Timing belt question Gates OEM or Race?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I could see doing it on a talon since the motor is interference and they have belt issues. On our cars, nope.

I swear the one that was on my engine was original and was fine until the guide on the lower timing gear came off and the belt started shredding...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Assuming oil doesn't kill them that's how they die. That or the cording fails and they break. Btw it's not just about belt material or reinforcing cordage. Not all belts have the same tooth profile. There are at least four different types. One must be careful what one buys...

FloTex

Crankin since the 1900s
Aug 13, 2008
Tallahassee, Florida
A friend (and engineer) has a MK!V running over 1500 HP and is running a stock belt and has never had a failure.

Way back ... I worked in the plant that made 60% of the timing belts in the world. I actually met the guy who invented the timing belt. That was way before my hair was grey.:icon_bigg I ended up running the life-cycle test lab before I left to go to school to be an engineer.

I tested many belts to failure and they usually go out because of broken teeth. Major places to check are the base of the teeth- even a slight crack or tear means it is already in a failure stage. Sometimes a jacket stitch failure would let the (tooth face) jacket strip back and teeth would shear. If a tooth jumps it will usually break off pretty much instantly and the other teeth also strip off. They all go together.

They are way over designed for the load applications and life-cycles recommended. I just inspected one with 120,000 miles on it (low performance daily driver) and decided not to change it (until I get time to get around to it). I don't recommend gong over about 60 or 80,000 miles unless you really know how to inspect one.

Tensioning is very important. Re-tension them occasionally for longer life (maybe at 30-40,000 miles). Of course if you are running above stock HP all the service times should be shorter.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Huge majority of failures in 7M's will be from the "Ohhh my gear/pullies look so cool uncovered I'm JDM Tyte Yo" set...

I ran Ferrea Duals to 8300rpm just about every time I drove mine and have never suffered a belt failure using standard Gates belts.