That evil rivet in the Cometic/ TMS MHG...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I searched the threads on the Cometic HG, but couldn't find this info;
Which one of the rivet was causing people problems? I test fitted the HG and the head, and I didn't think that any of them were interfering, but I want to be sure. Which one should I be specifically inspecting?
Thanks.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
well when its on the block it should be completely clear which one needs to be removed.

i want to say it the one on the front near the tstat housing. that corner right there.

its been awhile since i've done one ;)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, it seems like some of the rivets are right near the edge, but aren't going to be sandwiched between the head and block. Did they later revise the HG to correct this? I'm going to look at that front rivet,

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
ive herd it has been revised, but put the headgasket on the block with the locating pins in and make sure all of them clear.

The one i got for my car a year or 2 ago had it and i removed it, thought i cant specifically remember where it was.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The only way it's a problem is if the rivet is sandwiched. ;)
(i.e. the rivet touches the head or block decks)

Yeahdoug

Jun 3, 2005
Rochester Hills, MI
It's close. I think because the block and head are milled, it clears. Since it's still on the engine stand I took the head off and took it out for good measure anyway.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
upgradedsupra;950327 said:
ninja edit eh Dub ;)

]
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(stolen from Clueless)