what does it take to get 500hp out of a 7mgte

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
And where is this technological advance?

Both 4 valve DOHC 3.0L motors...... ohhh wait you guys are only 2.5L :icon_razz

(More like a feeble old man fighting a little girl)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ. said:
Only thing I see that they get that's better is an MLS HG stock apart from that there's nothing "better" in a 1jz.
and how many times have you had the engine out of Fatty?:evil2:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'd rather drive mine than work on it, so I decided to go with the 1jz. I love the 7m, but only when it's in other peoples cars. Some 7m's actually have more torque than I do, but I'm o.k. with that. I know some of you guys know how to build motors so you can have a 7m and fix it whenever it breaks. I don't have that knowledge and I'm not really looking to learn it. I've got Vonda's 7m out right now and I'm dropping it off at the machine shop tomorrow. It has a remanufactured motor in it and it tore the rod bearings up on the number six rod in less than six thousand miles. I know we're just giving each other hard times and it's fun for me to hate on the 7m's and defend my torqueless monster, but I'll continue to drive my car while I read all of the 7m builds going on.............:evil2:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ. said:
J: And that's no problem at all and a very wise move, personally I couldn't give up that 500cc as my car is a fat pig so the bulk torque makes it move.
I hate to admit this, but I will be working on my car soon as well......not because it's broke because it's running better than ever, but, I will be adding a 3.0 liter block under my 1jz pretty soon. A guy can only handle so many torque jokes before he decides to fight back with more torque............:evil2:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
BlackMKIII said:
I like Jay
I like you too.................:biglaugh:

IJ, I have 452 daily driven power (we won't talk about the torque) and with the 2jz block, I should be able to daily drive at around 480 at the same boost level................and have some torque and a quicker spooling turbo........WOOOOOT!!!!!!!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Alex: But there are only incremental improvements in the JZ a few of which were in the Late 7M's, it's NOT new technology in the slightest.

A JZ WILL fail if abused just like a 7M, run either low on Oil and you'll RK them, use the incorrect coolant for a few years and you will lose a HG even if it's an MLS stock.

Ditto on Detonation.

The JZ isn't a wonder motor and a HUGE amount of 7M failures can be traced back to user error or neglect, there's nothing wrong with the base design.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
J: With the 2J bottom end I can't see why 500 daily isn't achievable :)

This has been interesting but I have to go back out and work on my 7M ;)
(I have the Lappy fired up in the shed so will poke my head in from time to time)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ. said:
there's nothing wrong with the base design.
I thought the oil pump was inadequate, but I also thought Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone................:dunno:

It just seems alot of 7m's have low oil pressure. I know Vonda's does and it seems alot of 7m's fail in the number six cylinder for some reason. Wouldn't that be attributed to a flaw if it happens more often than not in the same place?

Again, not dogging the 7m, but I would like to know. I may be throwing this money up a wild hogs ass by fixing Vixens 7m if it's still going to have low oil pressure. Any tips?

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
IJ: Those statements are true of ANY engine. I'm sure if I went out and drained every drop of oil out of my 1JZ, it would knock like a bitch and fail. I'm also not saying it's a "wonder motor." The first 1JZ that went into the car had a rod knock. Nothing is impossible.

BUT! With a shorter stroke, it is less likely that it will spontaneously develop a rod knock. I remember back a while ago Mike went into great detail about mean piston speed and the wear it causes on rods. Because of its under-square design, the 1JZ (and 2JZ as well) isn't stressed as much as a 7M. Less wear, less likely to fail.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
J: I have 40+ Psi at 700rpm so I don't think it's an inherent flaw as such.
(I also have 100+ Psi over 3000, do that with a Jz and watch the front seal pop out which IS a flaw)

Really gotta go now :D