taillight conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Wills7MGTE said:
Everyone on here acts like they hate mk4's, well truth be told you buy an mk3 because you cannot afford the mk4 and everyone with an mk3 has an inferiority complex about it, don't pretend ya don't we all own em we all know LOL.

Speak for yourself.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Wills7MGTE said:
Everyone on here acts like they hate mk4's, well truth be told you buy an mk3 because you cannot afford the mk4 and everyone with an mk3 has an inferiority complex about it, don't pretend ya don't we all own em we all know LOL. I think mk4's look good, they are much better engineered. Look at our high HP guys, we are stoked to make 500 or 600 or even 800 and fact is thats what noobs can make with 10k and an MK4, they handle better, they are lighter, they are more reliable, whats not to be envious of.

2jz or not it's still an mk3

P.S. THOSE TAILIGHTS LOOK LIKE ASS ON THE MK3

Half of that paragraph is debatable.. and in all honesty, I dont hate them, BUT I TRULY DISLIKE MK4's. Maybe some on this board bought an mk3 supra hoping to catch some props for the name or something and feel bad that they dont have mk4's.

Pesonally I love collecting all the parts that never came on the mk3's in the US and really that just fuels my desire for my car. So these cars aren't as advanced, that doesnt make me jealous or envious of anything, they are what they are.

Also, 2JZ's are nice engines, but who's counting numbers on a dyno.. I'm sure some on this board do, but at a certain point it doesnt even matter. I'm plenty fine with my 1JZ.

I had the money to buy a mark 4, but i decided i didnt wanna buy the car because they are expensive, I generally dont like the look of them and the mk3 appealed to me so much more. Love the pop-ups, love the targa, love it all.

To each his own.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
suprastanger507mgte said:
Not a good answer comparing it to pretending to be like another car or year. Its no different than putting a 1JZ or a 2JZ engine in the MKIII.

BTw: In that picture, it looks pretty nice. in MY opinion. if you like it, go for it. Just make sure whoever does the conversion does a top notch job as in the example you have posted.
Swapping an engine in is very different because you can't see the difference from the outside. To the normal viewer your car looks the same. With changing the tail lights you are trying to make your car look more like a newer Supra. Making your car pretend to be something it isn't is one of the definitions of rice.

For the record, I love the JZA80 and I love its tail lights. But they look awful on an *A70. Just doesn't flow with the lines.

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
TaSe said:
Not my cup of tea but you do what you want with your $$ if you like them bottom line is, its your car and your going to see it every time you walk away or to your car.

i dont think that it looks THAT bad.

truly, to each his own

but you wont find me doing that conversion any time soon.

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
BorHor were you planning on it????

I think it looks interesting and it gives it some new flavor

is it any different that adding 89+ tailights to a pre 89 body?

it is truly up to the owner.....they have to look at it.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
You dont have to use body filler to put 89+ lights on the car.:naughty:

IMHO the only reason to do something of this nature is for car show purposes. Even then it is no longer an original idea as mk4 lights have been put on everything...and looks like crap on 95%:biglaugh:

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Putting on MK4 lights isnt even show. It is straight lame. With the money spent on getting it to look right you can just buy a MK4.

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
I did the 89+ lights on my 88 and I liked it, but I had some people telling me that it didnt look right without the 89+spoiler and the 89+front bumper and they said I should keep the 88 lights on there.

but it's my car and I did what I thought looked good. I think the 89+ taillights give the rear a smoother look, so I went with it.

its true that the mk4 taillights on other things does not look good, as im sure that we have all seen.

some times it not about the money that could have spent elsewhere its about the style that they like.

Im not one that has the money to spend on a conversion like this so I wont be doing it anytime soon.

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
therefore, I went wingless.

p821090_1.jpg

:naughty:

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
I don't hate the A80. I hate what it's become. F&F has completely trashed the A80 Supra. Period. Also, there is a large group of A80 owners that own them because of that movie.

It's all about preference. I prefer the 86.5-88 A70 Supra. I don't like the buck-toothed front end of 89+. I still want the taillights and molding, though. Does that mean that I hate Joe's car? No. Do I hate Moe's car? No. I just prefer the look of the first half production.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Thats because thats all you have owned.

I diddn't like it either untill I bought my 3rd supra the 89, everything about an 89 + is better in my eyes. All the small interior touches make the biggest difference in how much newer the car feels. Just the stupid window buttons are miles more awesome.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
suprastanger507mgte said:
Not a good answer comparing it to pretending to be like another car or year. Its no different than putting a 1JZ or a 2JZ engine in the MKIII.

There is a HUGE difference with dropping an a70 series motor into an a70 chassis and putting a80 taillights onto an a70.

Do what YOU want, to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.