What's your next computer upgrade?

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
What are you going to ask for it?

GeneStarWindGSW said:
For anyone interested, you can buy my computer system off me =)
I'd want to sell it and buy more supra parts lol.

I built this computer from scratch before i had my supra :biglaugh:

I currently run Windows XP Pro x64 On it.
Vista FTL!

P.S - I do have Vista Ultimate on as a seperate partition, but i don't use it =)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Kai said:
Quad Core is cheap - but right now - hardly any apps i use actually USE the second core - even half life 2 episode 2, whilst supposedly multithreaded and even with r_threaded_renderables set to 1, it still doesnt actually use the second core all that much....

Plus - Graphics card is more of a priority!

Hard disks...well, try having 3 Seasons of Battlestar Galactica, 2 Seasons of EUReKA, Jericho, Heroes, Stargate Atlantis in HD, as well as in SD, every episode to date of Stargate SG-1, Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: DS9, Star Trek: Enterprise and a few scattered eps of ST:VOY, Life on Mars, Numb3rs, House and Overhaulin...and 120 xvid movies, 14gb of Apps and OS's, 35gb of Games....

It all mounts up :D

I am playing HL2 and I haven't checked the exact settings, but it looks amazing. I have a X1950Pro as well. I am playing the game at 1680x1050 on a 22"WS. I am only running an Opteron 165 [dual 1.8ghz] and 2GB of DDR [DDR-1] memory, with a striped pair of 80GB drives and I have zero problems, stutters, glitches, etc..
Still it doesn't seem like you need a video card, even for HL2. The only thing I think that you NEED, as you have said, is more disk space.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
eh.

Running a BFG i650 board (775) with a e2160 (well, I have to buy the e2160 still) that I'm going to overclock the beejeesus out of. I've got a Thermaltake watercooling system that I've had for like... 2-3 years now?

Running an ATI X1900GT, with 2.0Gb ram, and twin 500gb SATAII Seagate drives.

It's a basic desktop system, that I've got just for when I'm not on my m1210 - 7400, T7200, 2.0Gb ram, 160Gb hdd - it's the workhorse ;)

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Trust me - i need a new video card :p

open the console and type: cl_showfps 1

That'll give you the framerate....with mine set to 2xMSAA, Very High Details on everything - i get from 33fps to 108fps depending on the level.

Bioshock is a little stuttery from time to time too...

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i just need to buy a barebone kit from newegg or tigerdirect that can run solidworks and autocadd. I dun care wut i just need a good bus speed and atleast a gig of ram. Im going external USB HD from now on.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
My next computer will be a Mac Pro.

I used to upgrade my computer (desktop PC) every two years, but now I think I've reached a level of performance that I'm happy with. As long as I don't need some new game or upgrade to Vista (never gonna happen) then it's more than adequate for my needs.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
new case, more harddrive space, maybe a new mobo but i dont want to upgrade to vista just yet as i havent been that impressed with it thus far.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Kai said:
Um - Hitachi drives have been the most reliable drives i've ever used...faster and more formatted capacity than other branded drives. I've always used them and never had any problems.

I know that with the IBM hard drives that we use at school and my summer jobs, they fail. They are re-badged Deskstars.

Last edited:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Hitachi MAKE the Deskstar - they bought IBM's storage division YEARS ago. IBM branded deskstars were nicknamed 'deathstars' for their unreliability - since hitachi bought the division, they win again and again for speed, capacity, reliability, access time, power consumption....

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Kai said:
IBM branded deskstars were nicknamed 'deathstars' for their unreliability -
Only the 60GXP model were unreliable. 75GXPs were fine, which I believe was still when IBM owned it. It wasn't Hitachi who made them suddenly reliable, IBM fixed it before :)

I stopped being a computer geek when I bought my Supra, and found it was a lot more fun to work on a car then a PC.

With that being said, I build an awesome system about 2 years ago:

Dual core 4400+, currently running 2.6ghz (from stock 2.0ghz). It's been fast enough for the last 2 years. If it ever became slow, I still have a lot more potential left in it (I mean, I have 37C temps with full load on both cores)
2gb ram (can't remember what kind)
2x Raptor (10,000rpm) 75gb in raid0
2x Raptor 150gb in raid0
Radeon X850XT

case%2013.JPG

and, inside: http://offsite.lostjournal.com/rob/Computer Pics/silverbox/case 12.jpg

The only upgrade I would ever want for it right now is a Dell 30" LCD monitor, and a couple nice video cards to run it's insane 2560 x 1600 resolution.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
annoyingrob said:
Only the 60GXP model were unreliable. 75GXPs were fine, which I believe was still when IBM owned it. It wasn't Hitachi who made them suddenly reliable, IBM fixed it before :)

I stopped being a computer geek when I bought my Supra, and found it was a lot more fun to work on a car then a PC.

With that being said, I build an awesome system about 2 years ago:

Dual core 4400+, currently running 2.6ghz (from stock 2.0ghz). It's been fast enough for the last 2 years. If it ever became slow, I still have a lot more potential left in it (I mean, I have 37C temps with full load on both cores)
2gb ram (can't remember what kind)
2x Raptor (10,000rpm) 75gb in raid0
2x Raptor 150gb in raid0
Radeon X850XT

case%2013.JPG

and, inside: http://offsite.lostjournal.com/rob/Computer Pics/silverbox/case 12.jpg

The only upgrade I would ever want for it right now is a Dell 30" LCD monitor, and a couple nice video cards to run it's insane 2560 x 1600 resolution.

Had a 60gig Deathstar (probably the model you mentioned...I'll have to check when I get home), bought it new back in '02....6 months later....drive dead. Before that happened, buddy of mine bought one as well....got it brand new with bad sectors on it. I'll never buy a Deskstar drive again, even if it's not IBM anymore....I'm a Seagate guy now, I've NEVER had a problem with their drives. *Knocks on wood*