Tlo86's 2JZ Build Thread..

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Poodles said:
marlin crawler bushing is made of very hard urithane (sp?) not rubber like the stock part...

did you get the little cup as well?

yeah i just expected poly not hardened but i shouldve read hehe no deal at all really.

ordered the shifter socket today :) *aug 31st*

thechori said:
how much for the old DP? me want!

actually, i might need that shroud too! :0~

nice build though, looking forward to seeing it finished

lol how much to sell a used 400$ downpipe for =/ i actually have to talk to the guy that bought my engine from me about it - i didnt want to take it off and said i'd give him half of it (so i could keep flex portion to my cat and have my new turbos downpipe welded to the flex section) this was before i took my engine out and actually wasnt sure if the downpipe would be a problem when taking it off with the engine... (the old downpipe is in texas somewhere, i assume in an apartment behind the water heater Lol)

the shroud i might sell, it was broken the day i bought it but fixed it with epoxy (look at the bottom portion you can see it) and it hasnt been a problem since but i have no idea how much i would sell it for because i dont remember what i paid for it :biglaugh: the guy i sold my engine to wont need it as he is putting it in an 88'

Nomad707 said:
wow dude you are kicking ass..Nice progress, nice stuff too.

and thank you! i actually expected someone to bash me for my oil filter relocation that i pieced together but i guess i didnt do that bad of a job ;) (need more hose and two more fittings anyway i forgot the thermostat needs 4 fittings not just 2 :biglaugh: ) *aug 31* just ordered the fittings i need. and some paint and some gasket stuff for my oil pan~

*edit sept 1* toyota parts are finnally shipping, i just need to order the belts and i can put my engine in physically (for now, still need to get the harness made, have many steps after that)

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
p740030_1.jpg

couple of things in the mail~ hks replica wastegate from driftmotion and their clutch line.

i must say their clutch line was a much much better option install is a breeze and you dont have to dick with the hardlines

no idea what the sensors were off of in the pic i can only hope they are for the stock twins Lol. might buy a real hks spring for the inside not sure yet.

purchased a new o2 flange for the sensor for a whopping 24$ from BIC! yikes. but i need it and i dont want to waste time (regardless of how far BIC is Lol)

*edit* Ordered my belts finnally, going with aftermarket performance ones :) came to almost $200 not too bad.... i think... paid a bit more for shipping so it was closer to 200... i want them here faster i need work to do Lol.

purchased a charcoal canister on supraforums (they practically give them away there you know :p)

also this is the type of gauge i was for my RPM

DF05701.jpg

anyone know where i can get something similar to this? they actually stopped production of this specific unit this year. i saw it in a racecar once and it just seemed like a great idea, only shows like a graph that gets larger and goes into red once it redlines

display-unit.jpg

this is the newer one they should be releasing here soon, its already out in japan...

i want that only i just want the damn display Lol. screw the fancy glass. i want digital tach just like the old corolla gauges or the 1jzs :)

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
got my BIC mounts in today, sadly im going to have to get a set of the rubber pieces / or a set of solid mounts =/ already adding to my growling list of needs i'll post a pic later

also got in the mail the other two brass fittings, bought some higher quality oil hose, got harnesses together to get shipped, got some paint in the mail which is nice :) British racing green i wonder what im going to paint with it =/ maybe water pump :p got some high quality gasket material for pan so im going to get that together this weekend... should be getting most of my parts in within a few days~ still need to buy ALOT but not tooo much :) i know which turbo im going with now and it'll leave me with a few hundred extra for parts i need.

Edit: sep 6 got a ton of other parts in today...! hopefully i can install the rear main seal, clutch, and r154 to the engine tonight...

edit again... more parts no pics :( i am busy trying to source some snap rings ... and might have to wait to work on anything till i get some seals in it looks like it was leaking a bit of oil... either the valve covers (oddly with those there is usually some oil on the spark plugs but there was none... maybe thats a good thing :)) or the front cam seals which i knew i shouldve ordered weeks ago but didnt :(

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Pictures!
p748938_1.jpg

whats left of my 7m's mounts, my bic mounts, and my aristo mounts
p748938_2.jpg

7m mount and aristo rubber mount thats mounted on the bic mount. they will work :)
p748938_3.jpg

after i use this hacksaw... (notice the little metal piece on the bottom of the mount is in a different location and its either cut that off or drill a hole in the crossmember)
p748938_4.jpg

THIS IS A HYDRAULIC FAN WATER PUMP AND PULLEY :):)
p748938_5.jpg

and here is a brand new 2jzgte water pump! (i still need a pulley for it) charcoal canister from a 2jzgte misc nuts and bolt i dont have new from toyota, lower rad hose, rear main seal, and my gates timing belt :) which i must say is very similar to the trust/greddy one although the greddy ones blue lining seems harder but.. not really.
p748938_6.jpg

p748938_7.jpg

89+ brackets
sm_photo_missing.jpg

finale +1 for rocketship socks!

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i just wanted to compare my local toyota dealership and show prices on how much you could save by going online - i usually order parts online that cost more but the small stuff can add up too and since with my troubles im going to order more parts instead of doing a partial install and finishing later

Toyota Dealership
Toyota Part # Description Price
11214-46011 Valve cover gasket exhaust 15.70
11213-46020 Valve Cover Gaster Intake 15.70
90311-40020 Camshaft Front seals x2 21.08
90210-07001 Valve cover bolt washers x16 60.96
Total $118.94 (before tax)

Toyotapartscheap.com
Toyota Part # Description Price
11214-46011 Valve cover gasket exhaust 10.92
11213-46020 Valve Cover Gaster Intake 10.92
90311-40020 Camshaft Front seals x2 10.88
90210-07001 Valve cover bolt washers x16 26.40
Total 59.12 (no tax, shipping is cheap too)

the bolt washers im not too sure about replacing (toyota parts people suggested it, Gee i wonder why:)) but i will anyway since i did see oil on the bolts when i was taking it out so i might as well.

i purchased a snap ring 96152-00450 for $4.09 after tax ($1.69 online) because i want it here in two days not two weeks Lol.

*edit* ordered my turbo today :) its a surprise. just need to order a pipe and filter now...

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
replace the valve cover bolt washers as if they're anything like the 7M ones, they dry out and don't function properly...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i actually placed the order a couple of days ago for everything there. im thinking of replacing the rear seal on the transmission as well it looks tired as so does the housing might replace that too... but that can wait!

i did it online though i dont want to go through dealership, they are way faster but it still doesnt justify paying 2x the amount =/

got my engine mounts on! i am going to post pictures in a few days~ my computers video card went out so im going to upgrade. the mounts look great i painted them green... i dont know why =/.... hopefully i'll have my transmission on the engine this week but i have been preparing presentations and they are a PITA.

i really didnt want to buy new bolts for the mounts so i went through old bolts to see what would work since the BIC mounts are very much slimmer than the OEM.... i used the bolts to the mount holding the rear transmission mount for the exhaust side... for the intake side you are supposed to use the two bolts holding the FPD (just bolted it back onto my mount) and the other two im not sure where they are from.. now i just need shorter bolts for the bellhousing.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
just came back from toyota and its time for more part#'s and another couple weeks of waiting for shipping Lol :)

Local Dealership (i must remind that they overcharge! oh well thats buisness!)
part no# description price
9040509174 union (2jzgte) 8.77
9043012005 union gaskets (2jzgte) for union 1.72 for 2
9040112012 union bolt (2jzgte) 11.97
3314630020 deflector (for r154 mine is messed up) 27.44
9031140001 transmission rear seal 16.04
9020672001 wave washer (not sure about this... there just must be two wave washers i guess?) 2.01
3110114010 inspection cover w/ gasket one of the sides 89.10
3110214010 nspection cover w/ gasket other side 89.10

part no# description price
9040509174 union 4.53
9043012005 union gaskets for union 1.38 for 2
9040112012 union bolt 6.18
3314630020 deflector 19.09
9031140001 transmission rear seal 8.28
9020672001 wave washer .82
3110114010 inspection cover w/ gasket one of the sides 61.98
3110214010 nspection cover w/ gasket other side 61.98

difference is almost $100

now note: i know im spending well over twice the price for some things but im still going to buy them through my dealer because shipping v. order date is unmatched. and i need the wave washer so i can throw my tranny together Now Vs Later Lol. so spending 5$ instead of 2$ no biggie i dont care.

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Pictures!!
p761563_1.jpg

progress thus far is determined by box height. its gettin up there.
p761563_2.jpg

turbonetics! coupler.... they cost the same as the ebay stuff :) thought it was too small but it isnt
p761563_3.jpg

throttle cable, cooler, intake setup, BIC o2 sensor
p761563_4.jpg

intake side mount
p761563_5.jpg

exhaust side mount
p761563_6.jpg

gonna need a new one of these... might as well replace the seal while im at it!

for some reason i didnt take pics of my turbo but its in the first picture... its huge... maybe too huge... fits fine on the manifold i just need it machined then everything can go together i can clock it and then its buying the IC pipes.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Looking good sir. Thanks for all of the pictures. Now all I need is a video of it spinning through third gear...............:burnout:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
just replaced some seals... was wanting to replace timing belt along with everything else but i ran out of time. replaced the front cam seals, valve cover seals, and every bolt seal as was discussed earlier! and i must say they all needed to be changed! yowza! hard as a rock. but now i must buy new hoses for the pcv system Lol they were hard as a rock as well. the coil packs are in great condition none cracked or anything. going to leave them off until i buy some iridiums.

must find a way to take crank pulley off next ~ :) then timing belt and water pump will go in.

*edit* bah! forgot to put FIPG on near the front cam.... gotta take it off again D=

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
gilberjj said:
you're making me want a 2j......

lol the only reason not to get one is $$$$$$ i couldve had a well built 7M with all of this. and i still want a well built 7M im not engine biased lol. oh and you need a second car to drive thats important :p and a garage...

put the throttle cable on yesterday.. and redid the valve covers so it has the fipg :)

thinking of a way to take the crank harmonic dampener off... i have this extra auto driveplate so i might as well tear it up :)

*edit* got access belt today... finnally!! power enterprise japan. it looks pretty damn good :)

more parts ordered (the last list) plus a front crank seal. and a new rear main seal (messed mine up when putting it in what a waste of 30$!!) and pilot bearing. (i am NOT losing my r154 inspection covers they are pricey! lol!) shipping harness off. thats another $680. going to buy turbo oil kit for 2jz which is about $170 and universal IC pipes.. im thinking of getting another IC but i really dont wana heh.. it would be easier if i did though ic pipe routing wise.

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
! transmission is installed. clutch everything its finnally coming together :p the hard part is done.. kinda.

going to work on my oil cooler routing and intercooler next... going to order the right gear oil ... should expect my harness back eventually :)