for the twin board ECUs only. The digital board in a twin board ECU is smaller than the ECU case, creating a gap. We fit the board in the gap and jumper over to the MCU using ribbon cable. There is only enough room for one MCU, so the 93+ ECUs that use two processors can only have one processor running externally. That's a non-issue for MK3 Supras, but anything toyota released after 93 would be impacted. We have another solution for those ECUs, but it would not be real time tunable.

Plugging one MCU into another ECU is hit or miss, and mostly miss in my opinion. A 7MGTE MCU plugged into a 7MGE board would be a total fail, as the AFM would not work.

The tuning software is on Assembla. If you are an expert programmer in C++, know QT, USB libraries, and so on, you could contribute. Jon Sole is the lead on that project.

Do you mind providing a link? I didn't see the software on the 7M TCCS link.

auto351

Oct 22, 2008
Sydney
I can see the tuning code on the main 7M-TCCS work area, I must be blind, what is the work space for the tuning software called ?
I have done c++ but dont have any usb libraries as yet.

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
hey jon, i thought i might ask you this question because you know more than probably anybody about the tccs, but, for some maft pro, me included there is a problem where on a cold start it will run lean. my whole maft pro map runs lean unless i add a lot of fuel. BUT, once it is at normal ops temperature if i turn the engine off and restart it with the key, it will run how it was tuned and the maft pro tune is perfect. so cold starts, until a warm start, runs lean. a warm start runs perfect. what would cause that? and is there anyway around this problem. typically ill just drive my car until it warms up then restart it and its fine, but its really anoyyoing. thanks

JonS

Apr 9, 2009
Cambridge
3p141592654;1637666 said:
Okay, my bad, I should be more clear. The tuning software is on the Assembla space run by Jon Sole.
I've taken the opportunity to have a re-org/cleanup of the Assembla space. Now the 3S-GTE ECU Assembla space (http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/3SGTE_ECU) just contains information & files relevant to the 3S range of ECUs. As a bonus I've also included the application source code to scramble and de-scramble TechTom ROM images.

There is a new ToyoTune Assembla space (https://www.assembla.com/code/toyotune/subversion/nodes) that contains the source code for the PC application and also for the AVR microcontroller on the board. If anyone would like access, please PM myself or Jon.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yeah, progress at last. The new board is 99% complete. Now hopefully you can see how it fits into the ECU without modifying the case.

gapfiller.jpg

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
It does use an external supply, although with mods to the ECU board, you can suck power out of the ECU regulator. It needs about 160mA or so. Don't have any firm cost estimates at this point.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That's is one option built into the board. By external, I took you to mean not running off the ECU 5V internal supply rail. A 7805 doesn't quite cut it though, since you need to switch the power off when the engine is not running and it has finished resetting the ISCV and so on. Also, there is the issue of 100V spikes and other junk on the 12V supply.

auto351

Oct 22, 2008
Sydney

Perfect this is where I was hoping it would end up, you board looks much smaller that the Denso one show here, this one needed a modified lid as the eeproms site quite high & the blue conector was also bulky; this will fit into the 1G case also.

this was all powered from the ECU socket.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
3p141592654;1641423 said:
That's is one option built into the board. By external, I took you to mean not running off the ECU 5V internal supply rail. A 7805 doesn't quite cut it though, since you need to switch the power off when the engine is not running and it has finished resetting the ISCV and so on. Also, there is the issue of 100V spikes and other junk on the 12V supply.

The ECU isn't switched on all the time though, so why not take a feed from IGSW and E01 (switched live & ground, right?), feed it through a circuit like the one i knocked up below, or like you said, take the power from the ECU regulator, assuming the additional power draw isn't excessive?

Overvolt protection & Regulator Circuit:

ovpcircuit.jpg

Where the component values are:

R1 = 4.7k
R2 = 68k
R3 = 100k
R4 = 15k
R5 = 100k
R6 = 20k

C1 = 0.1uF
C2 = 4.7uF
C3 = 4.7uF

D1 = LMV431AIMF Precision Shunt Regulator
D2 = Zener Diode, Generic, 6.8v
D3 = Zener Diode, Generic, 6.8v

Q1 = ZXMP6A13F P-Channel MOSFET
Q2 = ZVN4106FTA N-Channel MOSFET
Q3 = 78L05 Voltage Regulator

You pipe in a 12v source, and it'll provide continuous power output of 500+ mA @ 5v, even in the event of a 60v peak input.