Vid of my engine running / also whats the sound?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ok, I got her running, you can read more about that in my build thread (link in my sig). So here is a video, but the main reason I'm posting this is for you guys to help me figure out the clatter noise at about 2000 RPMs. It sounds as if it's coming from the front of the engine.

And just to let you know, she was already warmed up before I restarted it. (you can hear the electric fan)

the beast

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
I'll go out and try to tighten it more, but I got it as tight as I could before she started rolling (in 5th gear, with E-brake on), but I won't be able to restart her again until tomorrow, too loud to run it at night (old people next door)
I hope thats all it is. If it's knock, it wasn't my fault, I've only started it 5 times after putting the "new" motor in. And always had full oil and oil PSI.:dunno:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
::fingers crossed for Jimi::

Jeez, man... I dont know what to say... I'd really hate to tell you what youd hate to hear...

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Well last night I tightened everything I could get to. I even took off the PS belt just incase it was the pump :/ . Well no dice, still the same noise. I went around the engine with a stethoscope and could not pin point the sound. It did seem louder on the exhaust side of the engine, I could even here it in the waste gate actuator:icon_conf So it's just resonating, the weird thing is, I can't hear it in the valve covers.

I wish I knew a good shop close by, before I get ahold of Jarco about the warranty.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
jimi87-t said:
Well last night I tightened everything I could get to. I even took off the PS belt just incase it was the pump :/ . Well no dice, still the same noise. I went around the engine with a stethoscope and could not pin point the sound. It did seem louder on the exhaust side of the engine, I could even here it in the waste gate actuator:icon_conf So it's just resonating, the weird thing is, I can't hear it in the valve covers.

I wish I knew a good shop close by, before I get ahold of Jarco about the warranty.

You do know that the crank pulley requires like 440 lbs of torque, right? My number might be off a little, but you have to be a eff'n ape to get thet much torque on it.

I had the same noise last year, and it didn't end until I put an impact wrench on it.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
my friend daniel had the same sound after we rebuilt his engine turns out it was the alt. same exact sound

could be that or you know...

did you put plenty of assembly lube on the crank and parts while you were assembling the bottom end.

i hope for the best for you.

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
**** OMG!!! I just got that same EXACT noise and it started about 5 days ago!!! I was gonna also put a video up just like u did but now I dont have to because its the same thing!! I though the valves were warped or needed adjustment so when u figure it out let me know cuz I was about to replace the motor!!!! It tends to be the loudest under light throttle at low-medium rpms and seems to go away at higher rpm. For the ppl that say its the crank/alt or clutch they need to hear the noise in person because it sounds nothing like any of that it sounds like rod knock but I dont know what could cause it? bad/warn rod bearings?? it only get louder as the days go on =( I feel your pain....****

Last edited:

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
Hey, is that a 2JZ manifold on a 7MGTE motor...??
First I thought it was a 93-98 motor then I looked closer now im confused lol

(lower right portion of the video)

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
GET THOSE BREATHERS OFF YOUR VALVE COVERS AND PUT ON A CATCH CAN.

IT WILL BLOW YOUR REAR AND FRONT MAIN SEALS.
when those things get too much oil vaper clogged in them......there is no way to vent the pressure from the crank case...you will have ANOTHER PROBLEM.

ask me how I know.... :(

Also, you have something loose, thats not rod knock....its higher pitched than rod knock.....

Piston slap maybe?

-Jonathan