taillight conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
suprastanger507mgte said:
Not a good answer comparing it to pretending to be like another car or year. Its no different than putting a 1JZ or a 2JZ engine in the MKIII.

wtf you on? 2jz maybe. but you do remember that the 1jz did come in the mkIII from the factory right? not even a comparison between a 1jz mkIII (which came factory from toyota) and jza80 tails on a jza70. big difference there.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
hmmm. where to start?

let's break this down, oldschool style:

Wills7MGTE said:
Everyone on here acts like they hate mk4's, well truth be told you buy an mk3 because you cannot afford the mk4 and everyone with an mk3 has an inferiority complex about it, don't pretend ya don't we all own em we all know LOL.

absolutely not. i could affort an mkiv, (probably a '93) and still have money left over, but i'd rather have an mkiii. i like the style better, i like everything about it, and i do NOT like everything about the MKIV. i have no inferiority complex about it, because if i wanted one, i'd buy one. ;)

Wills7MGTE said:
I think mk4's look good, they are much better engineered.

that happens with newer technology. ;) otherwise we'd all be driving around model A's.

Wills7MGTE said:
Look at our high HP guys, we are stoked to make 500 or 600 or even 800 and fact is thats what noobs can make with 10k and an MK4, they handle better, they are lighter, they are more reliable, whats not to be envious of.

as stated, newer technology- it's bound to happen. ;) keep in mind that the 2jz might not exist had it not been for the MKIII.

wait until MKIV's get to be 20+ years old. see how reliable they are then... (though, the 2jz is a great motor) - but we won't really know until they're as old as our cars are right now.

lighter? Curb Weight: 3415 lbs. taken from- http://www.edmunds.com/used/1993/toyota/supra/8890/specs.html

i'm sure we can make our cars handle just as well as an MKIV.

alright, i'm done...

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Wills7MGTE said:
Everyone on here acts like they hate mk4's, well truth be told you buy an mk3 because you cannot afford the mk4 and everyone with an mk3 has an inferiority complex about it, don't pretend ya don't we all own em we all know LOL. I think mk4's look good, they are much better engineered. Look at our high HP guys, we are stoked to make 500 or 600 or even 800 and fact is thats what noobs can make with 10k and an MK4, they handle better, they are lighter, they are more reliable, whats not to be envious of.
lol...

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Mk IV tail lights don't look any worse than most of the hacked up "custom" stock tail lights I've seen posted...

And no, I didn't buy my 87 because I couldn't afford a MkIV. It happened to be the right price at the right time when I was looking to replace my MkII. I wouldn't mind having a MkIV, though.
Contrary to popular belief, the 2JZ is not indestructible. I had to replace one in a 2001 IS 300 last year. Motor was overheated to the point it locked up. Its just like every other motor, only as good as the person who owns it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ liar. the 2jz a magical, un-breakable motor. ask anyone, they'll tell you the same.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I feel the first photo looks allright. Although another alternative to making your car look more modern is to retrofit LED's like I did:
led2.jpg

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Wills7MGTE said:
Everyone on here acts like they hate mk4's, well truth be told you buy an mk3 because you cannot afford the mk4 and everyone with an mk3 has an inferiority complex about it, don't pretend ya don't we all own em we all know LOL. I think mk4's look good, they are much better engineered. Look at our high HP guys, we are stoked to make 500 or 600 or even 800 and fact is thats what noobs can make with 10k and an MK4, they handle better, they are lighter, they are more reliable, whats not to be envious of.

Wrong. I bought a MKIII because I wanted a MKIII. Seems you're just jealous because you weren't a noob with money for a MKIV?:naughty:

EvoLuTioN

no-JZ Your Mom!
Mar 10, 2006
Bed
Wills7MGTE said:

2jz or not it's still an mk3

P.S. THOSE TAILIGHTS LOOK LIKE ASS ON THE MK3

i'm going to be like everybody and quote you, and tell you you're wrong :)

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I bought my MKIII because I wanted a MKIII. If I had wanted a MKIV I would have saved up and gotten one. But why save up 20-30 grand just to pay for a used and abused mk4 when you can just drop a 1/2jz in the mk3? The only other car I want right now is a Corrola sr5/gts as a DD.:eek3dance

ma70mkiii

Jul 16, 2007
ohio
Ok.... as I expected I got the reaction I wanted. I have an 89 and I have an 88 also and i blacked out my 88 taillights and was going to keep them for my 89 because in some european supras they didnt have the 3 piece taillights because of the wide yellow license plates but I just wanted to get everyones input on the whole conversion thing. I know how you guys pretty much dislike the fact or molesting the mkiii body style. and for the record the eclipes and other hondas and shit that like to use the mkiv taillights.... need to be slapped. I seen an integra with mkiv tails.... needless to say that person got a nasty e-mail... lol. Well thanks for all the posts.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
The only vehicle I've seen that's come the closest to pulling off the MKIV tail's conversion was a Chevy Silverado. It was bagged to lay frame, custom bed deleting the stock lights, and the Supra lights were in the rear bumper cover.

It was the best attempt I've seen yet, but still didn't look that good IMO.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
MassSupra89 said:
The only vehicle I've seen that's come the closest to pulling off the MKIV tail's conversion was a Chevy Silverado. It was bagged to lay frame, custom bed deleting the stock lights, and the Supra lights were in the rear bumper cover.

It was the best attempt I've seen yet, but still didn't look that good IMO.

I saw a set put into a celica once, and it didnt look that bad (1995ish celica w/ a veilside kit).

Status
Not open for further replies.