Will a HKS Super Drager Exhaust be suitable for a 7M-GE?

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
There was a dyno test done by someone running a 3" and 2.5" exhaust back to back and the 3" was better across the band. I don't have the sheet, but I remember seeing it somewhere on here or maybe on SF. I would go with the 3" as far as power is concerned.
I can't comment on sound since I've never had an NA 7M, but my guess would be that the super dragger would be quieter than most others seeing as it's a relatively quiet turbo exhuast. You could always add a resonator if it was too loud. If you're extremely worried about sound then I would focus on getting a stock system.

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
don't go with the drager or similar it does NOT sounds good at all. I've heard the Pacesetter and it doesn't sound bad at all.
If you do want to go 3" don't spend $$$ on HKS to modify it just have it made local
Thnks Moy finally someone listens..jk I am not a nice guy it's just a show lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SupraSportJack;1364217 said:
don't go with the drager or similar it does NOT sounds good at all. I've heard the Pacesetter and it doesn't sound bad at all.
If you do want to go 3" don't spend $$$ on HKS to modify it just have it made local
Thnks Moy finally someone listens..jk I am not a nice guy it's just a show lol
People keep making that mistake with me as well..... really I am an asshole it's NOT an act ;)

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Been down this (similar) path.

TRUST ME, DON'T go with the Drager on the N/A in my opinion. I don't know about loudness (it's VERY deep and mature on the turbo car...) but the PERFORMANCE would suffer, I'm almost 100% ESPECIALLY on a stock N/A!

I also did a "Sport Brand" exhaust on my '87 N/A Supra, and it was LARGER than the HKS SPORT exhaust and CHEAPER, but it sounded LOUD and obnoxious, and had a TERRIBLE flat spot I couldn't fix. Then I sold that to a cousin, and paid for the HKS SPORT for the N/A. WOW! BIG difference, GREAT throaty sound that was MATURE yet SPORTY, and it REALLY IMPROVED the performance, even with a couple mm smaller dia. piping. NO FLAT SPOT and MUCH better off-idle and in neutral/ON-THROTTLE transition.

I'm a KNOWN HKS biased fan, but their products are quality, they work, and you won't regret a couple extra bucks once it's spent and you are happy with the car.

My $.02

G/L with whatever you choose!

-crisp

Kb865supra

May 2, 2009
Yakima, WA
When I first bought my supra and it was N/A the muffler had a leak so I replaced it with pacesetter because I didn't have much money to spend. On my car it kinda droned and sounded like it had an exhaust leak. Also, I don't know if something broke off inside the muffler or just made its way in there but when accelerating it would make a rattling metal sound that got louder as the rpm's increased.

I ditched it a year or so later and got an HKS Sport exhaust. It looks nice and sounds pretty good. A little loud for me but like I said sounds nice, especially in the higher rpm's.

*Although stupidly knowing that the other two exhausts were louder that what I wanted, I go and put an RSR GT2 on when I 1J'd it, talk about loud!. Once again, mainly due to it being cheaper, but I must admit it sounds pretty damn good.::dunce::

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
My friends toyota pickup has a pacesetter catback on it. it didnt fit well at all, and needed welding work within the first year. now (3 years after purchase) its internally rotted out, really sounds lousy, and he asks me to weld up holes and cracks every other month.

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
This is a really hard choice!

Most guys say 3" is too much for the NA, and will be too loud and sound rather bad. While some other guys say that the 3" gives a little more performance and is really what I should go with. Some guys say the pacesetter is good and sounds great, then someone else says it sounds rather bad and rattles. But all in all no one has said anything bad about the HKS sport, so does anyone know where to buy it?? :)

By the way, I might get a good HKS Super Drager for $350, will this be a rubbish choice and a exhaust that will sound really bad?

lewis15498;1364355 said:
My friends toyota pickup has a pacesetter catback on it. it didnt fit well at all, and needed welding work within the first year. now (3 years after purchase) its internally rotted out, really sounds lousy, and he asks me to weld up holes and cracks every other month.
It sounds like you are surprised that a exhaust for a Supra don't fit a pickup? And to me it basically sounds like bad maintenance, if the exhaust was painted with heat resistand paint, it wouldn't rust at all, and no problems then.

Last edited:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
My bud has a 3.5 Inch Apex'i N1 on his MK4 Supra and it's NA. The resonator really does quiet it down. and it's not really loud.

The Dragger has a resonator as well. ( i just don't know how it compares)

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
scotty;1364405 said:
It sounds like you are surprised that a exhaust for a Supra don't fit a pickup? And to me it basically sounds like bad maintenance, if the exhaust was painted with heat resistand paint, it wouldn't rust at all, and no problems then.

I don't think he meant it was a PACESETTER for Supra that didn't fit well on the truck, but a PACESETTER BRAND exhaust FOR the truck, that didn't fit well.;)

Pacesetter exhausts (IMHO) are not very well made nor fitted. EVEN painted, etc... and "maintained" (how do you MAINTAIN an exhaust?) a cheap brand/grade metal exhaust (with poor fit especially) can deteriorate prematurely. For reference, my HKS Sport Turbo exhaust lasted about 16 years on my Supra, and I only changed it to "Upgrade" to another (Super Drager) HKS system. The DP was JUST removed this summer, and it is still intact and functional. Try that with ANY Pacesetter or "cheap" brand.;)

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
scotty;1364540 said:
I still haven't seen any picture of the HKS Sport or anyone who sells it??

p1364566_1.jpg

p1364566_2.jpg

p1364566_3.jpg

p1364566_4.jpg

^^^ I know, not the SPORT but the SPORT TURBO exhaust... but the construction quality, etc... is similar... (I have it in a catalog somewhere at home, I think...)

p1364566_5.jpg

p1364566_6.jpg

^^^ The NON-turbo is listed here with that exhaust and staged options...

http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1715

^^^ I don't see the N/A Sport Exhaust on their site anymore.:cry:

G/L!

-crisp

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
Hehe thanks. The HKS Sport Exhaust seems to be a myth with one or two pics on the internet, lol. A few people have it, but no one seems to sell it. :icon_bigg But it has dual tips though! And that is not what I'm interested in. I've seen that Titan Motorsports have the HKS Drager, which is for NA and Turbo, according to MVP Motorsports, sent them a mail and they recommended it aswell. So I think I'll go for that if the shipping is ok. If it sounds bad then I'll sell it and buy another one.. ;)

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
scotty;1364405 said:

My friend, as crisp suggested you have missunderstood my post. The pacesetter catback was made for the pickup. I'm a little offended that you would think im so stupid that i would expect an exhaust made for a supra to bolt up to a pickup. And i dont know what you consider "exhaust maitenance" but most of us dont buy exhausts and then spraypaint them before installation, and i have no idea what you think you can do to prevent internal deterioration. My point was that pacesetter makes poor quality exhausts with poor materials that dont fit properly. I shared the toyota pickup story because its hands on experience, and not just what i assume. In short i dont reccomend the purchase of cheap pacesetter exhausts. You still want to buy it, go right ahead, i hope you know how to weld because it wont fit well, and you can spraypaint the fuck out of it but its still gonna rot out on you.

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
There was nothing against you as a person in that post. As there are a lot of different characters on the forum, and I can't start to think what every person would do or not. I know now that I should have understood that you ment a pacesetter catback for a pickup, but there is no point getting mad at me. And if you read above, you can see that I'm interested in the HKS drager.