Two weeks notice

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
In all seriousness, is there a formal way to write a two weeks notice? I got wind this past Friday that my Store Manager along with his best friend and neighbor, the Assistant Manager, are trying to find a way to get me fired. So I figured before they find some bullshit reason to get me fired that would prevent me from landing a new job, to write up a two weeks notice and turn that in. If I can find a new job, i'm gonna turn in a TWN and then sell some stuff for dirt cheap on my last day. Sucks for them that I know what cars they drive, where they work, and where they live and that on most weeks, I close on Saturday and I get to finalize payroll for everyone on staff.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Got Boost? said:
In all seriousness, is there a formal way to write a two weeks notice? I got wind this past Friday that my Store Manager along with his best friend and neighbor, the Assistant Manager, are trying to find a way to get me fired. So I figured before they find some bullshit reason to get me fired that would prevent me from landing a new job, to write up a two weeks notice and turn that in. If I can find a new job, i'm gonna turn in a TWN and then sell some stuff for dirt cheap on my last day. Sucks for them that I know what cars they drive, where they work, and where they live and that on most weeks, I close on Saturday and I get to finalize payroll for everyone on staff.

I've never had to do a formal one before myself, but I'd guess you could find some templates online if you Googled. I just did a quick search and it looks like there are several good "How to write your two weeks notice" resources out there.

(here's one: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/39731/how_to_write_a_two_weeks_notice_letter.html)

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i dont think there is a formal format for it. With the way that job seems to be treating you i dont even know if i would give two weeks notice.

just type up something concise and relatively formal sounding:

to whom it may concern (or managers name),

this it to inform you that I, (your name) will be resigning from my position of (yer job) at (yer buisness) on (date to be leaving).

sincerely,
(you again)

maby add a few more lines like thanks for the employment opportunity or something. all you really need to do is tell em you are leaving.

hopefully you can find a place that treats you better!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
last time i quit a job i walked into my bosses office and said, "i think im done here, so this is my 2 weeks notice" shook his hand and spent the next two weeks helping him find a replacement.

what i suggest is to leave on good terms, no matter what, how you quit a job reflects so much on how you did that job.

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
I usually try and word it as elloquently as possible. Use big words. I was told by one of the techs when I resigned from my first stint as Service Manager at the Toyota Dealership that I told them to go to hell and made them feel good about it. :D

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
HellsLegion said:
Sell stuff for dirt cheap? Such as? Where you work?

gamestop.

i know about the "leave on good terms thing" but when your manager's gonna go behind your back to try and fire you instead of telling you what to do to fix whatever they're complaining about, then that's just some bullshit. At least man up and tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong so that I can fix it. But this shit wasn't a problem until the assistant manager got transfered back to my store. We were cool before he got transfered, but now that he's come back, he's being a little bitch. Fcuker's only been back at the store for 3 days before he made that decision. I had to hear this from my old ASM after she got transfered to the mall. She told me they come up to her and were like, "We're gonna try and get rid of ___ just cuz I don't like the way he works and we're gonna promote Jose to his position cuz he works harder than ___ does. blah blah blah." He hasn't worked with me ever since he got transfered and when I got promoted, so how the hell is he gonna say that he doesn't like the way I work? It's not my fault he got c**kblocked by some 4 year old the night before he made that decision. So much shit going on in this company that I can't get my thoughts straight.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
werd, if its a job like that then just do it verbaly. "hey this is my TWN, piece". if you were leaving you career job then i guess a letter would be appropriate.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Dude, give the 2 weeks notice verbally, but as far as you know ehre they park their cars and such... call me :evil2:

Oh, if i had some $$$ Id prolly pick some cheap shit up, lemme know when it is!

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Jon - I know where they live. Offa Loutta and some other street in an apartment complex. when i mean cheap, i mean cheap as in 50%-95% off depending on how generous I feel. btw, know anyone that's hiring on this side of town?

Yeah, i'll verbally tell'em. i don't appreciate being dicked around by other people who didn't get what they were promised by upper management.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Got Boost? said:
...is there a formal way to write a two weeks notice?....
As said, "I am leaving" is good enough. If you leave, you can't get unemployment insurance from them. IF that is a consideration for you. They don't want you to have unemployment ins because their premiums will go up, most likely. The best way to get back at them is to let them fire you then be a bum. But in that deal, you will also be losing out too.
I quit lots of jobs and never even considered writing them a formal paper. heh
If anything, they will make you sign something that you left voluntarily so that you can't turn around and say, "they fired me" or "I am hurt from such an event". If they give you the 'form', you will state why you are leaving and that you did voluntarily choose to leave. This is what they bring to court if you go to the unemployment route.
Got Boost? said:
...So I figured before they find some bullshit reason to get me fired that would prevent me from landing a new job...
Um, if they ever say anything bad about you to a future employer, that is considered illegal (at least it is in my state). Although it may be hard to prove or track the exact conversation that they may have with a propective employer.
I don't think many companies will badmouth you when you leave.
They will just be happy to have gotten rid of you (if indeed they want to get rid of you).
Then they will move on. I highly doubt they will play the part of your enemy and try to hinder your ability to get a job in the future.

Just say you left for personal reasons if you are ever asked at an interview why you left this job you currently have.
Got Boost? said:
...i'm gonna turn in a TWN and then sell some stuff for dirt cheap on my last day. Sucks for them that I know what cars they drive, where they work, and where they live and that on most weeks, I close on Saturday and I get to finalize payroll for everyone on staff.
That you would publicly state this in front of us and maybe who knows who else, shows that you are not thinking straight. You have plans to basically became a criminal. Vandalizing their cars--how low is that?! And stating it where they even may have access to this thread of yours. Do something stupid and telling people about it is a fine way to have a record. Once you have a record, then have fun finding a job. Who wants a criminal type working in their company--who will then say, "I know where he lives."

Things end. If this job ends, move on. Don't be a fag and try to "teach" them a lesson or lower what you can be to the ranks of a common criminal.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
TONY! said:
That you would publicly state this in front of us and maybe who knows who else, shows that you are not thinking straight. You have plans to basically became a criminal. Vandalizing their cars--how low is that?! And stating it where they even may have access to this thread of yours. Do something stupid and telling people about it is a fine way to have a record. Once you have a record, then have fun finding a job. Who wants a criminal type working in their company--who will then say, "I know where he lives."

Things end. If this job ends, move on. Don't be a fag and try to "teach" them a lesson or lower what you can be to the ranks of a common criminal.

I know. I'm just talkin' mess. not gonna waste my time over something that i can replace.

BTW, can you explain more about the unemployment thing? my mom mentioned it, but I couldn't understand what she said about it after she started mumbling.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
Got Boost? said:
actually, i owe my manager a swift kick to the nuts. his words too.

Do an internet search for unemployment benefits. Basically:

If you quit, you don't get any $$ from the government
If you are fired with cause, the employer can refuse your unemployement. You may or may not get $$ from the gov.
If you are fired without cause / at will / layed off, you get a bit of $$ from the government until you get a new job or your benefits run out. The gov will tell you when this is.

I got about 1/3 my normal paycheck when layed off for a year. You know how you read about people who hate paying $$$ into the government just to have fat, lazy jobless people take thier money? You would become that lazy person... :icon_bigg

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Just noticed you beat me to the post, Rich87Tx2.

This is what I had, some of which you explained:

This one friend of mine from the UK once told me that the “United States” is a crock. I wondered why. He then stated how all of our states have their own laws, governments, and the extent that they handle things themselves—it made me think a bit of how this country works.
Relevance--I don't know how exactly unemployment will work in your state (not that I ever collected it in my own state), but I would imagine that even in TX it would basically be if you work for X minimum amount of weeks per X amount of time interval, AND you are available for work, AND you are seeking employment, you can apply for unemployment compensation. They pay you a fraction of what you used to earn. My friend worked on a golf course, which would be seasonal employment, and so I know from him.

This *may* be the site for you to look into:
http://www.twc.state.tx.us/customers/jsemp/jsempsub2.html

If I may say…if I were you I would just mention to whoever makes the decision about you working there, that you could not help but overhear what was said about the plans of getting rid of you. Act disappointed and curious as to why that would happen (which won’t be hard for you to do). If they determine that they have irreconcilable differences and don’t want to discuss it with you, at least you tried.