Where did the Mk 2 & 3 get their styling?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
3000gt? how? aside from getting them to make a competing car that could stick with the supra...what else? i guess the whole shape is similar but the front is so much more round...as is the whole car. mitsubishi did give theirs that black strip though... makes it look like the front is split, like the supra...

i do see it in both cars i guess... more in the probe.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Figit090 said:
3000gt? how? aside from getting them to make a competing car that could stick with the supra...what else?
The lines, the headlights, the spoiler. Its a mk3 with some stupid vents all over. Plus the gas door is on the same side ;)

3000GT-3.jpg

Clinton

Power Blue!!
Apr 8, 2005
Sacramento, CA
kwnate said:
The lines, the headlights, the spoiler. Its a mk3 with some stupid vents all over. Plus the gas door is on the same side ;)

Mustangs of that era have the gas door there too :p

all you naysayers who seem to be getting your collective noses out of joint, and denying that the supra looks anything like the firebird, get your eyes checked :p

At least the firebird was one of the prettier cars coming out of detroit at the time -- I think everyone'll agree with me when I say that it looks acres better than a Camaro :p

CCC

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Cool cars have the gas tank on that side, also in general cool cars have the exhaust either on the left side or dual. Not set in stone, and uncool cars can have it on the left side, but usually if a car is cool, it will have the exhaust on the left ;).

[End wacko theory]

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
what year camaro and what year firebird? 85 ish? if so then i think i like the camaro. but somehow the personal image of the firebird/trans-am seems better. cameros are everywhere. i saw a firebird the other day...i really liked it. so maybe the firebird? it all depends on the color and body style.

i-rock camaros look good...the normal ones not so much. i like the sporty versions of both though. kind of a draw for me. but anyway.

I see the points on the 3000GT. i forgot about the spoiler. and i recently saw a dodge stealth and had it in mind so it wasnt as similar either.

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
Jeff Lange said:
Cool cars have the gas tank on that side, also in general cool cars have the exhaust either on the left side or dual. Not set in stone, and uncool cars can have it on the left side, but usually if a car is cool, it will have the exhaust on the left ;).

[End wacko theory]

Yay!!! Go DD Focus ZX5!!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
^^^ROFL. Damn Jeff's feeling spikey.

I thought Toyota had slated the Supra to compete directly with the Corvette market? I can definitely see styling cue's taken from both the high and low end of GM's sportscar offerings though. Anyone wanna post up three in a row of the various interiors? Of course we all know the Supra is superior, but you know, just for fun.

EDIT: 3000GT, start with a wing that looks alot like the pre89, move to a three piece which looks a lot like the wing off the 89+. Were these outsourced to the same company by both manufacturers?

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
Jeff Lange said:
Lotus and Toyota have had a long history of colaboration. Not sure how much so on the styling front, but it's certainly possible.

Lotus Esprit has Toyota tail lights from the 1984-85 Corolla 3-door hatchback.
...and Lotus is using the 1.8 litre 190hp Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine (used in Celica & Corolla) in their Elise/Exige, slightly retuned for more torque :)

ekd663

Nov 7, 2005
WI
Originally Posted by Clinton
all you naysayers who seem to be getting your collective noses out of joint, and denying that the supra looks anything like the firebird, get your eyes checked :p

"Strangely, Camaro comparisons seem natural with the new Supra. Perhaps that's because the two cars are so similar in size. With a 102.2in. wheelbase and overall length of 181.9 in., the Supra is much closer to the Camaro (wheelbase 101.0 in., length 192.0 in.) than it is to the 300ZX or RX-7."
"Motor Trend." March 1986.

I also have a Car and Driver article that criticizes the Supra for having styling influenced by the 300ZX, Camaro, and Corvette, but I can't find it right now.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well i'm glad they took the plunge and taking influences...its a nice looking car, and it's a toyota... i think of it as an imported corvette or something of that nature... but it does make sence...the market was already set for the style, so why not give it what it wants. but yeah...the corvette and lower-ends from GM do seem like influences.