Where did the Mk 2 & 3 get their styling?

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
I think Ford kind of ripped off the MK3. Think so?

p267238_1.jpg

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
MK3Brent said:
Who here has gone **half wave** then take your hand down when you realize it's a BMW 850ci?

:rofl: Those bastards always fool me.
i hate when you do wave, and the other guy doesn't even see you :-/ that's pretty stupid, cause i always keep an eye out for other supras, in fact i don't think my prescense on the road has been acknowledged by any other supra i've seen thus far (since i fixed my car, was acknowleged by a mk2 ONCE)

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Its jut a pure 80's design to me. It was just a style for the time.
How many lift backs do you see coming out these days? 0 (for me at least).
Everythings a coupe or sedan now:3d_frown:

Edit: almost forgot about the Vette +1 for modern liftbacks

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Come on now, it's obvious where the design came from:
lc4.jpg

How could the design come from a BMW produced after the Supra?
The big Supra market was in the US, and the C4 Vette came out in 84. Toyota was probably looking at GM's design and wanted to release a car that would compete with the most popular comparable US made sports car at that time.

Last edited:

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
haha I've been tricked by a couple ferrari's... a little black one looked so much like an mkiii it's not even funny... I flipped my lights... she flipped back.. haha then I saw it was a ferrari.... lol

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Show me a front end from an IROC that looks like a Supra. Or the Trans Am. They are not even close. Neither is the jelly bean Ford Probe close to the Wedge Supra. I don't get it.

N

NDBoost

Nick M said:
Show me a front end from an IROC that looks like a Supra. Or the Trans Am. They are not even close. Neither is the jelly bean Ford Probe close to the Wedge Supra. I don't get it.
http://www.monchar.com/images/members/62900/62881_14463.jpg

1980's firebirds do look similiar to supras. they have the same basic features, popup headlights, long front hatch back the front angles down a bit.
http://www.incaland.com/firebird1989/images/FB-SideView.jpg

at a quick glance from a respectable distance trans am's/firebirds doo look like supras they also look somewhat like C4 vettes

drivinginstyle

May 6, 2006
Bellingham, WA
Well, I know Toyota has teamed up with people from other car companys, my MKI MR2 was partly designed by lotus. So who really knows where they got the idea's...? Either way, I love the style even after 20+ years

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Lotus and Toyota have had a long history of colaboration. Not sure how much so on the styling front, but it's certainly possible.

Lotus Esprit has Toyota tail lights from the 1984-85 Corolla 3-door hatchback.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That fireturd does not look like a Supra. A Ford truck looks like a Supra too. Long nose, two big doors, inline engine, just no pop up lights.

The NSX has similar lines, so does that BMW. And the 328 GTS does as well. In my opinion.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I agree on that firebird and the corvette as well. There is a local corvette that i've been looking at and its body lines remind me a lot of the mk3 supra. the front doesnt, neither to the taillights, but the general shape and angles of the car save for the steeper slant of the vette in the front make them look pretty similar. So yeah...in terms of body shape and size ques, they seem to be a good match... supra is better IMO though :biglaugh:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

exterior4-f.jpg

firebird8.JPG

EDIT= had to add the pontiac