Thinking about making an aluminum hood and targa.. any interest?

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Well since im gonna be buyin a tig welder sometime in january just intime for spring, i will start fabricating aluminum parts for our cars. reason being is A)Cheaper then CF and B) almost as light weight as CF! I was just wondering would there be any interest in an Aluminum hood and targa? hood would be first cause targa would take long. So any ideas input guys will be appreciated! The hood wouldnt be an oem repalcement, it woudl have a much, much much larger cowl :evil2: let me know guys! i wanan start fabing up stuff for the community!

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
IJ. said:
CS: Good luck forming a sheet hood!

Will help if you have access to a 100+ ton press and dies ;)!
ian, i was thinking more of a cut and weld a piece in between, kind of liek what the guy did to his steel hood.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I think it's going to be harder than you realize, but I wish you the best of luck..............lol

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
I'm def down, but it's gonna have to be good quality of course =). Something with this type of cowl would be awesome!

Mo

Attachments

• CF Promo Hood.jpg
    CF Promo Hood.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 96
  • CF Promo Hood 1.jpg
    CF Promo Hood 1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 105

91SupraTurbo

soldd
Nov 18, 2005
Templeton, MA
IMO that cowl is to much. The stock ones are just fine. And good luck with making a hood and targa out of Aluminum it's gonna be harder than you think and a cutting out a piece for the cowl and welding that in would be a waste of time. Jsut stick out the CF shortage and as mentioned before a skid plate for beneath the engine or a diff skid plate would be well used by many here. I already have a mock up set for my diff and it looks quite good but needs to be finnallized. I guess working for a company thats building motor mounts for destroyer boats and a teloscope for MIT has its advantages.::icon_bigg Also the use of all the materials i want is helpful to.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
91SupraTurbo said:
IMO that cowl is to much. The stock ones are just fine.

i agree with 91, that cowl looks more american than anything, kinda like the older style mustangs.

what about an aluminum intercooler block off plate? skid pans are always a good idea too.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Well I know for a fact I won't have the money anytime coming up, but I do think the cowl on that blue one posted a bit earlier was way too much. Perhaps .75-1.25" bigger at the back, at the very most. But I think it sounds interesting. If you really have the materials, see what you come up with!

91SupraTurbo

soldd
Nov 18, 2005
Templeton, MA
I didnt think about the intercooler blockoff plate but again I would suggest waiting out the Carbon Fiber shortage not only cuase Duane already can make those but IMO they will look better then the Aluminum. And this CArbon Fiber shortage is stupid as said on the CFX page of the forum how the aerospace industry is taking most of it, its actually the GOV'T for there stupid shit that there making. I see it everyday on the products I weld on at work. stupid stupid stupid. ok I am done.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
91SupraTurbo said:
I didnt think about the intercooler blockoff plate but again I would suggest waiting out the Carbon Fiber shortage not only cuase Duane already can make those but IMO they will look better then the Aluminum.

like you said, in your opinion. i wasn't going for looks here, i was going for a part that would be easy to produce, easy on the wallet and be functional. agreed, the carbon fiber would look cool, but not if you knew how to anodize:naughty:

so cryoslash, chalk me up for a block off plate!

91SupraTurbo

soldd
Nov 18, 2005
Templeton, MA
Thats why we are all entitled to our opinions ;-). I would like to see the the finished product though and see what it comes out like. I wish work didnt take up so much time so I could do things like this.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
index.cfm

Make my hood like that and im in.:love: