upgrading from my blown 7mge, ideas????

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Would you mind making a write up of literally everything needed, possibly with cost included? I'm at a standstill between rebuilding a 7M or swapping for either a 1UZ or Chevy 350.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ah I was reading and didn't check the dates, nice to see it worked and it sounds good! More info on the swap would be greatly appreciated!

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Greek;1795332 said:
Would you mind making a write up of literally everything needed, possibly with cost included? I'm at a standstill between rebuilding a 7M or swapping for either a 1UZ or Chevy 350.

it really depends on what you want to do. easiest option would be to stay 7m if you really want a swap you have to consider what you will be using the car for and how much power you want to make. ls swaps cost a lot up front but you can mod it very easily (cam swap is like $100) 1uz costs much less up front but it costs more when you want to make more power ($750 cam upgrade from lextreme)

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
for this swap i used
97 1uzfe
engine harness came with it
ecu came with it
ignitors came with it
1uzfe swap kit poly motor mounts
quantum auto w58 adapter plate
steel flywheel
clutch
pressure plate
new flywheel bolts
braided stainless clutch lines
spacer for the hydraulic throwout bearing
1uz auto bell housing
howe throwout bearing (no longer recommended due to its high fail rate) use Quarter Master 721-100

i think thats everything that i used and overall i spent about 2k on all that

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Did you change out the break booster? I've read that was needed.

Any changes to the fuel system? New pump? New lines? Mechanical or electrical fan? Did you find headers that fit or have them fabricated?

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
use SC400 headers, and usually (though not always?) you have to swap the brake booster for a smaller one.

i've been gathering parts lol. if you ever plan to boost it pick up a '95 and earlier SC or '94 and earlier LS block. stronger rods+not interference.

if you want it to clear the subframe properly stick to an SC sump. (rear sump)

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Greek;1796024 said:
Did you change out the break booster? I've read that was needed.

Any changes to the fuel system? New pump? New lines? Mechanical or electrical fan? Did you find headers that fit or have them fabricated?
yes i used a 92 pickup brake booster
its certainly needed if you go with the 1uzfe swap kit motor mounts.
no changes to the fuel system just a small exttention so the line would reach the fuel rail, stock fuel pump.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
PureDrifter;1796045 said:
use SC400 headers, and usually (though not always?) you have to swap the brake booster for a smaller one.

i've been gathering parts lol. if you ever plan to boost it pick up a '95 and earlier SC or '94 and earlier LS block. stronger rods+not interference.

if you want it to clear the subframe properly stick to an SC sump. (rear sump)

i have a 97 non vvti its non interference as well i think its when you have the vvti that it becomes interference.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
You're running with the W58 correct? Will the R154 bolt up with that adapter plate and UZ bellhousing?

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Greek;1796057 said:
You're running with the W58 correct? Will the R154 bolt up with that adapter plate and UZ bellhousing?
yes im running a w58 and no there are two different adapters each transmission has its own, but they use the same bellhousing

Thetransporter88

Feb 18, 2011
Washington D.C.
taka21;1795863 said:
for this swap i used
97 1uzfe
engine harness came with it
ecu came with it
ignitors came with it
1uzfe swap kit poly motor mounts
quantum auto w58 adapter plate
steel flywheel
clutch
pressure plate
new flywheel bolts
braided stainless clutch lines
spacer for the hydraulic throwout bearing
1uz auto bell housing
howe throwout bearing (no longer recommended due to its high fail rate) use Quarter Master 721-100

i think thats everything that i used and overall i spent about 2k on all that

single piece aluminnnniumin drive shaft.......Pontic Fiero electric fan, donated by me. harness mods are on its way but me and Taka are still running through the wiring diagrams....really its just me (-__-)