WTF did I just got owned by this coolant system? *PICS*

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Could always test like i did, drive around till it reaches temp. Get into boost and watch the temp rise because of hot air getting into the coolant. :p guess that only works on piston/waterjacket/oilpassage bein blown hahah

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
If it isn't yet its life have probably been lessened pretty dramatically. Obviously it was overheating at some point, Cletus told Mr. Uninformed that taking out the thermostat would solve this.

So now, for abnormal amounts of time, fuel is washing the cylinders of oil. Of course this does not mean a BHG, but will lead to abnormal wear in other areas.

The initial problem was unlikely to be a BHG, but though previous owner abuse, now its certainly possible.

It MIGHT not be a BHG, I'm just saying...either way, Mr. scream ;) was correct.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
dcrusupra said:
Entirely too many members here on the board are too quick to jump to the OMFG!!!BHG!!11! conclusion.

Thats because these cars practically came from the factory with a blown head gasket. I have yet to see a supra with a stock head gasket NOT have overflow problems.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Frank Rizzo said:
Thats because these cars practically came from the factory with a blown head gasket. I have yet to see a supra with a stock head gasket NOT have overflow problems.

And how long have you known that before you got on the forums? I'm sure your opinion has changed since you joined last month, no? Since we have all these members telling these new guys just signing up with overheating problems that it's a BHG and it will happen no matter what, what are they to assume?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Dat,

Sorry I missed your other note.:icon_conf

Anyway, after my short tenure on here... and over a dozen years with this current supra, I've come to realize I only know ONE THING about these cars... they are a virtual cornucopia of ills, thrills, and celestial delights... laid out as a geographical tapestry of mechanical architect, catacombed with system upon subsystem of automotive integral entrail... an experience wraught with the landscape of twists, turns, mountains and valleys... a flavorful palate of sweetness and bitter bite, emotions deeper than soul rush and synaptic as the brain fire of invention... heart throb and blow job...... One moment a modus de farce, vehicular assault straight through your auto-erotic-heart like an arrow shot from Gods Angels own crossbow... and then just around the next bend, the vertigo of a spiraling descent into the devils own abyss...

I have but two pieces of advice for you:

1) Listen to IJ.;)

2) The going up is worth the coming down. Every time.

Keep it up!:joshers:

-crisp

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
Thanks everyone. Leak down test tomorrow morning. Might take awhile since its my first time doing a compression test.

and crisp, I still love your posts just like on SG. Very detailed hehe.

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
IJ. said:
I advocate the NAPA test first as it's a no tools test not all that expensive and could save you picking up tools which on these cars ALWAYS leads to further expense ;)

I am sorry for bothering an older member of the supra community, but what exactly is a NAPA test? I have probably seen it before but do not know the terms.

kawkoretsx

flatuator
Jun 26, 2007
hagerstown, MD
Def use the NAPA kit. Looks like a turkey baster with three chambers. You put some chemical in two of the chambers. Start the car with the rad cap off. You hold the tool over the opening of the radiator and pump the ball drawing in steam and other gases coming out of the radiator. If there is exhaust entering the cooling system the chemical in the NAPA tester will change color. Very simple test.

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
kawkoretsx said:
Def use the NAPA kit. Looks like a turkey baster with three chambers. You put some chemical in two of the chambers. Start the car with the rad cap off. You hold the tool over the opening of the radiator and pump the ball drawing in steam and other gases coming out of the radiator. If there is exhaust entering the cooling system the chemical in the NAPA tester will change color. Very simple test.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo I walked pass that today at the store.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Would almost be worth while to keep that little home-made kit in the glove box haha... car overheats at all you can test for a bhg the minute it does... saving your car from serious harm...

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
The autozone I went to is out of the coolant test thing and have school so I will check again hopefully tomorrow.

Instead I finish installing the T-stat and checked all my hose and lines. The turbo that I though was broken was not. Insead it was my downpipe on a stock elbow making that weird sound. Everything on the car looks fine and oil is not milky. Coolant so far does not look oily either.

I did start the car to idle it to make sure the new T-stat and new radiator cap was not leaking. I saw no leak and ended letting the car idle to warm it up to see whats up with the car. With the radiator cap taken off I saw the coolant going up slowly and over flowing. Its doing it VERY slowly but noticeable. I closed the cap and nothing happen. No over flow nor anything. Here is the weird thing. The car ONLY started shooting coolant out of the reservoir breather hose when the car is at normal running temperature. The gauge was not even near the middle of the gauge on temperature. Again it only shoot coolant when its getting normal temp. I shut the car off and went to school to type this.

I will run the coolant test asap when I can. Just thought I tell you guys what I saw and did to be taught by the knowledge people on here.