what oil are you guys running in ur 1jz?

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
yea i wanted to ask about amsoil. whats the deal with that? i heard its suppose to be the best oil out there but what makes it so good and if it really is that good where can i find it? my cuzin says it rare so whenever he finds some he buys a few cases. ????? anyone care to shine some light on this?
i know redline is great stuff. i got a teacher up at school that worships redline fluids and keeps on promoting us to use them in our cars. so i understand why they are good (thanks to Mr. Jones!).

#1StunnaVic;886715 said:
yea i wanted to ask about amsoil. whats the deal with that? i heard its suppose to be the best oil out there but what makes it so good and if it really is that good where can i find it? my cuzin says it rare so whenever he finds some he buys a few cases. ????? anyone care to shine some light on this?
i know redline is great stuff. i got a teacher up at school that worships redline fluids and keeps on promoting us to use them in our cars. so i understand why they are good (thanks to Mr. Jones!).

Amsoil is dealer sold. So it is like amway and other pyramid schemes. But they do have a good product. The prices are similar to redline i think. About 8 bucks or more per qt. I just couldn't afford it anymore, so i switched to Mobile 1 about 3 years ago. You can go to their website for more info and also dealer info so you can get some in your area.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
garagefujimoto;886877 said:
A factory JZA70 has a sticker on the underside of the hood asking for 10W30 oil.

Why would you second guess the guy that made the car?

remember that was almost 20 years ago. oil has advanced alot since then. the car also asks for a sj api rated oil, why would you use and sj when you have an sm rated oil? your better of using a 5w or 0w.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
garagefujimoto;886877 said:
A factory JZA70 has a sticker on the underside of the hood asking for 10W30 oil.

Why would you second guess the guy that made the car?

(sigh).. have you ever been into the fluids section of this website?

Just go in there and read everything you can get your hands on and you'll understand why that guys opinion <20 years ago has really no bearing on oils of today.

They are so many light years ahead its ridiculous..

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
viperkillertt;886733 said:
Amsoil is dealer sold. So it is like amway and other pyramid schemes. But they do have a good product. The prices are similar to redline i think. About 8 bucks or more per qt. I just couldn't afford it anymore, so i switched to Mobile 1 about 3 years ago. You can go to their website for more info and also dealer info so you can get some in your area.

I usually use Amsoil 10-30. There's a number of different varieties that Canadian Tire carries (for the canadians out there)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Keep something in mind when you guys are talking about the various 30W multi-grades. The 1st number (0W, 5W, 10W) ONLY pertains to the cold flow characteristics of the oil...IMO, the lower the viscosity, the better when it come so this number. You want the best possible flow you can get on a cold start...the low viscosities are much better in this arena.

The 2nd number represents the viscosity of the oil when at ops temp (100 deg C)...if the oil is in the range of 9.30-12.49 cst it is a 30W according to SAE grade specs. Do not get the idea a 0W-30 is a thin oil, it can be quite opposite. Castrol European Formula (aka German Castrol) is a case in point...it has a viscosity of 12.10 cst at 100 degs C...that is thick for a 30W multi-grade, especially compared to Mobil 1 oils.

The devil is in the details when it comes to motor oil...you have to read the spec sheet ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
driftking786;888624 said:
10-30 royal purple just put it in, is it any good?

For the money, there's better. RP's additive pack is more suited to a race motor w/ frequent changes...that can get expensive, unless you use oil analysis to determine the change interval.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
So technically, their isn't a perfect oil for our cars, since we all live in different places with different temperatures. I run RP 10-30, and it rarely gets below 35 here and when it does, I'm not driving my car. I know you've covered it a hundred times, but what would be a better oil, for the money, than the Royal Purple. Thanks, Jay

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
if you wanted to stick with RP youll be better off using the 5w-30. same viscosity, at ops, but alot better protection when cold. you want to have the cst as close to 10 as possible, for example amsoil 0w-30 has a cold cst of 56.4 the closer to 10 the better on cold start ups. a RP 10w-30 is probably around 70? cst.