Thrust Washer for R154

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
Would anyone like a new more durable washer ?
I've talked with a few people and it seems that the 1st gear washer is a weak material and could be made more solid by perhaps a steel\hardened metal one.

Would there be any interest if I got a friend to perhaps custom make some new ones in a different material, or is there a company that's already doing that ?

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
My bad...Plz lock this thread or delete. Shoulda used search but forgot it was there as I'm from SF. :)

I'll just do one myself

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
Okay well I'll go pickup one from Toyota and see if I can get working on something. Is this thing really $30 ? OEM FTL

Also I haven't read all the rules yet so I don't want to step on any toes and I'm not going to be selling anything major like this in bulk till I'm sure it works and have some local SM members test it with me, maybe including Aaron.

Sounds like it'd be worth some of my time to do this though since I have some good contacts to possibly get it done, not only for myself but my new bretheren

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
WoW after searching it looks like this can of worms is opened up yearly.
I'm just in time to beat the dead horse some more :)

Looks to me that the only thing that would "really" help would be better groove patterns (Spiral) in the washer that would pull in more lubricant to the center with ease.

I guess I'll still try and get something done on my own with another material and groove pattern and see how it turns out before whoring this out any further.

Noob OUT !

If anyone wants to donate a washer to the cause (even a broken one might work just to get the size\specs of it and have a dup made) feel free to PM me otherwise I'll pick one up from Toyota next week.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Element256 said:
Okay well I'll go pickup one from Toyota and see if I can get working on something. Is this thing really $30 ? OEM FTL

Also I haven't read all the rules yet so I don't want to step on any toes and I'm not going to be selling anything major like this in bulk till I'm sure it works and have some local SM members test it with me, maybe including Aaron.

Sounds like it'd be worth some of my time to do this though since I have some good contacts to possibly get it done, not only for myself but my new bretheren

You just need to get a GB approved if you are planning on selling these. I have not personally had any problems with mine (I drag race my car quite a bit.) but not to say it isn't a problem. Let us know what the outcome is.

Duane

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Element256 said:
^^^Shouldn't your sig say 842.98 ??

No mine will read much higher than that when I use Nitrous and a clutch that holds. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are thinking of Nate's car. (KWNATE)He ran 735 RWHP on Boost and 842 on nitrous / 100 shot

Mine (UPGRADEDSUPRA) is 814.62 on BOOST ONLY and nitrous will be...well we will see what happens :biglaugh:

Duane

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
There is .02 HP FREE for everyone! Get it now as Nate has it! EX: 242.98 and he now has 243

I know its a joke but thought Nate hit 842.98 on the juice.
Sorry just thought you made a typo.

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
I think by just using the OEM material and then regrooving it to allow more lubrication to pull to the center would suffice and fix as much of the problem as is possible currently.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Syris: Ummm they're NOT failing from lubrication issues.

Even micropolished they're still have an open grain structure with little to no core strength seeing that it's a sintered part.

If the Trans was rebuilt paying close attention to end float on all the gears the stock part should be fine but in 15+ year old trannys you have enough room for the helical gears to walk back and forth add some hp/sticky rubber/hard launches and you'll break the thrust and I believe this is when the blueing of the broken part happens giving the impression it's lube related.