Thinking about making an aluminum hood and targa.. any interest?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Clip said:
like you said, in your opinion. i wasn't going for looks here, i was going for a part that would be easy to produce, easy on the wallet and be functional. agreed, the carbon fiber would look cool, but not if you knew how to anodize:naughty:

so cryoslash, chalk me up for a block off plate!

If you're still talking about the hood, unless you aren't trying to match the rest of the body, I imagine it being impossible to get an identical color, and finish, going from an anodized piece, right next to a painted one!

I definitely agree you should focus on other items, i think an aluminum undercover, to direct airflow better for those of us that don't want to shell out $150+ for a new stocker, would be a great idea!

Regardless of what you decide, big thumbs up for attempting to develope new parts for our beloved MkIII, no matter what parts you try and (re)create!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ummm I was trying to not bag this idea too much!

Really it isn't going to happen!

As I said the mk3 hood is fullOcurves and the second you put a Tig anywhere near your 1mm sheet stock it's going to move around meaning you'll either spend weeks with a hammer and dolly or have to use filler negating any weight savings.....

Seriously it's a bad idea! :(

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The 7m block, is it sandcast out of one single mould? How did they cast it? I was curious as to weither it was one mould or not since if so then could we not create a mould again and use aluminum finally? man I'm just thinking out loud here but who knows...
I'd be down for some R&R ;)
eric

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Honestly, I've never seen rust on a targa top. Maybe that's due to my location. Man that would suck. I'd think there would be a market for that in ares with that problem, if you could pull it off.

The hood on the blue car is just a bit much, but the stock cowl is definitely not enough. I'd love one in aluminum ( doesn't seem likely) or CF. Either way, it's not happening soon.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well, now that I got Lucy sorted out, and the last batch of wings are in the works, Im gonna start on my cowl lift on my spare stock hood. Ive been thinking about it and I think I might even be able to pull off a functional open cowl (I think more for heat vent than anything else).

Im hoping to have it done by Thanksgiving!

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
born2drv said:
I AGREE!

I don't care how ugly it is, if it fits well I'd buy it. Of course shipping would be a pain in the ass.

*Sniff* Jdub gets all the credit...

Ive got a spare stock under guard I can use to design an aluminum/whatever one around.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
HellsLegion said:
I want that undercover...

Lets make Fiberglass hoods Bill!

If I have enough money after my bills Im gonna try and get started on either my FG dash or a making a hood.

Im gonna hold onto that undercover, its probally one of the last ones in existance.