Tow Hooks!!!

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
TakeakiTheDeity said:
Anyone installed a front aftermarket tow hook? If so, do you have any pics?

one question... where do you screw the hook to? Do you have to custom drill a hole?
you would have to use a pretty powerful drill and a good drill bit, you'll have to put them on the frame to use them for towing...and if you don't use the right drill bit or screw it will chew the s**t out of them both.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
unless you are planning to auto-x your car or have it as a track car theres no reason. there are 3 tow hooks that are built in (one front, 2 rear) pointless really unless for looks

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Wow, the "frame rails" on the Supra are lucky to be 1/8 inch thick. I would like to know what drill bit won't easily drill through it... Likely though, since it does not sound like you are much of a fabricator you should probably just use the mounting bolts/holes for the factory hooks. It will likely be easier for you to make a bracket that will hang off the stock location and attach an aftermarket tow hook to.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
SySt said:
Wow, the "frame rails" on the Supra are lucky to be 1/8 inch thick. I would like to know what drill bit won't easily drill through it... Likely though, since it does not sound like you are much of a fabricator you should probably just use the mounting bolts/holes for the factory hooks. It will likely be easier for you to make a bracket that will hang off the stock location and attach an aftermarket tow hook to.
what drill bit wont drill through it easily? ask me how I know :icon_wink even self tapper's threads will get chewed up. Ive had to drill a couple holes and make brackets for my fog lights... although I didnt have as much of a problem with bits as I did having the screws threads eaten

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
MKIIINA said:
unless you are planning to auto-x your car or have it as a track car theres no reason. there are 3 tow hooks that are built in (one front, 2 rear) pointless really unless for looks

it was discussed in the other thread, the stock tow hooks are often inaccessable or would cause damage if used if your car is lowered or has aftermarket bumpers/lips

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
How are the stock hold downs unaccessable? There are 4, not 3. One is missing. They hang right out the bottom.

P1020115.JPG

Those were used to hold the car on the carrier. They aren't really tow hooks. Although I have towed other vehicles with the Supra.

Last edited:

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
Actually talking about the front. I have seen several aftermarket front lips get messed up while getting strapped on the dyno. My stock front lip has gotten beat up from a few tow trucks (Flat beds).

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i had one on my car till i installed a greddy bumper.i made it and you can see it sticking out under the license plate
p503242_1.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Steve_N said:
Actually talking about the front. I have seen several aftermarket front lips get messed up while getting strapped on the dyno. My stock front lip has gotten beat up from a few tow trucks (Flat beds).

As I said, they are not tow hooks, they were designed to hold the vehicle to the flatbed during transport.

The front also has two. And if you try to tow it like that, the bumper cover can be torn off.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
well i just had my car towed via flatbed and guess what.... no need for any more hooks! the stock ones work fine

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
Tsuper92 and projectsupra, where did you guys find those tow hooks? I just installed my spec-G front lip, and should I need to tow my car I would'nt want to mess it up.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I'm seriously considering a tow hook. When I had my car loaded onto a flatbed it scraped the stock lip pretty hard. Also the straps deformed the front bumper and lip quite a bit while loading. I was worried about it. Keep in mind that I have H&R's:aigo: