Whats your Supra story??

frax

Mar 24, 2007
los alamos
about a year and a half ago i began looking for a car. Finally had the funds to get out of the tempo. Knew that i wanted rwd and manual tranny. started looking around and four a white 90 turbo hard top about 2 hours from where i lived. a friend needed to go there to get a key for his 944 ($800 porsche ftw). Went and looked at it and fell in love without every being in one. 2 weeks later i shatter my ankle. About 2 months later i call the guy to see if he still has it. He does and that weekend i am the proud owner of a supra.

2 months after buying it I am at an autoX and on the last run of the day it rodknocks. i am now rebuilding the 7m and am just waiting to get the money for pistons and then will hopefully get it put together and dropped back in.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I thought I would expand on mine since I found a picture that makes it more clear. This is taken from the top of Autobahn detailers in Toronto in 2004. There were more Supra's than this but organizing the picture took a long time and a bunch left.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

topguncam3888

Jan 13, 2008
Lancaster, PA
I saw my supra in the AutoLocator in York, PA. I drive over to York with my dad and I fell in love instantly. Red...targa...anyways this guy who owned it was a real "redneck". He actually had an Olds 4-4-2 parked on his front porch and a GTO in the front yard. He wanted $2200 firm. I was willing to pay right then and there because another kid came to look at the car. My dad talked me out of paying though. So I offered 2k, left my number, and walked. He called me up the next day and took my offer.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I knew sweet FA about Supras, and had never even seen one before I came into some money in 06, and went car shopping.

I was adamant I didn't want something ricey, but it had to be sexy and quick.

Saw my baby at Tokyo Imports (car yard), surrounded by Nissans (180s and GTRs), with no price on her.

Had a better look, and found out she was a fresh import from Jap land, with only 81,000kms (50330mi), plus she had pop up lights, and was targa... I was smitten!

Offered them $5,000 cash, and she was mine the following weekend :)

Less than 6 months later, she was stolen from my underground secure lock up garage (needed 2 keys to get in and out) and thought she was going to be gone forever.

2 and a half weeks later, the cops call, and they found her less than a km away from my apartment in another underground garage... She was stripped of everything bar the interior, engine and turbo. (missing parts: HKS tirbo timer, custom ic piping, all 4 wheels, steering wheel and column, bov, stereo, tools, etc etc etc)

She didn't move for 9 months (well, under push-power she did ;)), and then thanks to my wonderful bf, and a rather large cash donation from a friend, she roared to life May 2007 and has run without issues ever since :D

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
My story started when I was about 15 years old. My pops had boughten a 1985 MK2 I didn't really know about cars so I didn't care about it. it was brown and it had a sun roof. it was 5spd too. Where we lived there was an Mk3 it is an 89 turbo targa 5spd original paint color is dark blue.The guy always parked by our SUPRA and my dad started talking to him, my pops said "if you ever wanna get rid of it let me know". Well as a year went by my dad said the mk2 ran like crap so he gave up on it and sold it. We owned a few other cars after that. Then came the day the guy got an IS 300 and said he was getting rid of the Supra. He wanted $1800 for it. So my dad took it for a test drive and with all the things wrong with he talked him down to 800bucks. So we payed him in payments. As the car sat in the same spot people noticed that it the Mk3 didnt move, so they put a notice that they were gonna tow it. So we would go and knock the cob webs off and took the sticker off. Then we told the guy and he moved it. 4 weeks later we got the car. PROUD SUPRA OWNER SINCE 2005

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
My first car was a super clean lifted 86 4 runner. but i wasnt into 4wheelin and i needed speed so i bought a sport bike. then got tired of both so I sold them. My friend has an 83 supra and 2 85 supras. so we jokingly talked about me getting an mk3. then i started looking and found one that was in my price riange with low miles. a 1992 turbo with only 100k for 5000. Supra since then.

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
my first supra,. the one no one knows i have, and the one that no one will ever know about, is the one that i drive around. i saw a certain movie haha, and saw not that it was a nice rice-a-roni car, but when he took off from a stop and smoked the guy in the ferarri when all he said was nice car. i have gotten shit from everyone for everything my whole life, so i kinda liked that one certain scene and thought it would be nice to own one some day. i saw an add on the internet for an 89 supra, and i was like hey, i wanna go see what these things look like in real life. not what i expected haha. i sold my limited edition paul gilbert ibanez, and my mesa boogie roadster 2x10 combo and sold my cell phone to get that damn car...bad bad bad choice as the passenger side looks like God himself had smacked it, it has a bent effin frame, a SUPER touchy tps, and its an damn automatic. but, it is targa, and has a decent stereo in it, so late at night i go driving in the coutry, zooming around by myself, listening to dimmu borgir, and wondering how the hell i got here in life. my supra is much much more than a car to me.

i paid a whoipping 1200 bucks for this car...and i will keep it till the day i die, regardless of the condition it is in.

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
My father is the original owner of my 92 Turbo. He purchased it new in 1993 and also traded in his 87 or 88 Supra Turbo for it (can't remember which year it was). I was only 6 when he bought it, but interestingly I still remember when he bought it; I think I even remember the day he got it or at least seeing it at the dealership before he did. I also can remember riding in the back seats when I was a kid, so it's pretty cool to think about it now that I drive it.

It was daily driven from 93 to about 01 or so, when my dad got another car and the Supra was then driven on weekends or every few days. It was then not daily driven for a couple of years. When I got my drivers license a few years after that, he passed the Supra on to me. Definitely no question what I wanted to drive, and I'm definitely fortunate and appreciate having it and to have it given to me. I've daily driven it since then, so for the last 4-5 years. I hate putting miles on it, but I love driving it.

My Supra has definitely been cared for and has been extremely reliable. It has only been down a week total its entire life (HG).

I see a few others have had their Supra passed on within their family also, or are the original owners, and that's really great to see. I have absolutely zero intention of ever selling it and have and will continue to keep it in tip-top shape.

Last edited:

Reaper Man

I'm the responsible one
Jun 10, 2007
MA
the owner I bought if from, friend of mine, used to be a trucker. he bought it in VA (I think) when it was only a year or so old. Moved to TX, then moved up to RI. He was moving back to TX but at that point, the AC compressor seized and he didn't feel like trailoring it out. He offered it to a NASIOC forum, where I was second in line to purchase it. It was runnning at the time with just a burning oil issue. The asking price? $500 because he had just put new tires on it. The person that was 1st on the dibs list, a well known hill climb racer with an insane orange turbo'd and fender flared GC impreza, decided that he wanted to concentrate on the impreza project and that truboing the NA motor was not something he wanted to do, so I got a chance to purchase it. Which I did, much to the chagrin of my wife.

I drove the car for 3 years, always looking for the opportunity to turn it into greatness when the BHG showed it's ugly head. I decided to park it until I could then turn it into a track car. It then sat for almost 2 years when I got a full time teaching position. With my summer pay, I purchased a motor, tranny, and many, many parts to create it into a decently respectable monster. Alas, I purchased the motor from tigerjapanese and they sold an engine that was very, very messed up. A couple of months ago, I learned that my wife and I are expecting our first child. This news was very joyous, but also very saddening to me because it meant the end of my supra dreams.

Where I then sold it for super cheap in the hopes of helping someone else with it. Playing it forward if you will

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Reaper Man;928478 said:
the owner I bought if from, friend of mine, used to be a trucker. he bought it in VA (I think) when it was only a year or so old. Moved to TX, then moved up to RI. He was moving back to TX but at that point, the AC compressor seized and he didn't feel like trailoring it out. He offered it to a NASIOC forum, where I was second in line to purchase it. It was runnning at the time with just a burning oil issue. The asking price? $500 because he had just put new tires on it. The person that was 1st on the dibs list, a well known hill climb racer with an insane orange turbo'd and fender flared GC impreza, decided that he wanted to concentrate on the impreza project and that truboing the NA motor was not something he wanted to do, so I got a chance to purchase it. Which I did, much to the chagrin of my wife.

I drove the car for 3 years, always looking for the opportunity to turn it into greatness when the BHG showed it's ugly head. I decided to park it until I could then turn it into a track car. It then sat for almost 2 years when I got a full time teaching position. With my summer pay, I purchased a motor, tranny, and many, many parts to create it into a decently respectable monster. Alas, I purchased the motor from tigerjapanese and they sold an engine that was very, very messed up. A couple of months ago, I learned that my wife and I are expecting our first child. This news was very joyous, but also very saddening to me because it meant the end of my supra dreams.

Where I then sold it for super cheap in the hopes of helping someone else with it. Playing it forward if you will

duuude i think i bought your car!!!! damn things got some history behind it huh.

Reaper Man

I'm the responsible one
Jun 10, 2007
MA
kotu100;928500 said:
duuude i think i bought your car!!!! damn things got some history behind it huh.
yea, you did. I don't know if you got my message, but I ended up leaving the ecu and harness adn such in there- so happy birthday:)

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
here is my boreing and short story. lol

ok so i bought the car from the origanal owner (my very good friend) with 180,000 miles in augest since then i gave it a tune up, cold air intake, and custom exhaust. oh by the way its a non-turbo end of next summer im droping the 1JZ in it. yeah!!!!!
all done
oh and if you live in the northeren virginia area around DC, PM me i wanna start a supra club.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
man, im really glad i asked all you guys, what im gathering from all of you is that for the huge majority of people, unless in a pich, once you own a supra, you wont ever not own one.....

cool stuff, kinda deep

xljdmsupralx

Nov 18, 2007
Oklahoma
This was back in November of 07'...I had an Infiniti G20, which I rebaged and called it a Nissan Primera. I did the basics on it, system, intake, exhaust, drop, and tint. I had problems with it though, It had a Transmission issue. The flywheel on the car was a one piece until somehow it snapped into two about three times occuring about every three months. I got fed up with it and took it to the transmission shop and they found out that there was a piece that holds the transmission and the block together which was busted and that it would cost me around 3 grand to fix it. I didnt want to mess with it because I bought the car for fifteen hundred dollars. SO, I sold the car to the transmission shop and then looked around in the newspaper and knowing me I wanted my dream car which was an MKIII Supra. I didnt really like the MKIV that much, because it looked too round for me...but before this, I had prior knowledge about the 7M because my dad drove a 90' Toyota Cressida for about 8-9 years and I liked it so much, but the power was not all that great. Then recently my dad got into an accident with the car which was not his fault and I missed that car. So, I wanted to change things up a bit and go for a Supra that I wanted for so long and found one, It is a blue 89' with blue exterior and blue interior with a sunroof, I wanted a targa top, but couldnt find one at the time because I was in dying need for a car. So, I went and looked at the car and it was nice, the timing belt had been replaced because it had 242,000 miles on it, which is now 245,000+ and it still drives great, the headgasket has been replaced also, so hopefully I'll keep this car and drive it.

The history behind the car is that it was red, but painted blue and that a local news reporter had this car and sold it and bought herself a 92' Supra and this guy that I bought it from, his daughter drove it and regrets for selling the car.

_mikey

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
I've had a few supras, and all of them have had stories. The most interesting one was probably the first one:

My first supra I bought from a guy in the bad part of Bridgeport, the automatic transmission blew up on the way back to my house. I paid $1200 for the car, sank $6k into it, and sold it for $1000. The steering wheel had 'god help me' written on it in such a way that you could only see it at certain angles. It drove over its own foglight. It blew the headgasket and went for 5k more miles before I realized I actually had a BHG. The car had neoprene seat covers, and the targa leaked, so in a rainstorm each front seat would be a pond. It broke down 3 times because of 1 poorly connected wire. I bent the 2 front sawblades driving in NY so bad they couldn't be fixed. The list goes on...

Even though that car was a pain, I was hooked. I have since bought 5 more Supras, all but 1 are gone now.