Which 2jz engine have vvti

D

drumminforev

I been looking forever and i can not find out

so which have, for JDM and then for USDM

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
1998+ Supra Engines and GenII GS300 engines as well as the IS and SC engines, I believe.

VVTI is cool, but not that great. In fact, it might create more problems if you are swapping it in.

D

drumminforev

so are you saying all na motors have it, and newer supra motors do...

please explain possible problems

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Here is how good variable cam timing is. It is the best automotive invention in a long long time. Learn about the cam, and then you will realize why it is so good.

The new Mustang with its 3 valve head,(80's Honda technology) is outpowering the outgoing 4 valve supercharged engine when the 3 valve is boosted also. Not from the valve area, it is obviously less, but the cam timing. If you can control the timing, you can have a much more powerful car and more drivable in the low rev range.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I had one in my MKIII and it looked sweet as hell. I did not have high HP goals, but everyone gets bent out of shape 'cause they worry about untune-ability.

That was the old days... many of the newer standalones have wasted-spark/VVTi technology.... Jason at JPI was using an AEM I believe.

I got certain parts of the 1998+ wiring diagram translated.

So initially, everyone's fears are of the unknown. VVTi is a good thing... it adds timing smarts to the ECU and let's it adjust, according to the driving conditions. The stock ECU is easily capable of handling ~600HP.

testfit1.jpg

89_turborunner

Oct 1, 2006
Oregon
Nobody has said this, but i thought i would throw it out there, since many poeple think they are the same. VTEC (honda) is not much like VVTI at all.

Vtech has secondary pairs of cam lobes that operate secondary rocker arms, thus changing valve timing and lift/duration at ONLY one interval. There are two steps. like swapping a cam instantaneously.

VVTI is like an adjustable cam gear, but it is not a one step operation. It will change it's position relative to numerous inputs and the program in the ECU.

This is my interpretation of the two systems. please post constructively if i am mistaken.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
VTEC does not have adjustable lift in all the systems. They are nearly the same.

VVTi-L, the Toyota version, has variable lift with the same extra lobes.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
i-vtec is where its at you get all the goodness of vtec with the added bonus of +/- 25 degrees of cam timing match that up with a variable length intake manifold and you can do all kinds of crazy stuff to a motors power band but for your average guy on the street it just makes things more compicated to tune properly imo

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^Exactly tho... how many guys on the street are using aftermarket standalones anyways. Not that many.

If ya go with the 2J VVTi and modify the hell out of it, then tuning the standalone is just part of all that (and there are standalones that can be used).

The engine is a 2J, with a little bit extra technology. Mine actually came from a 99 Supra.

To the thread creator... VVTi is just fine, DEPENDING on your goals. If you want a 2J and do not plan to go beyond the limits of the stock ECU, go for it. If you are worried that it will not meet or facilitate your 1100 HP goal, then get sumthin' else.

89_turborunner

Oct 1, 2006
Oregon
Nick M said:
VTEC does not have adjustable lift in all the systems. They are nearly the same.

VVTi-L, the Toyota version, has variable lift with the same extra lobes.

Are you sure? do you have a link? I know this discussion of VTEC/VVTI is WAY off topic. But I didn't know what you are saying was true.