Whats your Supra story??

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Loved the car when I was in the Army but I could never afford one. Guy I used to work with had a really clean 89 that I bought 3 years ago. The rest is history...

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
my second oldest brother always seemed to have a japanese car, he had 4 mitsubishi starions, all turbo, he eventually ended up owning 2 MK3 supras one was a 86.5 the other was a 87(non-turbo cars). 1 car was blue 1 was maroon, both had a 5-speed in it. he first owned the blue car, that car had the TEMS suspension, thsi car he had plans for, when one day a old ass lady t-boned him leaving work. the car sat, then he bought the next one, the maroon car had a bad head gasket, and didn't run, he just took the motor out the blue car and put it in the maroon car. The maroon car is the car I learned how to drive a stick in. thats basically my story, I've always like dsupras, when I saw mine on ebay, I bidded and won the same night.

I guess my real search for a MKIII started a few months after I got my license. Originally I just was looking for some beater to buy because I only had about $3000 and my family isn't that well-off so I had to find something affordable. After thinking about it some I realized I wouldn't really be happy with just some old sedan and started looking for older sports cars, mostly N/A Z31s, fCs, and eventually I came across a $600 MKIII with BHG. Went on a long trip to Atlanta and bought it for $400, and swapped a JDM 7M-GTE in and for about $4500 I have a pretty nice Supra to drive around =)

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
some nice stories on here, not sure if mine can even compare.
for the last 10 or so years i've always loved the mkiv supra. the body lines, stance, and Twin turbo, targa topped, 6 speed goodness just made me drool. a year or so ago i saw one for sale off a back road near my house, it was an 89+ w/ some chrome 17" wheels bot other than that it was bone stock. that week i told myself i would buy a supra to call my own. i found one local on ebay and was bidding on it till it got up to $1500 which was too rich for my blood.
<fast forward>
about a year later (december 07) i was looking through nasioc.com (my girl has a swapped GC8) and i came across an add in the classifieds. it was a Red 89 n/a targa 5 spd. no engine no tranny and a couple pics of the outside. i had to have this car!!! after talkin to the guy for a week trying to schedule the pick up (during which time he sold the MINT grey leather seats to GTSfirefighter... BAH :p) i made it down there to get the car, gave him his benjamin and headed home finally a happy supra owner. Now i had to find a drivetrain, the next week in the wantad i see 2 supras for sale by the same person. an 87 turbo targa 5spd is what im intrested in. i give him a call and schedule to look @ the car that weekend. i decided that i'd use it because it had a full engine/tranny, but no rad. support, bumper, header panel, and some more rust on the body than i'd like.
so now about 2 months later and i got another week or so till i get to drive a supra for the 1st time in my life and im sure im gonna LOVE it.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
PROJECT N00b;924427 said:
My story is pretty interesting/boring...depending on how you see it.

The Supra has been in the family since December of 1986 ^_^.

My aunt bought it from Toyota of Glendale back in the day. I remember riding in the back seats of a reddish car when i was a little kid, turns out it was the supra!

My aunt the original aunt sold it to my god mother after someone rear ended her in the miata.

Anyways, My godmother gave me the car for my grad present...for free!!! I dont remember when i started to love the car, all i know is that i didnt have my license yet.

the day i joined the forums was the day i really began researching on the MK3 supra. which happens to be 3 years ago ^_^

My dad how ever just picked up his 89 5spd HT GTE today for 2450. He saw it two weeks ago and fell in love ever since, hes like a little kid and it is his first turbo car. The car is silver and completely stock, it has a tear in the rear cover and the seats are a little faded. hes super excited about it and constantly says "Turbo" haha, its cool to see my dad finally getting something i love!
it's YOURS but you don't get to drive it! :biglaugh: i def. have to roll by and check out your dad's 89. now you can buy something from the vendors and make a profit by selling it to your dad for a higher price! :aigo:

MK_rider

Nov 17, 2007
wisconsin
In the summer of 07, i was on craigslist looking for a sports car. my brother was always bragging about how fast 300zx were. (but he has an NA) so i wanted a car that would prove to him. so i found this supra not too far from where i live. i decided to check it out since it was only 1500. when i first layed eyes on her i fell in love with it. she was an 87t hardtop 5speed. i couldn't pass this oppertunity soo i decided heck i can fix her up. and thats how i got her.

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
When I was around 13, I was looking for a new hobby to get into.

A buddy of mine started to get me into cars. And a neighbor had a single turbo 95 Supra, and he gave me a ride, I was hooked. I started looking for a way to get a Supra, I didn't care what it was, or what it looked like, a Supra = a Supra in my eyes.

After everybody laughing at me, saying I would never own one, it pushed me harder to actually get one. So at 14 years old, I was officially a Supra owner. Nobody believed that I had it, let alone that I knew what I was doing, so I thought I would prove them wrong.

I first jumped to restoration, removing most of the rust and filling with bondo, then painting. I never did that good of a job. But I bought the car with my money, and got it running on my own. After searching the internet I found CelicaSupra.com, which my immature acts pretty much blew my reputation there as a kid, but oh well, my car made me happy, I can care less what anyone thinks of me.

Then after a turbo attempt, I foolishly blew the motor, parted it out, saved some money, and bought a 87 Supra. I am currently 16, but I'm quitting the forums soon. I'm buying a MkIV, plan to get a job TIG welding and move on from there.

Not interesting I know, but it goes to show everyone that anything is possible. If I would have listened to what the guys were telling me, I wouldn't have had either car, and wouldn't have known anything about them.

MigXSupra

Jan 24, 2008
banbury
OneJoeZee;925016 said:
I bought mine thinking it was a Ford Probe which is what I really wanted. :(

herrr why would u want a probe?

i had my first supra 4 years back now. was all happy.91 na auto with a litle bit of rust. ended up in france with a big end failure. (something to do with taking it to the wrong side of the 140m.
then... my 2nd was a 90 red na manual (i was getting closer to what i wanted) had it for 7 or 8 months and ended up selling it to fund my trip to brasil with my ex fiance.
3rd one 1ggte in black auto 91 again. (finally i had a turbo, 2 in fact) but was a little bit dissapointed with the lack of power on it. ended up giving it away to get my 4th one fixed. and again a 91 turbo manual. finally i had what i wanted.
now i just need to get it in all is former glory.

and i had a probe as well 2.5 v6 (comparing to the supra was a :barf: )
first time i have seen a supra was instant love. stoped the range rover. knocked at the owners door and asked him how much he wanted for the car.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Back in '00, one of the guys I worked w/ decided he was selling his 87 supra due to a BHG. A tech in the shop bought it before I could get the money, and proceeded to repair it. I bugged the tech about it so much the week he was fixing it, he sold it to me for $1500. Ever since then I've been tinkering w/it. Not to mention after 15 yrs of working for Toyota, you kinda get hooked.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
i was 16 and would spend all day just looking at cars to get and one day i was driving down the road (moms car) and i saw her sitting for sale and i quickly pulled over and and looked at it and i was in love:love: it was a 88 n/a (car in sig). thanks about it, kinda boring lol , but no plans of owning anything else anytime soon!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I was 17 and noticed one on the road and thought, "wow, that's a Supra?!?!"

Fast forward two years, i'm 19 and sick of my 91 accord which was supposed to be a cheap car. I was spending all kinds of cash to keep it running. Axles, motor mounts (all 4 of them), wheel hubs, suspension parts from when the P.O. tried to tow it by the rear stabilizer bar, and so on. It had accident damage and was just not my cup-o-tea.

I figured if I was going to spend 500 every 6 months on repairs, why not drive a nicer car? Started looking around and thought of an old supra. Searched wikipedia, which led to this piece of heaven on Earth(supramania), and all of a sudden I'm hooked.

I read up on just about everything about the car and start looking like crazy for a possible trade. I found many that were *just* too expensive and the sellers wouldn't take anything less than asking price. I test drove 5 supras before finding my '90 N/A Targa 5 spd. I test drove it, loved it and knew it would be mine. I went home, posted my very clean looking Accord on craigslist and had it sold WITHIN 5 HOURS!! I even got 5 more than bluebook. :) I went that night to pick up the Supra, for 500 UNDER bluebook. :love: I love it, but its been expensive, lol.

Owned it nearly 9 months now and its cost me over 2 grand in parts alone. Most has been maintenance or one time replacements(Tranny rebuild, BHG(crosses fingers...) so hopefully this first year will be all investment and the next year will be much cheaper. :) Who am I kidding, all the money will simply go towards performance parts.

All in all, I love my Supra along with all its problems. I've learned more about cars in the last year than I would have ever guessed.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I bought my first supra off a co-worker at Honda (yes I work for Honduh). It was a 87 N/A auto hardtop with maroonish bad paint, distressed interior, and a half running motor. I cleaned and fixed the car for a DD and slowly fell in love with the quality of the car. Two years later a friend found me a silver 89 turbo 5-speed targa w/5 spoke wheels:love:. It had the BHG a blown rad and a few other issues. I sold the 87 to my friend, and rebuilt the 89. I will probably keep this one unless I find a 91-92 with a sunroof. I will no longer settle for an inferior car unless it is a DD.:biglaugh:

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Bought mine for really cheap because the owner thought it had BHG after it overheated and wouldnt start. When i went to look at it, he cranked it up and it actually started. Sounded beastly with the glasspack, but i took it off cause it was super loud. He ended up sellin it because the crankshaft keyway was kinda messed up, so it sounded like it was knocking...

I bought my supra with the intentions of putting the 7m and 5 spd into a cressida i had bought, but i discovered that the mounting places of the supra were different from the cressida. So now, i have the supra running and the cressida still awaits a transplant.

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Feb 23, 2006
Pa
I think this is nifty so I'll chime in. I bought mine from a guy upstate PA, had been looking for a while and found one that looking inside and out in great condition. Turns out everything was great besides a cheap ass turbo/IC setup that took a dump within days. Oh and a phantom leak from the cps shaft, leaky slave cylinder, and cheap everything... Well it's under the knife still but it made over 400whp after my rebuilding and hopefully will see much higher numbers come summer :)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
MigXSupra;925223 said:
herrr why would u want a probe?

i had my first supra 4 years back now. was all happy.91 na auto with a litle bit of rust. ended up in france with a big end failure. (something to do with taking it to the wrong side of the 140m.
then... my 2nd was a 90 red na manual (i was getting closer to what i wanted) had it for 7 or 8 months and ended up selling it to fund my trip to brasil with my ex fiance.
3rd one 1ggte in black auto 91 again. (finally i had a turbo, 2 in fact) but was a little bit dissapointed with the lack of power on it. ended up giving it away to get my 4th one fixed. and again a 91 turbo manual. finally i had what i wanted.
now i just need to get it in all is former glory.

and i had a probe as well 2.5 v6 (comparing to the supra was a :barf: )
first time i have seen a supra was instant love. stoped the range rover. knocked at the owners door and asked him how much he wanted for the car.

It was a joke.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I wanted something that would piss off my wife every time she went into the garage. I win!!!!!!:biglaugh:

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Welllllll that was one day, about 8 or 9 years ago. Once cloudy afternoon I came back from day-camp and saw a nice car in front of my house. I of course though ''Well what Probe is that now??''. A couple of minutes later I found out it's my dads :D.
Now years went by and we with my friends just though what a nice car it is etc. I wasn't VERY interested in it actually. My attention was drawn more towards a Camaro in front of a block of flats near my house ;)
Now....3 years back I guess, the car went into a paintshop for 1 year (dad didn't have much money, so he tried to stretch out the process, so it'd be cheaper). I didn't even think about the car actually (about driving it I mean, maybe cause my dad always said he MAYBE would let me drive it sometimes), and my mothers C2 was ment to be mine when I get 18.
Now the car gets back from the painting and something in me, and I guess my dad too, snaps. He doesn't want to DD it anymore and there's actually nothing to do with it other than let me drive it :D That's the time when I get excited about the car and really start liking it.
This is the time, when ''restoring'' begins. Though at that point of time I wasn't 18 yet, but still, my dad let's me drive it a bit ( I had the license that requires a adult to be in the next seat). I drive silently and calmly, with an objective not to be ''spotted'' by the police.
I turn 18 and change my driving habits to a bit more aggressive ones. That's the time, when the rebuilds chime in :D

Pretty much my story :)