wideband

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jimi: I was talking about having one "control" the mixture ;)

If you're sure your WB sensor is reasonably fresh and not fouled from rich mixtures by all means it's a good tuning tool on the road.

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
i wouldnt want to connect it to the ecu so really the gauge would monitor the stock o2 while the wideband will monitor a/f to the "T" and then while tuning you would use the wideband because it is a closer representation of what is actually going on. so basically the gauge is just kinda like an ornament that shows a little big of what is going on.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
jimi: Yeah, that's the problem. NDIR analyzers aren't cheap and take a few seconds to react. I know, I own two. But they work great as long as you start out rich. EGT also works as long as you start out rich and the probe is in the right place. Fwiw EGT is what we use in aviation and we run those engines at 75% power for hours on end. In fact we run them quite a bit lean of peak EGT too. Keeps the engine clean and increases fuel economy (important when you're buying 90 gallons of 100 octane at $4.25 a pop). But as in a car, run lean over 75% power and bad things happen. ;)

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
jimi87-t said:
IJ. said:
They're just a gauge/tool and I'm not sure I'd trust one to handle the tune/adjust it anyway as they're not 100% reliable even under ideal conditions.
So what would the "home tuner" use? I don't like dyno's as they don't give real world data. A bass line is good to get on the dyno, but IMO it needs tweaked in the real world
yes, more on this please:icon_ques

edit: got answered while i was posting :)

Last edited:

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ok, Ian just made me do a WTF :biglaugh: Now I see what you were saying.

JJ, I'm using an EGT also.

The key here is to go slow on the +boost. You can't go from running 7lbs boost to 20lbs. Baby steps FTW :biglaugh:

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
i havent blown mine up yet, LOL well i have toasted a few ct-26's.... i know ive been pressing my luck, and its time to tune... good info guys.. thanks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I compared my WB02 to my tuners Motec WB02 and when the sensor was new/unfouled it was very close.

As time goes by and it dirties up it's just a gimmick, for awhile there is was reading 14.6 no matter what I did so I ended up pulling it out and flamming it with the Oxy Torch.

As part of "baby steps" tuning you start off rich and tune to lean so this is something to be aware of and might be a good idea to clean the 02 half way through the tuning session to make sure you're not getting a false 14.6 reading.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
IJ. said:
As part of "baby steps" tuning you start off rich and tune to lean so this is something to be aware of and might be a good idea to clean the 02 half way through the tuning session to make sure you're not getting a false 14.6 reading.

I was going to say the same thing. Also it's not a bad idea to have more that one new WB sensor on hand to swap out the old one with, they are a "short life" item. And it is way cheaper to buy a few $80 sensors than a new motor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Picture a thread
picture a thread that had to potential to be full of ricer misinfo
picture a thread that has turned into something useful..... you have entered the Nerd Zone ;)

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Not sure what you are asking, if you are not needing to tune, you don't need the wideband.

And the "best" all depends on your set up. If your piggy back or stand alone does not have data logging, look for a WB kit that has data logging. I like the LM-1, it is able to "grow" with you, and Innovate makes add ons for that. But it is a big "box" so you have to find a place to put it. But there are other units out there that come with tons of options with no need to upgrade.

Last edited:

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
well i think im going to need to tune ill have injectors, fuel pump, fpr, lexus afm, fmic, hardpipes, bov, etc... i just meant ill have a AFC so i wont need to tap the wideband into my ecu just use the readings to tune with my AFC.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yeah, "tune" is a misnomer. Search around, there are plenty of WB's to choose from. I thought there was a sticky or review section here? They all do the same as far as A/F but you may want choices like data logging, PC interfaces, things like that. Even if you connected the WB to your ecu it still isn't going to do squat for you at WOT as the ecu ignores sensor input there. The stock fuel map in the ecu tends to be rich at WOT so that's why you'll need some other gadget to correct it but it's better to start out rich anayway. Seems jimi has the hot setup: WB and EGT.

Last edited:

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
IJ. said:
Picture a thread
picture a thread that had to potential to be full of ricer misinfo
picture a thread that has turned into something useful..... you have entered the Nerd Zone ;)

Can someone say sticky..................