Trying to Solve Fuel cut - at wits end - this one will stump you

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Perhaps we left another screwdriver in the engine bay. ;)

Yep.

/ Thread.....For now.

New 7M + Same setup (Temporarily) = Bringing back a thread from the dead.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

As for my Korean self and these Japanese Supras...Maybe there is something going on here, and it's just not meant to be..............Guess I've got an assload of PITA's coming up with my 1J. :biglaugh:

:EDIT:

And to add on to the story.......When Armando proceeded to show me how it still boosted with the wastegate flap...flapping...
It did manage to reach 15psi before we caught up to traffic. Amazing, eh?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Despite all the Japanese-Korean wars I remember, somehow Korea is royally whooping Japan's ass right now.

What is this, the 10th 7M you've been present for the death of?

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
agreed. Ill revive this if the new setup does the same thing. if not Ill just post a yipee thread. hopefully I can get a new engine in there and all the ancillaries swapped over within a couple of weeks.
Thank you all again for all your help with this.
A

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Doward;1010697 said:
I can't possibly see the stock turbo elbow outflowing.. well, anything at all. LOL

I posted that because I remember Randy telling people very specifically to never use one of his DDPs with anything other than a stock CT26 turbine housing. This was due to wastegate flapper interference with the internal divider in the DDP. = wastegate delete.

I suppose it doesn't matter much now...

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
chevyeater;1013562 said:
I posted that because I remember Randy telling people very specifically to never use one of his DDPs with anything other than a stock CT26 turbine housing. This was due to wastegate flapper interference with the internal divider in the DDP. = wastegate delete.

I suppose it doesn't matter much now...

See, I told you so Armando! :) I thought this may be the problem the whole time. :p

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
I have read through the whole thread, what a read.... And all i can say is that this story is very depressing.
The good thing I have noticed in all of is that it shows you how great all your supra friends can be. Supramania is an awesome site. Some of the information and ideas shared on here are invaluable.

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
88YotaTurbo;1014261 said:
I have read through the whole thread, what a read.... And all i can say is that this story is very depressing.
The good thing I have noticed in all of is that it shows you how great all your supra friends can be. Supramania is an awesome site. Some of the information and ideas shared on here are invaluable.

I second that. HERE, HERE!

p.s. I will be making a donation to Supramania as soon as I make my next payment on my personal card.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Probably shouldn't have skipped so much. He did, it didn't fix it and more importantly the motor is locked up.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Quin;1025296 said:
Probably shouldn't have skipped so much. He did, it didn't fix it and more importantly the motor is locked up.

LOL, something tells me it'll take awhile for this thread to die.

I just speed-read through the thread to see if he ever got the car running again, because I want to hear a BIC "ddp" in person -- I've got one, but I'm not sure whether I wanna try it or go with one that routes back to the exhaust like the 935Motorsports one.

Now I know why he was driving a Scion at the meet. :(

supra153624

Mar 12, 2008
bishopville, south carolina
Boost Lee;1006475 said:
So true.
I'm stumped.

As Armando has laid this out pretty clear, he/we've tried just about everything I can think of...yet this monster hiding in the closet still cannot come out.

Surely he's not the only one with Fuel cut issues as harsh as this.

Ideas for this poor man? :)

Jeff

i have the same issues with my 7mgte right now, read my posts for more info we probably have the same damn problem and its like all yall say its something small and stupid that were all over looking

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
When it comes to being stumped the OP must be confusing me with someone else...

I'm surprised at the focus on boost leaks. Fuel cut is not there to "protect" the engine from boost leaks. It's sole purpose is to guard against wastegate failure.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
well theres your boost leak.... hole in the block could be a minor boost leak to say the least!

j/k

sorry to hear bout your motor's death. good luck with the new build!

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Sorry, folks.

I'll burst the bubble incase Armando doesn't manage to make his way back in this thread.

He ended up buying another MR2 (He's owned a lot of these in the day)

...and still originally had planned to build both cars, but his heart goes to MR2's and unfortunately couldn't afford/handle doing two projects at once.

Jeff

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Well, I'm going to post it up anyhow.

I'm pretty sure I told him not to use the ddp in pm at some point. It's been a long time ago.

The wastegate flap can't open all the way in that passage, and even being open at the 45 degree angle it blocks off most of the divorced section. What I would run into with it is that it would boost to spring, hold it for just a second and then try to go to infiniboost. The higher the boost got, the faster it would climb. Of course, I had a greddy boost warning gauge with a light, so I could get out of it quickly when it got up high.

Yes, it still had creep problems before having the hole ported, but the ddp was the main problem. Thats why with the wastegate flapping it still made that much boost.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Well, Armando was determined.....:biglaugh:

No, there were points where it wouldn't hit fuel cut in some gears, at about 14-15psi.

It was strange...it really was. There were a lot of "WTF?!?!'s" because it was randomly do something else the next day at a completely different RPM/gear.

Oh well. It's over with now.
But this thread will make for some great future reference as for what to check next time someone searches for "Fuel cut" problems. ;)

Jeff