Thinking about making an aluminum hood and targa.. any interest?

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Ill just talk to Jeff Im sure he knows everything.

im hopefully sending my moms car out of the garage within the next week or two depends on how long it takes to ship bearings.

Then I'll get started fabbing parts for the white car.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
miggles said:
So the supra hoods are ally? i thought they were mild steel. If so then your going to have fun trying to tig ally to mild steel.

I figured he had to mean he was going to make a complete aluminum hood, cause obviously you can't weld aluminum to steel :biglaugh:

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Jaguar_5 said:
If you're still talking about the hood, unless you aren't trying to match the rest of the body, I imagine it being impossible to get an identical color, and finish, going from an anodized piece, right next to a painted one!

oh lord no, i couldnt imagine trying to anodize the entire hood and get an even, matching color all the way across. im talking like a dust or a gloss black or red for the block off plate.

i imagine a dust black would really set it apart and not give it too much shiny-factor

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
hmm. engins under cover huh. well im gonna hve to find one before i get started haha. As for the process, i will get on it as soon as i get my welder during the new year (im gonna get a large invetment of cash my way, no not cause of christmas hahaha) so ill keep posted. and as for the welding... low heat or maybe a dual sided electric one... hmmm well ill keep in touch..

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I agree about the cowl on that hood being too much. Maybe around .5"-1.0" shorter would be about right. And if you fab up a good fitting functional undercover that was close to the stock one I would be down to buy one from you stat.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
IJ. said:
Ummm I was trying to not bag this idea too much!

Really it isn't going to happen!

As I said the mk3 hood is fullOcurves and the second you put a Tig anywhere near your 1mm sheet stock it's going to move around meaning you'll either spend weeks with a hammer and dolly or have to use filler negating any weight savings.....

Seriously it's a bad idea! :(

Even if you had large scale forming capabilites it would be pretty difficult. I've done a bit of explosive forming work and it would be possible and much less expensive than traditional forming methods. With a factory hood you could make the die with plaster or similar material. The die would have a somewhat short service life but it would be pretty cheap (relative to more durable materials) and easy to duplicate. Ideal for short runs of say, 20 units. The structural portion would have to be fabbed separately and then the two items glued together. For a finish I would send them out to a paint shop.

You would probably be looking at $700-1000 shipped per unit if design and production went quickly and smoothly...which doesn't happen. ;)

So, it's marginally feasable that route but utterly hopeless otherwise, IMO.