Woo! Head Gasket Boom Boom! Yeah!

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
so, it's time to finally put up the dreaded BHG thread. so i got one. and i got some questions.
1. What tools are needed, any special ones (i know i saw a thread about that somewhere here, just can't fine it) ?
2. Do i need to get new intake and exhaust manifold gaskets? what gaskets do i absolutely need?
3. I have to wait to i get the head machined so i can determine the right gasket size for it right? i'm gettin' a cometic one. i wanted to order it as soon as possible, damn.
i got new studs.
and i'm not taking the block out of the car.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
1) Gear wrenches are a lifesaver. Other than that just basic tools. oh and a **********TORQUE WRENCH*********.

2) Depends on their condition, metal ones can be reused. You NEED all of them. Don't try to reuse paper gaskets or others here (apart from myself) will slap you, hard. Your cam seals are most likely fried so get new ones. Actually! Just get a top end rebuild kit and call it a day.

3) I did not wait to hear what size I needed. I spoke to my machinist and told him the situation on Cometic wait times. For my new 9:1 pistons he said a 2mm gasket would be overkill after a head shave and block deck.

The only way to really tell PRE machine work is to look at the head when you have it off. Is it flat? Is it fucked? Then get your machinist to tell you how much he thinks he'll have to remove. I personally went with a 0.071" MHG, which, after machining, should land me in the range of 8.8:1.

I'll let Jdub/Jetjock give their opinions about decking the block, all I'm going to say is you better do a damn good job if you're not pulling it.

While the head is out consider getting a valve job done. I almost didn't but it's very much worth it. New stem seals are for the win.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
pick up a complete gasket kit, there is a member selling them in the FS thread.

don't go MHG unless you get the block machined. your just asking for trouble, and will recieve no sympathy if/when the HG blows again due to you not doing it right the first time.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Enraged said:
pick up a complete gasket kit, there is a member selling them in the FS thread.

don't go MHG unless you get the block machined. your just asking for trouble, and will recieve no sympathy if/when the HG blows again due to you not doing it right the first time.

Yes, listen to Mr. Toby.

Stock HG ftw when doing a quick re and re. (I'll send you the stocker I'm not using if you want it)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I'll agree with all that. Been a long time since I rebuilt my engine and even though I did the machining myself I'll leave it to the Dubster to offer advice. He and others are more intimate with current HG technology.

My only comment is to go slow, use the book, ask questions, and make notes. A digital camera can work wonders for remembering how stuff goes back together. Also based on what I've read the OP is entering uncharted waters. It'd be nice if he found someone with experience to hands on help him.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I would also say that you should get both the head and block resurfaced because Im sure that you only want to replace this gasket once and not have any problems down the road or having to worrie that its not done right. Some people have gotten away with leaving the block in the car and not resurfacing it but If I were you I would get the head and block resurfaced so it's done right.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i can't take the block out, i really cant, sure i want to, but i'm working with an apartment complex parking lot and budget that can't handle that. so how does that stocker HG with arp studs?
and how much do you want for that stocker mr. baboon?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Listen to these guys...good advice. You don't want to use a MHG unless the block is machined...that's why every MHG manufacturer has a required smoothness (RA spec) for the block/head. You might get away with it depending on the condition of your block, but if this is the 1st time you've done this, I would go with the stock HG with ARP hardware.

Read the TRSM several times concerning this...then read it again. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance ;)
JJ's camera suggestion is a very good idea.

- Don't hurt yourself pulling the head...it's a two man job minimum. A cherry picker makes it really easy.

- The head and block decks must be checked for flatness...I'll promise you the head will need to be machined. If the block deck is not flat, it will too...at that point you might as well go with a MHG. Depending on your budget, this is a very opportune time to freshen up the head...valve job, seals, guides as required. Check shim clearances regardless...easy to do with the head on a bench.

- In addition to the top end gasket kit (use Toyota). Replace the two small 90 deg rubber hoses...one at the rear of the head...one just behind the water pump. Check/replace the coolant hoses leading to the TB and ISC valve on the intake manifold. A new timing belt is not a bad idea if yours has a lot of miles on it....Toyota or Greddy.

- Make sure the block deck is clean...no old gasket material...no foreign material of any kind. Do not cut corners here. I would clean the piston tops...Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Make sure there is no debris in the cylinders at all when the head is ready to go back on...wipe the cylinder walls down with a very light coat of oil. Check the oil and coolant galleries for debris too.

- ARP torque specs...they're on the sheet that comes with the hardware. Use them and not what you "hear" from your buddies. The specs are different if you use motor oil or moly...the supplied moly is best. ARP recommends several tightening/loosening cycles for their hardware. The description is on the ARP site. Use the TRSM pattern...I make 5 passes.

- Be careful torquing the exhaust manifold studs...these are notorious for stripping. If you got the cash, helicoil all of them w/ new studs. Someone on here is selling a kit.

- The leading cause of rod knock is coolant in the oil from a BHG. Change your oil/filter before you run the motor with the new HG...I would run a 30W dino oil at first. Change the oil/filter again after 100 miles....we're making sure there is no coolant in your crank case left. Use a good oil this time...a syn is preferred in 5W-30 or 0W-30 grades. Use a Wix or PureOne filter.

That's all I can add to what's already been said...read a few threads and the TRSM. Then you can ask informed questions. Make no mistake, this is a pretty big job man ;)

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
theKnifeArtist said:
i can't take the block out, i really cant, sure i want to, but i'm working with an apartment complex parking lot and budget that can't handle that. so how does that stocker HG with arp studs?
and how much do you want for that stocker mr. baboon?

I will give you a stock head gasket just pay for shipping and its yours. Pm me if you want it.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I also meant to tell you...take the hood off ;)

Getting the head in with the studs on the block is a real pain. A better way is to put the head on (no studs) and align it using the two index pins. Put the stud washers in each hole. Put the moly on the stud threads and carefully thread down each hole....use the allen key to turn. A light snug is all you need.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i've rebuilt a 350 in school so im not totally dead in the water about the precision of this kind of a job. i will have some help with this job.
i still have to get the head machined with a stock headgasket right? any kind of spec i need to know?