V8 swaps

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
i was thinking about trying a v8 swap. my local u-pull-it sells engines for 200, and trannys for 100.so for a complete swap with every thing i would need it will cost 300 usd.(btw if you close to memphis they have a 7mgte in stock) so all i would have to do is find what i want. they have lots of camaros. i was thinking about trying to find a ls1 or ls6 to swap in. any ideas on this? will it work?

and yes i treid searching but v8 is to short to search.

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
i know its been done with the toyota v8, and the toyota v12. but what about with the chevy small block. a ls6 pushing 405 na. that would be sweet.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
subtlehint.jpg

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
lifted said:
i know its been done with the toyota v8, and the toyota v12. but what about with the chevy small block. a ls6 pushing 405 na. that would be sweet.

Really? Can you point me to an example of a Toyota V12 swap into a MA70? I was under the impression that they were too rare and expensive, and that no one had done it.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
lifted said:
i was thinking about trying a v8 swap. my local u-pull-it sells engines for 200, and trannys for 100.so for a complete swap with every thing i would need it will cost 300 usd.(btw if you close to memphis they have a 7mgte in stock) so all i would have to do is find what i want. they have lots of camaros. i was thinking about trying to find a ls1 or ls6 to swap in. any ideas on this? will it work?

and yes i treid searching but v8 is to short to search.

I doubt you will find an LS1, LS6 or LS2 for anything less than $1000. And that would be a FUBARed ls1. If you want a cheap GenIII small block look into a truck 5.3. these are the most common of the later V8's and I have seen them for as little as $700. some of the 05 and later 5.3's are aluminium blocks rated at 310 hp.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
I just wanted to add that I feel you on thinking about the v8 swap.
I've owned 4 supras and three f-bodies. The last f-body was a 98 Z-28.
That car ran flat 13's at 110 mph with a cold air intake, catback and flashed ECU. And still knocked down 23 mpg.

I would love to see what a 600+ HP cammed LS7 would be like in an MKIII.
And just some food for thought that combo LS7/HDauto4-speed and all the needed items to make it work would go for about 20K. Go for a LS2/400hp and its about 13K. This is for all new parts. not really that expensive when you consider what is would really cost to get a 7m to do those numbers and not eat itself.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
please don't put a V8 in that poor supra.I know it makes power but your messing up the balens of the car.If you want a V8 with power like that get a mustang or somthing.I know about 1000 people are gana bash me because now a days it's cool to swap a ls1 in everything.And the time and money you spent makin the V8 work you could have put in swaping a 1J of building up a 7M.If you do want to do V8 do a 1uz keep it in the family.

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
OneJoeZee said:

if you dont belive me call u-pull-it in memphis tn. all engines no matter what engine it is cost 200 usd, all trannys no matter what tranny cost 100. im going to get a lad off a turbo they have there tomorrw for 49, and i think i will get the tranny and drive shaft from it later. the only catch is you have to pull it. they have a engine host that has big inflateable wheels. once you get the engine hoisted out they come by with a cart to get the engine and load it on your truck.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yes you can get the engine and tranny for 300. But that is definetly not Everything you would need for the swap.

You'll find things get pretty expensive when building/swapping an engine. especially into a body that engine never came in.

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
MassSupra89 said:
Yes you can get the engine and tranny for 300. But that is definetly not Everything you would need for the swap.

You'll find things get pretty expensive when building/swapping an engine. especially into a body that engine never came in.

well i could get the engine, harness and ecu for 200, but your right. there would be alot of fabbing parts., i was kinda thinking about an old school carbed 350. no ecu, no sensors. pretty much just drop it in.

Last edited:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
not much fabricating, some has been done before. jeep has the ax15 which has the same bellhousing. they make adapter kits for that trans to the SBC, and they make universal mounts for the LSx that you would weld to the frame.