Why do supras HG always blow anyway?

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
If Toyota didn't have some type of complicity wouldn't it be likely that every carmaker would have been sued by so called owners who didn't do proper maintenance? I would imagine so. Before I bought my 89 supra my wife wanted a 4runner. We looked at way too many before realizing that if you looked at your local car ads you would find I believe a abnormally large amount of owners trying to sell them. The ones we were interested were V6's it seemed most owners who had around 100k were desperately trying to sell them. It got me to thinking why since Toyota has this reputation of their cars lasting hundreds of thousands of miles. Remember the old commercials they had which a friend of mine was in, they boasted about the 4cly pickups and the owners who had 400k 500k and some even 700K miles of normal maintenance. Even my family members who owned these pick ups and Celica’s got that same reliability. So I went online to see what an average replacement engine was selling for, the so-called 40-60k mile used motors. I was amazed that they were going for 4k to 4.5k, our motors go anywhere from 400 to 1200 on average. So I believe this shows the owners of Toyotas with V6's that were having engine failures drove up the price due to demand since many of the owners hadn't even finished paying of the loans, they get stuck having to replace the engines. This told me that Toyotas no longer have a reputation of longevity, just one of reliability under a 100k. So I believe the Lawsuit showed a true problem that might not have had anything to do with the owner or the oil change interval. As we all know and read on here on a regular basis Toyota really had some problems with BHG's in our cars. I'll add the piece I read and copied about the issue below. My comments are merely from my own experience and shouldn't be taken as a scientific study. You can always look for yourself.

Toyota Agrees to Sludge Settlement for Consumers
Class Action Suit Brings Relief to 3.5 Million Toyota, Lexus Owners
By Joe Benton
ConsumerAffairs.Com
January 8, 2007

Consumers saddled with sludge-clogged Toyota engines may soon get some help from the Japanese auto giant under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement that covers roughly 3.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles damaged by engine oil sludge.
An engine gummed up with oil sludge can cost thousands of dollars to repair and in many cases must be replaced. The class action settlement could potentially cost the automaker hundreds of millions of dollars.
The agreement will allow consumers whose claims have been denied by Toyota to submit those claims to a third-party mediator at no cost for binding arbitration.
The lawsuit, filed in a Louisiana district court, could receive final approval by the middle of February. Details of the settlement are being mailed to 7.5 million current and previous Toyota and Lexus owners.
The agreement provides owners of sludge-damaged Toyotas eight years plus 120 days from the original purchase date to file a complaint.
Toyota consumers who have repaired their sludge-damaged engines may be able to recover their costs. The car only needs to show evidence of oil sludge damage.
The terms of the settlement are transferable to future vehicle owners.
Toyota owners have repeatedly written ConsumerAffairs.Com detailing Toyota's attempts to blame sludge problems on inadequate vehicle maintenance by the owner.
Charles in Arkansas said: "At 36,000 miles the engine gummed up and quit running. My wife had the oil changed at Wal-Mart and did not keep receipts for the oil changes. The North Little Rock dealer and the Toyota representative told us such problems were rare and that we had caused the problem but for $2,500 they could fix it. They inferred that my wife was a liar," he wrote.
With the new agreement, consumers need only show reasonable maintenance in terms of oil changes.
Toyotas covered by the Louisiana settlement include the:
• Camry 4 cylinder from 1997-2001,
• Camry 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,
• Camry Solara 4 cylinder from 1999-2001,
• Camry Solara 6 cylinder 1999-2002,
• Sienna 6 cylinder from 1998-2002,
• Avalon 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,
• Celica 4 cylinder from 1997-1999,
• Highlander 6 cylinder from 2001-2002,
• Lexus ES 300 from 1997-2002 and
• Lexus RX 300 from 1999-2002.
In 2002 Toyota admitted receiving 3,400 complaints about sludged engines and the automaker extended its vehicle warranty to eight years along with unlimited mileage to owners of 1997-2002 Toyota and Lexus vehicles equipped with 3.0-liter V-6 or 2.2-liter four-cylinder engines.
At Toyota dealerships, however, consumers have encountered repeated denials from service managers insisting that sludging occurs primarily when owners fail to change their oil frequently enough.
Lauren wrote ConsumerAffairs.Com from Tampa, Florida that, "My check engine light came on once again so I immediately returned to Stadium Toyota. The next day, I received a call from Stadium Toyota telling me that my engine is damaged due to engine sludge and it will cost me $4,500 to fix it."
In Lawrenceville, Georgia Valerie ran into a hostile dealer despite Toyota confirming her vehicle was "part of their oil gelling/sludge program. The service dept at the dealership says that I'm not entitled to anything," she wrote.
In Apex, North Carolina Jan heard the bad news from her Toyota dealer.
"They checked it over, then called and said that the engine had sludge in it and it needed a $7,000 to $8,000 repair," she wrote.
"They also said it was my fault, because the oil had obviously not been changed properly. When I purchased the car, the Toyota dealer talked me into a $999 extended warranty plan, which he assured me would cover any major issues that might come up with a car. It is called their Tender Loving Care package."
Edward from Parma, Ohio received the Toyota brush-off despite promises of an extended warranty.
"I called the dealer and was basically told by their customer service manager that they refused to do anything and did not care if I chose to file a lawsuit or anything else, Edward told ConsumerAffairs.Com.
Lois from Cedar Rapids is still steaming over her treatment despite promises of an extended warranty.
"We received a letter from Toyota that indicated the engine was covered for a period of 8 years for engine sludge. In February of 2006, at 144,000 miles, the engine started making a loud noise. We were told that our car had 'blown a rod' and needed a new engine. We asked about the previous problem but were told that this was not related to the sludge problem and the car was not covered by Toyota."
The Toyota agreement the court is examining contains no finding of fault by Toyota or its dealers and does not prove Toyota or Lexus vehicles are predisposed to develop oil gel.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The Toyota sludge problem is about as real as Audi's unintended accleration problem.

As I read a bit of the nonsense, the 5SFE was used in literally millions of cars. More than just the Camry. So why is only the Camry listed?

Last edited:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
hummmm the infamus sluge issue i remmber way back when i was at lube shop we used to get thsou cars in and have sluge essiues

used to flush them all the time my best guess was impoper pvc system or some thing

it's kidnba msyty when some cars whould do and other's didn't

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I had a 5s celica that had been on synthetic oil it's entire life. It had 367,000 miles on it when I sold it. Had 65 psi oil pressure @ 3000 rpm, and didn't even smoke.

I never had a problem other than starter and alternator with this car.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Nick M said:
It isn't a mystery. It is called the owners.

reson why i said mystery is caus eall of them were reg poepel that showed up acoderign to oil date stickers some of them sluged up some didn't

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Gixxer now thats the kind of Toyota life I expect from my experience with Toyota owning family and friends back in the day. So far my Supra is showing 182k, I got around 50k on my Supra with the first engine, now I've got about 5k on my ebay jdm motor. It's running great, a little leak on the valve covers but that's about it so far. The whole jdm swap was 1150.00 that's 500.00 for the engine and 650.00 labor and juices. So If it can go 30k I feel I got my money's worth, now if it goes another 100k I'm gonna be a very happy camper.

According to Consumer Reports it wasn't just the Camry was it? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Some of folks say this is BS? Like the BHG there's probably some design flaw somwhere.

• Camry 4 cylinder from 1997-2001,
• Camry 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,
• Camry Solara 4 cylinder from 1999-2001,
• Camry Solara 6 cylinder 1999-2002,
• Sienna 6 cylinder from 1998-2002,
• Avalon 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,
• Celica 4 cylinder from 1997-1999,
• Highlander 6 cylinder from 2001-2002,
• Lexus ES 300 from 1997-2002 and
• Lexus RX 300 from 1999-2002

dav_dman

old guy
Oct 23, 2005
louisville KY/so.IN metro area
Nick M said:
It isn't a mystery. It is called the owners.

I've never had to add a drop of oil to any nissan engine i've ever owned...my current one is 18 yrs old and runnin' strong. Have owned many.

Yet i'm on my third and last isuzu engine, none of which lasted more than 60,000 miles without a major teardown. google 3.2 and 3.5 isuzu and you will see what is wrong with them.

I remember the GM car diesels...that lasted 50,000miles...

I've used synthetic since delvac was created. Except on the isuzu, which i went by the isuzu spec to the letter.

Even good manufacturers like toyota will mess up sometimes. Owners mess up too.. but statistics describe a population and a probability and this one weighs in on the design flaw side.

We're just gonna disagree on this, Nick.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Back to the topic at hand... sort of. I've often wondered why the 5MGE in the MA60 did not have a reputation for BHGs. It's effectively the same setup and gasket (and bolt torque), although the head is obviously quite a bit different.

The only conclusion I can think of is that it was in a lighter car and made less HP (~3000lb vs 3500lb and 145hp versus 200-230 hp).

The impact of this is, in my mind, that the engine is working quite a bit easier in the MA61, and the peak cylinder pressures are substantially lower, such that the fire rings are not getting enough force to distort as with the 7M. It must be on the hairy edge though, so I would imagine high mileage 5Ms might be expected to show some BHG symptons.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Back to the topic at hand... sort of. I've often wondered why the 5MGE in the MA60 did not have a reputation for BHGs. It's effectively the same setup and gasket (and bolt torque), although the head is obviously quite a bit different.
It is called the internet.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Not sure I agree. The sogi listserver and usenet was going back in late 80's early 90's and there was plenty of discussion on ma61's. I never heard of anyone who had an issue with BHGs and, personally I never had an issue either. Mine was at about 150k when I sold it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
3p141592654 said:
Not sure I agree. The sogi listserver and usenet was going back in late 80's early 90's and there was plenty of discussion on ma61's. I never heard of anyone who had an issue with BHGs and, personally I never had an issue either. Mine was at about 150k when I sold it.

The internet not spreading information about the Celica Supra was not my point. The internet speading stories of people who lost the headgasket and then repeated the process 5 or 6 times, then just say it is a design flaw.

I haven't compromised my coolant jackets either. Although I have seen it. Both cars had coolant leaks the owner did not see. Air, which is a good insulator, over the ECT sensor will not show an overheat condition.