What to buy now

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
hey guys it has been awhile but i have finally got settled down to married life and ready to try and finish my car i have a 1989 turbo 5 speed i have a 61-trim turbo, walbro 255, all new arp bolts, mgh,resurface head and block,lexus afm, nonturbo cam, 3 inch turbo elbow, 3 inch exhaust all the way back, hard pipes, and autometer boost gauge and air fuel mix gauge. now i'm ready to try to get some horse out of the car. what do i need to do to get my car right as far as fuel system please use the full names on any products you list i have about 800.00 i plan to spend but in that 800.00 i want to get a boost controller so please let me know what i need to get for the ecu or the fuel system itself i'm not to wild on having to put 550 injectos in it but i will if i have to, i just want a good car done right so please let me know what you all think. or if you have any setups for sell that migth meet what i'm tring to do let me know also thanks.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Well I suppose the first question that comes to mind is , why do you not want the 550cc injectors? You have done all the other upgrades that go with the 550's?? You want more hp. From what I have read the lex afm is a combo plate with 550's. I think without the 550’s you will run really rich. After that you should get a better intercooler, and a way to tune like an SAFC-II. It looks like you have gotten the rest covered. Boost controller is going to cost you about 300 of the 800, unless you find someone here selling a used one. Get a turbo timer (I will have a few for sale in a few days cheap!) Are you going to install this yourself? The SAFC-II is about 275.00. and I am paying someone to install mine. There is a new intercooler here that everyone likes for about 320.00 with fittings. bigaaron has them for sale, I am getting one soon. Its good for over 400hp I think. The SAFC-II should be high on your list if not first, Tune what you have and you will run better. After you get what you can find a dyno place to tune it for you, unless you have a wideband and know how to do it. Also you may want to get a dyno run before any more upgrades so you can compare the before and after. I am not the best expert here to be telling you this however we have the same basic setup and I have been collecting parts and info to reach about 400hp. The advice I have given you is what I have been given from others. I am sure more people will chime in.

Good luck I think with everything I mentioned and about 100.00 to get it tuned I may have gone over the 800.00 limit but you could be close to 400hp with the correct install.

To all that read this.. If I have given poor advice please correct me I am here to learn so beat me up if you have to.. :biglaugh:

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
thank you so much for you help now to open a can or worms what is a SAFC-II i have seen it list for years and still don't understand it what do i have to tune any help like this i have gotten will be great thanked

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
HKS VPC (~$1500-$2000 new)
HKS MAP sensor
HKS IAT sensor
HKS patch harness (already wired and ready to go)
Apexi S-AFC II (~$300 new)
what about this setup that is in the forsale section thanks

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Well an SAFC-II is a computer controller that wires into your computer under your passenger side dash. I can not answer the question about the HKS items, but the SAFC-II will help tune the car to the new upgrades and from what I am told it is important to get something like it. The SAFC-II is not the ONLY option. It is the option I am getting installed. Did a GOOGLE on HKS VPC and found this ---

"HKS VPC (vein pressure converter) The HKS VPC is designed to physically and electronically replace OEM air metering devices which present a significant restriction to the intake system. OEM metering devices offer no adjustment or reprogramming options to take advantage of dramatically higher air flow or larger fuel injectors. The VPC converts both air flow meter and air mass sensor systems to what is referred to as speed density systems, by utilizing a 16 bit central processing unit. This unit reads its own intake air temperature sensor and absolute pressure transducer (B-MAP sensor) signals. This unique conversion feature not only allows the VPC to replace the factory air flow metering device, but in most cases, it eliminates the need for a fuel cut defencer. Another benefit of the VPC is the ability to create programs to take advantage of larger HKS fuel injectors and larger turbos. In some specific instances, the VPC may be used in addition to the PFC F-Con and larger injectors for the ultimate in HKS plug-in fuel system technology. VPC equipped vehicles respond quicker with improved horsepower. "

How fast we go over the 800.00 limit... :naughty:

Good luck

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
so with that fact found does that do the same as the SAFC-II i just don't understand what the differece is and what is needed sorry to be a pain thanks for you help

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Well it looks to me like you get the SAFC-II and you dont "need" the other stuff. I cant say that the other items are never needed. I just know based on your list of mods and myne that you only need the SAFC-II and 550cc injectors and an intercooler.

then you will have the same mods I have give or take 1 or 2 things...

confusatron

Aug 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
JMDigital said:
Well I suppose the first question that comes to mind is , why do you not want the 550cc injectors? You have done all the other upgrades that go with the 550's?? You want more hp. From what I have read the lex afm is a combo plate with 550's. I think without the 550’s you will run really rich.

To all that read this.. If I have given poor advice please correct me I am here to learn so beat me up if you have to.. :biglaugh:

Not bo beat you up, but...If you run that Lexus AFM with stock injectors, you will run LEAN, which is VERY BAD. You are running the risk of detonation, and losing your motor. Basically, you HAVE to get 550's in there as soon as possible or you may destroy your motor very quickly. So get those in there first before you drive it again. That's all I know, there may be more fuel system parts you need as well. I think you may also need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Good luck.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
im gonna agree you need an injector upgrade. with the bigger turbo and lex afm you need the extra fuel.
what i would do at this point is the injectors, afc, and boost controller. you can these 3 things for $800 and will really start on the way of making some safe and reliable power on your car.

supramk3man said:
ok so one more question how do i hook up the safc=2 and what all does it do thanks so much for your time

where are you in ky? ive hooked up 6 of these and would be willing to give you a hand. i also sell performance parts, but somethings you might find cheaper on ebay.

let me know what i can do to help.

dave

edit- i just went to see the parts for sale you were talking about. $650 is a heck of a good deal. but you still need injectors, so you may have to go over the budget.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Don't waste your money on the Lex AFM and SAF-C and boost controller.

Get MAF-T Pro.

It allows you to not use a lex afm so you can run a filter right on your turbo, it has a electonic boost controller in it, has 10 times more capabilities than SAF-C II. Has timing control (some) and is well under your price range.

Dont waste your money on dozen of controls that will make your wiring a mess.

Just get one (maf-t pro) and be done with it.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
confusatron said:
Not bo beat you up, but...If you run that Lexus AFM with stock injectors, you will run LEAN, which is VERY BAD. You are running the risk of detonation, and losing your motor. Basically, you HAVE to get 550's in there as soon as possible or you may destroy your motor very quickly. So get those in there first before you drive it again. That's all I know, there may be more fuel system parts you need as well. I think you may also need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Good luck.

ARG.. I knew it was 1 or the other... ok I had a 50/50 shot!! thanks for the correction.. I was counting on other replys to set me straight..

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Take DBSUPRA90 up on the help. If you have to ask how to hook the safc up you need help. I looked at installing myne and I did not try, its over my head. As to the MAF-T Pro I have heard that argument also I dont have any experience with either and by the time I has gotten info on it I had allready purchased the SAFC. It is worth looking at if you have not purchased anything yet. And get those 550's ASAP..

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
yeah thanks for the info on that i changed back to a stock afm once i notice the car ran lean i only put 3/10 of a mile on the car with the lexus i have one but i'm not using it until i figure out what i need to do with the fuel to be able to step up the boost but thanks anyways

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
s383mmber1 said:
Don't waste your money on the Lex AFM and SAF-C and boost controller.

Get MAF-T Pro.

It allows you to not use a lex afm so you can run a filter right on your turbo, it has a electonic boost controller in it, has 10 times more capabilities than SAF-C II. Has timing control (some) and is well under your price range.

Dont waste your money on dozen of controls that will make your wiring a mess.

Just get one (maf-t pro) and be done with it.

im a big supporter of the maftpro too. but he already has the lex afm and wanted to spend $800 for everything. that is the only reason i didnt mention it.

also- is this mike out in campton?

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
dbsupra90 said:
im a big supporter of the maftpro too. but he already has the lex afm and wanted to spend $800 for everything. that is the only reason i didnt mention it.

also- is this mike out in campton?

O ok, i would still go with the Maf-t pro though.....

Maf-t pro FTW

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
yeah this is mike out of campton guys i don't care to go either way on any of this i just want the best thing for the car i can hook up anything i think but i have to first understand where it goes and what it does i guess the question is i will get the 550cc and have them in by this weekend i can always resell the lexus so with this said what is the best rout to go thanks