wideband

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
simply put. a much more acurate o2 sensor. its important to monitor your a/f ratio acuratly. its needed if you need to tune you car. or just after youve done a bunch of mods to it you should have it to monitor you car .

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I also have some questions.

1) Do the widebands O2's replace the stock narrowband O2 or are they in addition to it. someone mentioned they were deigned to go down stream farther and not where the O2 is now? correct?

2) I have looked at the AEM 6in1 wb web site and the answers are not there... I assume you can tie it back into the stock ecu, yes or no ??

i havent done a ton of research on these so be kind to me im feeling lazy....(spoon it) lol

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
Joel W:
1. yes an aftermarket wb can replace your stock one. the plx-m300(which is the one i am looking at) also puts out a signal similar to the stocker that can be used by the stock ecu. its just alittle extera work to splice it into the stock system.

as far as i know you can put a wb in the same location as the stock one, but i might be wrong. anyone want to clarify?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Joel W. said:
I also have some question.

1) Do the widebands O2's replace the stock narrowband O2 or are they in addition to it. someone mentioned they were deigned to go down stream farther and not where the O2 is now? correct?

2) I have looked at the AEM 6in1 wb web site and the answers are not there... I assume you can tie it back into the stock ecu, yes or no ??

i havent done a ton of research on these so be kind to me im feeling lazy....

Some can, some can't. I have the LM-1 (from innovate motorsports) and it has the option of sending a "stock" type signal to the ecu. This is not the best thing to do IMO. Wide bands tend to be finicky and if it sends a false signal you can kiss your motor good bye. Best thing to do is just run the WB for tuning and monitoring info and let the stocker do its job.

Yes the WB O2 is more sensitive to heat, and tend to screw up in high heat areas, again, the stock O2 is not so picky. I have mine close to the stock one, but I have a heat sink on it, (also from innovate motorsports).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You get a longer service life if it's mounted away from the Flame Front.

With a heated 02 sensor this shouldn't be a problem but if it's unheated it may never get to it's correct operating temp if it's too far from the Turbo.
(I get an occasional "Cold Sensor" error on my Wolf even with heated sensors)
<Jimi snap> ;)

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
can a wideband detect a bad injector, or a lean situation in one piston or would i need 6 pyrometers(sp) egt gauge for that? i m sure it cant now that i rethink it

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A 6 probe EGT setup would work ok but be expensive and complicated Joel.

The WB will show a lean condition but during a hard pull the damage will already be done by the time your brain registers it....

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
If you have data logging yes, it can see a spike and will register it as lean (even though it would be rich- the o2 reads oxygen, not fuel, so it sees a hell of a lot of o2 (from it not burning) and reads lean.

EDIT, oops I was saying a rich condition, from timing or bad plug, where is my brain?

Yes it will also read a true lean condition from a bad injector.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
but when placed 3ft downstream, i would think the ecu would try and over compensate with more fuel on all of the injectors,,, when an injector starts to fail? it wouldnt be able to single one out? thats what i meant or what i was thinking... thank you for shedding some light on it for me..

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
alright so its sounds important. but doesnt just having an a/f gauge do the same thing? how do you put in a wideband?

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
no i didnt watch the video because im on shitty dial-up lol. so i was just wondering if someone could tell me basically what they said. thanks

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
try to watch em as there is a dial up or broadband option to download and there small screen so it may be ok... it can do a better job than i can..

like everyone is saying a narrowband is to slow and not accurate for tuning..

with that setup, just drill a hole in the exhaust before the cat and weld the bung in. and plug n play..

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
The stock o2 sensor is a narrow band, it is basically a 3 way switch, there is no way to tell how rich or lean you are. A wide band is linear and shows precisely how rich or lean you are so you can compensate in tuning.

NARROW BAND:
171afratiosnarrowbando2sensor.jpg

WIDE BAND:
widebando2.jpg

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
alright so basically a wideband is just better for tuning and monitoring purposes. so if i have an a/f gauge already i just need the actual wideband and i can use my gauge to monitor it correct?

can you go without using a wideband?