WHAT IS THIS?

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
My car is still having the "step on gas and release, and still accelerate" problem...

i was wondering what this is that's sticking out next to the throttle body and where it is supposed to go.. cause it doesnt seem right... thanks

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Air filter/buffer for the dashpot.

Okay, didn't read the rest of your post. If the dashpot is gummed up and isn't letting air out it'll hold the throttle plate open (just a bit) until the diaphram retracts again. The filter is there mainly to prevent debris from entering the dashpot diaphram, and I suspect to buffer the intake and outlet or air a bit.

Oh, and it's right where it should be. ;)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Oh, and the rubber piece on the end is supposed to be full of filtering medium... not empty.

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
in the first pic look right above the thing you circled there should be a diaphram there with an adjusting screw that has a slot cut into it with a nut holding it in place back that out and that should help thats what was wrong with mine

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
bluedragon17 said:
in the first pic look right above the thing you circled there should be a diaphram there with an adjusting screw that has a slot cut into it with a nut holding it in place back that out and that should help thats what was wrong with mine

haha i thought it was loose so i just screwed it in a little more...

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
dont do that its what keeps your idle circuit in control when its idling the circuit is open i believe if that adjuster is of it wil think your accelarating making your car accelerate until that diaprgham closes back it all the way out and then screw it in until the tip barely touches the little nub on the diaprhragm and see what your car does then it should cure your problem

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Pretty much what CRE said (and said well). The filter is there to prevent crap from fouling the flow control valve when the air flows inward (towards the diaphragm) when the throttle is off idle. The flow valve is like a check valve except it flows easily in one direction (towards the diaphragm) but flows with some resistance the other way.

The point of all this is to keep the throttle cracked for a second when it's released. Because the air flows out with a little resistance the throttle will remain open for a second as the air in the dashpot bleeds off. The dashpot is an emissions device. It prevents an HC spike when the throttle is lifted by providing a bit of air (from the delayed closing of the throttle plate) to burn the remaining fuel left in the cylinders. Otherwise the engine would go quite rich for a moment. It does anyway but the dashpot limits the spike.

You have the flow valve installed in the proper orientation. Since the filter is missing it may have ingested some junk and isn't "breathing" properly. What you should see when the throttle is opened and then released is a slight delay just as it closes. You can watch for that at the dashpot plunger or throttle stop screw. Or pop the valve off and blow through it. One direction should be easy while the other direction should be harder. If it checks out but you still see no delay the dashpot diaphragm itself may be ruptured although that's unlikely.

Since you've knocked the dashpot out of whack you might as well just back the screw off until it doesn't hit the dashpot and see if your problem goes away. If it does the dashpot, flow valve, or filter is at fault

Now that you've messed with the system you'll need to set it all up again. Warm the engine up then open the throttle to 2500. Pinch the dashpot hose. Upon releasing the throttle the rpm should settle at 2000. If not adjust the screw until it does. When you're done unpinch the hose and the rpm should return to idle. All the procedure does is use rpm as a way to set how far the throttle closes before the dashpot takes over and slows it down until fully closed. If that doesn't make sense RTFM. Course, you could also just remove it.

bluedragon17: Is English your native language?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Thanks for the in depth clarification JJ. I knew the basics, now I know the rest. :icon_bigg

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The EGR inlet into the N/A's intake manifold routes up through the Y pipe. That passage serves as an access for cleaning and was probably used in the machining of the passage (since it's rather hard to cast or mill something with multiple 90º bends in it).