what oil are you guys running in ur 1jz?

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
hey just curious as to what oil u guys are using in ur 1jz. right now im just runnin some regular napa oil. 5W30. im just runnin it for the first few hundred miles to clean out the motor. i was told that the 5W30 is way to thin for the 1j and its just gonna spin the bearings, but i figured that since it was colder out i'd run a thinner oil? any suggestions as to what kind of oil to run in our 1jz? for summer and winter months???

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
viperkillertt;886408 said:
Mobil 1 20W50. I have been using it for 4 years. I am going to switch to 10w30 on my next change. Also, i think this is a total repost. I remember reading a very long post about this exact thing a while back.

i searched butdidnt see anything

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
yeah, there's a HUGE talk about this.

i use 5w30 redline. i use redline everything.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
#1StunnaVic;886419 said:
i searched butdidnt see anything

Gee, that's odd...there's a whole section on SM concerning this subject ;)

http://www.supramania.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108
Read the link in my sig too.

mk3 808;886402 said:
shell oil is the best

BZZZZZ...Not even close:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38768

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48993

tissimo;886304 said:
5w30 is fine.. I recommend Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. Its cheap and very good stuff. Run it year round!

Yep...I like that oil too. It's not a true syn oil though (Group III base stock), but Pennzoil has refined it to the point there is little difference.

str8_6;886462 said:
yeah, there's a HUGE talk about this.

i use 5w30 redline. i use redline everything.

Very good oil...Group V ester based. Also very expensive ;)

viperkillertt;886408 said:
Mobil 1 20W50. I have been using it for 4 years. I am going to switch to 10w30 on my next change. Also, i think this is a total repost. I remember reading a very long post about this exact thing a while back.

You don't want to use a 20W-50...you are not doing your motor any favors. Switching to a 30W multigrade is a smart move...I'd use a 0W or 5W-30 though.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41775

The oil filter is just as important...get a good one:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Best two oils for your motor are Redline 5w-30 and Castrol GC 0w-30 hands down. After discussing this extensively with sir JDub, substantial proof is behind this.

The other he recommended was pennzoil platinum 5w-30, use all of these in combo with good filters and your engine will love life and give you many years of fun.

Personally I'll be using the Castrol because its a good middleground in between the the two oils mentioned IMO. I also prefer its thicker nature and its weight over the others.. If the supply of this runs out, then I will be switching to Redline.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
I agree with a 10w30. I'v been doing tons of research and even read, not too long ago, a long write up from a chemist that retired from Shell. His life he spent it developing engine oil for Gas and diesel engine. He explained and debunked theories uses today of the use of oils.
After spending close to an hour of reading his write ups, I understand that the most crucial point in the life of an engine is "cold start ups". At operating temp, most engine wont have much difference in the viscosity or weight of it since it pretty much thins out.
At start up, the lighter the oil the faster it can charge and lube your engine. He also went to explain the difference between synthetic and Non synthetic oils. Regular oil, although it goes to the bottom when the engine cools off, leaves a very thin layer on the walls of the engine, synthetic leave an even thicker wall, reducing the wear at start up even more.

In conclusion, I am going with 10w30 from 20w50.. NUFF said!

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
My mechanic is a genius on anything but oil.. hes like, synthetic is bad for a motor that didnt originally run it. Also, run a thicker oil because were in FL (Castrol diesel 20w-50).

Then proceeds to use my friend with an SR as an example, saying that after he went to synthetic 5w-30, he rod knocked the motor.

*I silently shake my head* All of these are common misconceptions with no facts backing them up.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
drewgo;886624 said:
I agree with a 10w30. I'v been doing tons of research and even read, not too long ago, a long write up from a chemist that retired from Shell. His life he spent it developing engine oil for Gas and diesel engine. He explained and debunked theories uses today of the use of oils.
After spending close to an hour of reading his write ups, I understand that the most crucial point in the life of an engine is "cold start ups". At operating temp, most engine wont have much difference in the viscosity or weight of it since it pretty much thins out.
At start up, the lighter the oil the faster it can charge and lube your engine. He also went to explain the difference between synthetic and Non synthetic oils. Regular oil, although it goes to the bottom when the engine cools off, leaves a very thin layer on the walls of the engine, synthetic leave an even thicker wall, reducing the wear at start up even more.

In conclusion, I am going with 10w30 from 20w50.. NUFF said!

you just said it my friend, but if you understand this concept then why would you do a 10w-30, knowing that a 5w-30 is more effective and even more so a 0w-30 (though more rare) is most effective.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
Dylan JZ;886626 said:
you just said it my friend, but if you understand this concept then why would you do a 10w-30, knowing that a 5w-30 is more effective and even more so a 0w-30 (though more rare) is most effective.

One step at a time......My valve seal aren't the greatest. If the car idles for a bit. When I rev just a tad a small amount of white smoke come out. Not alot, but I am hesitant to go 5w just yet.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
drewgo;886635 said:
One step at a time......My valve seal aren't the greatest. If the car idles for a bit. When I rev just a tad a small amount of white smoke come out. Not alot, but I am hesitant to go 5w just yet.

hahaha, understood.. :icon_bigg

jdub;886490 said:
You don't want to use a 20W-50...you are not doing your motor any favors. Switching to a 30W multigrade is a smart move...I'd use a 0W or 5W-30 though.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41775

The oil filter is just as important...get a good one:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763
Yup, that is why i am changing on my next oil change. I was told 4 years ago to go with 20w50. I dont know why, but i followed it. I think it was when i was using amsoil. Because it is so expensive, i usually stock up when on sale for like 4 or 5 bucks a qt. So i had quite a lot of it. I am going to be switching 10w30 when i hit 3000 miles. I have 1200 more miles to go.

I use a wix filter.