TbcMorris' post fire CT build

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
boostinsupragirl;1032545 said:
grand am? where the hell did that come from i have never owned that i have a mustang lol and a talon

A talon ehhh.....
I have one too tsi all wheel drive turbo....
She's next after the supras running.

And she's being a royal pain!

Today checked
All fuses
All ground
Changed plugs
Starter (getting enough ampreage
Fuel checked again
I can't think of anything else I've checked but I'm gonna keep going with it and post results tonight.

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
Dude take a video of it cranking over. I sugest you go over all of the plugs in the engine bay as well as the ECU plugs and body harness plugs....i once had a problem where the car wouldnt start..... i checked some stuff around and some of my ecu wires were unpluged.

Its probably somethings stupid like an unplugged sensor.

Alex - Im sorry, i knew it was something like that :p hows your mustang doing than.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Well.... I can't wait till Josh updates tonight.

It was a pleasure meeting all of you guys.

Thanks again for feeding me.

It's a shame IGf owns me.

Take care of my baby (TSRM)

EDIT:

OMG jetjock, I love you.

One last detail: Wire # 4. The fourth wire between the igniter and ECU is called IGf (IGnition fail). Unlike the other signals, which are sent from the ECU to the igniter, IGf is sent from the igniter back to the ECU. When a coil pack is fired the igniter senses the firing and generates an IGf. It's a confirmation spark occurred. The ECU needs to know a coil pack fired when it was told to because if it didn't bad things could happen. No spark means unburned fuel would be sent to the catalytic converter for example. So the ECU expects to see an IGf for every IGt it sends. If IGt and IGf don't "add up" for more than a few seconds fuel injection is halted and code 14 is stored in diagnostic memory. You read that right...the engine will stop.

And that is exactly what it is doing, It is stopping.

Last edited:

boostinsupragirl

Dec 16, 2006
connecticut
www.myspace.com
UkiSash;1032742 said:
Dude take a video of it cranking over. I sugest you go over all of the plugs in the engine bay as well as the ECU plugs and body harness plugs....i once had a problem where the car wouldnt start..... i checked some stuff around and some of my ecu wires were unpluged.

Its probably somethings stupid like an unplugged sensor.

Alex - Im sorry, i knew it was something like that :p hows your mustang doing than.
its good it makes like 340 on motor and i have a huge blower at home for it :naughty: should be around 450 with blower, 500 with it intercooled. the talon is coming along i am hoping for 9.50s next year

tbcmorris

Mar 14, 2007
Ok.....so its then end of a loooooooog day

So the no start issue looks like it can be traced back to wiring.

Why: the first red flag was when we were checking the contiuenity from the cam postioning sensor to its conector to the ecu.....one of the wires (I believe it was ground) had no contiuenity. Until we checked it to an ignitor pin out and it had contiuenity. So right there we saw bad wiring so we rewired the cps....ignitor....and coilpacks.

Now it throws a code 14
Igniton signal

When trying to start she goes good for about 2 seconds and then just cranks but no real attepmt to turn. Read rizzo's post about the igf signal.

So we have to figure out why it is still not getting a proper ignition signal specically igf signal.

Also afm signal code...swapped afm still threw same code

So after a long day its really close to starting but the is a grwemlin in the wiring and more specifially the ignition system

I can't think of anything else to put....Yoda Anything to add?

I just want to say thank you again.
Rizzo for coming down and giving a day to this project
88yodaturbo again for giving another day to this
Sloww 66 for alowing me to bother you via tele wayyyyyyyy to much

Ill post again tomarrow when I think of more...once again its 1 in the morning I think sleep is calling......

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
just a quick thought I just had. I know during one part of the day we traced all the wired to the ecu. I'm just thinking maybe be chance a wire was mistaken for another and a signal from the AFM was swapped for a wire for IGf? Worth a look at especially since you have an 87 TSRM at hand !!!!!!

tbcmorris

Mar 14, 2007
88YotaTurbo;1033204 said:
just a quick thought I just had. I know during one part of the day we traced all the wired to the ecu. I'm just thinking maybe be chance a wire was mistaken for another and a signal from the AFM was swapped for a wire for IGf? Worth a look at especially since you have an 87 TSRM at hand !!!!!!

When I start on it again tomarrow thr first thing Ill do before any thing else is recheck the igf signal wire and and the afm.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
We are getting continuity on the IGf circuit. We have to scope it, but I do not own such tools.

The only thing I can think of is either the wiring between the igniter and coil packs is jumbled up, just like the whole wiring harness was, or the igniter itself is bad. We are using an igniter from an 89.... I don't know if that matters yet.

I would post a question in the TCCS section, but I don't want to sound like a fool.

tbcmorris

Mar 14, 2007
I will follow the tsrm on diaging a faulty ignitor. Then I will check the wiring between toe ignitor and the coilpacks. I have another coilpack wire....if those are good I will check the harness contiueity.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
just talked to tbcmorris. He said that within 15 minutes of work today they got it running. It was a missed wired igniter and or a few wires at the ecu plug. Know they have to patch up an oil leak in the return line from turbo and fabricate the brake lines.
I'm sure morris will add more, but this was for the few of us who could not wait, LIKE ME.

tbcmorris

Mar 14, 2007
Ok. So here is what happened and how she got goin.

The engine harness was completely and when I say completely fucked I mean it.

We had to rewire the cps, the coilpacks, and the ignitor. I had an oil leak from a ripped gasket on the turbo oil lines.

Most of yesterday and today was all diagnosis on why we had no spark and why it only tried to start for 2 seconds and then nothing.

What it mainly came down to was wiring....more specifically the igf signal from the ignitor was switch with a ground.

So she runs. Next I have to run those pesky brake lines some more vaccum and I need a new intake....

Toyota here I come!

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Well, it wasn't just IGf that was wired wrong on your harness, IGdA, IGdB, IGt, G1, G2, NE, G-, all of that was mixed up at the ECU connectors. And off the top of my head, Vf and THW were miswired along with a couple others.

Your car gave me a crash course in a MK3's ignition system. Now I am comfortable saying, I know it by heart now!!

tbcmorris

Mar 14, 2007
Frank thanks for going into detail. All of those messed up wires were what I meant by the harness is completely fucked.

We all got our crash course in the supras ignition system. Me you and dave especially.

There is still more wiring to figure out unfortunatly. One thing I have to check is I am not getting a temp reading. I have to trace those wirers by the egr valve. And find out why I am still getting a mass air flow code.

There is still plenty to do on the whole car. But we all gained some very valuable information this weekend and it took many hands in the pot and many heads in the game to get it all figured out.

Now we just have to make it run good!

tbcmorris

Mar 14, 2007
Mid week update:

Thanks for the rotm comment. That thought never crossed my mind before. But when I read that I made me think of how cool that would be after the ridiculas amount of work I have had to do in order to go from a car that by all sane reasoning should have been parted out and sent to supra heaven to car that I can say is my pride and joy. It has taken so much to get to this place. Many bloody knuckles, late nights, sacraficed plans, and emty pockets. Empty pockets for 3 monthes has been rough. But I just want to say thank you for all the kind comments and the inspiration it has helped a lot.

I went to toyota yesterday to price up some of the hoses and little things I need. The total came to just under 100 for everything....most exspensive part was ths the crankcase breathe hose and we all know how those crack.

This weekend ill hopefull get a video up of her starting up and driving.......but that might have to wait. I have to do the clutch and break lines hook up the aem uego wideband conroller and the boost gauge. And get an intake. There is some powersteering work to be done to. I would really like to relocate the resivior where the na car put there's. Has anyone done this? I need to fix the fuel plusation damener and I think I need a new timing belt tensioner.

I have one question for IJ.....since seeing this car and helping me decide everything that needed to be checked......and then now having it running and nearing completion.....what do you think? Any suggestions? Comment? Since talking with you a whil back I would love your input.

That all I can think of for right now. Thanks again all.

Cheers josh

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Josh: Personally I WOULDN'T have done it.

I'd be concerned at the amount of heat the engine bay structural areas received in the fire as our cars are pressed from .9mm Hi Tensile steel and there are very specific guidelines when doing weld repairs to it so you don't compromise strength too much.

Again this is only my opinion as I drive my car very fast at times and there's no room for ? marks at high speeds.

tbcmorris

Mar 14, 2007
IJ

Thank you

I did take that in consideration before starting. I considered anther chasis and othe such options.....upon inspection I could find no real signs of extreme heat. No dicoloration on any surfaces and all the welds and spot welds looked good. So I hope I'm all set! This car will se its fair share of high speed driving. What do you think is the next thing I need to look out for as I finish up? I was concerned as I started it that some of the oil burn off appears to be coming from underneath where I have heat wrapped. Should I be concerned with that. Again thank you for your opions I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know exactly how you felt!

Josh