Timing belt question Gates OEM or Race?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion about the belts. I have run the last 40K miles on my car with the regular Gates belt. I was thinking about getting the racing belt instead this go round because it's blue and supposed to be better. When I called Gates the Sales guy couldn't tell me the exact difference.

But I will have my front cover on so I will not even be able to see it. But just wondering which I should get.

Thanks

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Probably the same as the Greddy. From their site:

"Engineered to increase heat-resistance, flexibility and durability, GReddy Extreme Timing Belts reduce the chances of cracking from heat, inconsistent timing from stretching and skipping or snapping. Improvements in materials and construction lead to a more reliable belt that will be more consistent and last longer."

I've been running a Greddy belt for 5 years / 60k now with no ill effects. Of course I'm almost stock power wise so don't know if it helps.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I've had 420rwhp on my car for the last 4 years with 50+ drag passes and it's in good shape. But putting my motor back in I'm going to just buy a new one.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
I say just get a new one and if you get a good deal on the blue hey go for it, if not the run you run is fine. Good idea to replace on a new rebuild ;)

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Gates racing belt is the same belt as Greddy's belt, but $50 less bucks ;) Gates makes the them for Greddy just with Greddy's name printed on them. The gates racing belt is around $72. I rather have the good one for the piece of mind, o-ya I do have the Gates racing belt, lol/

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
When I called gates, they said the only thing different was the color, just called again structurally they are the same. There is a coating on the outside of the Race one that is blue which is more for color, but durability is the same. If there was one local I would get it but the only one I can get for now is the regular one. I'll do the other later on I guess. But here local at a couple of shops that I've called they just use OEM on 2J's with 700rwhp, so I think the regular Gates will be fine for my measly 420-475rhwp:)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
92nsx;1345386 said:
Gates racing belt is the same belt as Greddy's belt, but $50 less bucks ;) Gates makes the them for Greddy just with Greddy's name printed on them. The gates racing belt is around $72. I rather have the good one for the piece of mind, o-ya I do have the Gates racing belt, lol/

This is not true at all!! They are not the same! The greddy belt has steel cable running threw it as renforcement...the gates has fiberglass cable. The greddy is better but not worth the price!

And gates eom belts are sold by napa auto parts....the oem gates has heavy duty string/cord as renforcement while the gates racing has fiberglass.

That's my 2 cents.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
gaboonviper85;1345404 said:
the gates has fiberglass cable. The greddy is better but not worth the price!

And gates eom belts are sold by napa auto parts....the oem gates has heavy duty string/cord as renforcement while the gates racing has fiberglass.

That's my 2 cents.

Umm...Gates uses Kevlar reinforced nylon in most applications but not fiberglass. Havent seen fiberglass used in years for belts.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
I used a gates racing on my fully built civic hatch with no problems. But that was due to the risk of it breaking on an interference engine... I also work at napa and have sold the oem gates belt to several people who used them on various upgraded apps with no complaints.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
gaboonviper85;1345486 said:
Think I pull this shit straight from my ass??

www.gatesracing.com

Everytime I post a thread you always have something smartassish that makes me laugh!

Thanks for the info. When I called Gates, they told me that there was hardly any difference and it wasn't worth the difference.

But their belts look good! I would like to get some of their acc belts as well.

It's only like $30 more for the racing from SIP (Rich) So I'll go with that! then order my other belts later.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
frontierguy25;1345540 said:
Everytime I post a thread you always have something smartassish that makes me laugh!

Thanks for the info. When I called Gates, they told me that there was hardly any difference and it wasn't worth the difference.

But their belts look good! I would like to get some of their acc belts as well.

It's only like $30 more for the racing from SIP (Rich) So I'll go with that! then order my other belts later.

Glad I could be of service!

Just wanted to clear up the greddy/gates debate as they are infact very different....my friends engine bay caught fire...the steel cables in his greddy belt were the only thing left around his cam gears....I helped pulled that motor so I know this info is indeed FACT and not guessing!

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
gaboonviper85;1345486 said:
Think I pull this shit straight from my ass??

www.gatesracing.com

Yup. I still havent read anything that states they use fiberglass in their belts.
If you are refering to any differences between Greddy and Gates, I have never compared the 2. Being that the Greddy belt isnt as readily available as a Gates belt I could care less if it were made of titanium.

**EDIT** Diggin through more sites I found this in reference to Gates belts. Will call the reps tommorrow and ask the scoop. The catalog I have here doesnt reference this compound.

**Super Strong Tensile Cord. Added strength comes from premium, high-strength glass cords.**