SupraMania, What should I do??

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
Okay, I called the insurance company, because my dad said he took insurance off the Supra, and they said they haven't seen a 87 Supra at all on the plan. So I have never had insurance on the car. On top of that, tags are expired, because the DMV didn't give them to us when we payed taxes when we bought the car.

It seems like nobody really has time to take care of the car but me, and where I'm so young, I can't even pick up the tags, or drive to the DMV for that matter.

So what should I do, here are my options

1. Let it sit, letting it rust, not putting money in it because I can't legally get a job (I'm 15)
2. Sell it

I'm really weighing on selling it. It's a great car, and more than enough for me, but why let it sit and lose it's beauty? What's the point of having a car, if you don't drive it?
I think it needs someone who has the time for it and can care for it.

Can I get advice/input?

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
Sell it

your right there is no point of letting it sit there

save the money and when your older buy another

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Your only 15. It's not like the car is gonna sit for years. I bought my car and let it sit in the back yard for 2 years before it ever moved. And what do you mean you can't get a job. Do you have a lawn mower, or a snow shovel? When I was 15, that's what I did. I made good money. I had 10 yards, each yard mowed once a week for $15. $600 per month, only working 4 days per month. Then when I did get a job, I sold the yards to a local landscaping business.
All in all it's up to you. Good luck.

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
Well I turn 16 in 3 months, and I can get a job then, but I'm also wanting to trade. I really don't think any more money needs to go into a hardtop auto non-turbo Supra.

I wouldn't mind to trade, and let it sit for 3 months until I get a job.

Anybody with a n/a targa willing to trade?

But if I sold it, how much would it sell for? All original paperwork, and nothing in the engine is modified so I guess it would be a nice daily!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
oh, n/a auto, my intuition says sell but if it is really clean i'd hold on to it.

I bought my car and left it in the garage untouched for 4 months. Not always bad to wait, just wash it, cover it, put on some jack stands until your financially stable enough to swap in a 1jz into your clean hardtop n/a shell. :)

Look at your financial self control, if you sold it what would you do with the money? Would you feel inclined to spend it bit by bit until you eventually spent it all, or would you put it into a savings account and have the lump sum for later.

If you think you have a real future with the car keep it, nothing wrong with waiting if its really in that nice of condition. If you think you can find something better in nicer condition sell it. I'd stash it, work and not drive and get rides for a while stockpiling my money until i could afford to do what i wanted even if it took over a year.

swap a 1jz into it man.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Many of us let our cars sit for much longer than 3 months at a time. SEveral builds around here have taken 1-2 years or longer, me included. Just because a non turbo automatic is not the most popular car on these boards, doesn't mean you can't drive it and be happy with it until you are older, have more driving experience, more money, and are ready to upgrade. Then you can trade it, upgrade it, sell it, or whatever. Most people on this site are older, and their cars are their hobbies. You don't have to keep up with all those guys just yet. Stay here for the knowlege, but don't listen to all of the hobbyists while they tell you your car is bad.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
sitting for a couple of months,or even years, no big deal, i've been sitting on my mk2's for a coupleof years now, allit's costing is a little shop space

i sold boith of mt mk3's and frankly, i'm kinna starting to regret it.

but i found a n/a targa in amarillo, along with another mk2...the itch is starting...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Hmmm... a 16yo with a turbo car... Insurance is gonna love you!

Keep your NA, drive it, learn it, then later do a turbo swap on it so you still have the NA VIN. :icon_bigg

That's my $.02. I can't think of a new driver that needs boost. Will give you a little bit of room for a few 'oops' moments that you will more than likely have.

*edit*
I wasn't boosted until I was 19, and I'm better for it.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Id keep it, nice/clean supras are hard to come by. If not keeping it, id try to trade/sell for a turbo car.

But I do agree with others that a new driver should not have a car as fast as a turbo Supra for a first car. My first car was a Jeep Cherokee [got it at 15, didnt run when I got it.] Drove that , had 3 "oops" [minor damage] moments, and ive learned from them. Got my Supra halfway through 17, still have it. :)

I think if I got a Supra [turbo] as a first car, I know it would be nothing but trouble.

As for a trade, you could try this guy. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60914

Good Luck :p

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Lol. My car sat for at least 2 years while I pieced it back together(front end damage, bhg). I have an 87 n/a hardtop, and love it. Still a lot of fun to drive. As a matter of fact, I've had much faster cars that where way LESS fun to drive. Keep the Supra, get it running good, and drive it when you get your license. Trust me, you'll have a blast. It'll be a good car to learn in, as well, as they drive and handle better than most cars in the same price range.

My father is a general contractor. By the time I was your age, I could roof a house, build a deck, do drywall repairs, and paint quite well. "Hung out" with my day everyday during the summers from around 12 yrs. old until I was out of school. The point is I did what I could to get some pocket money.

Aren't you the kid that offered to do polishing work? Take some of your work to the local metal shops, and see if they'll apprentice you in.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
Hmmm... a 16yo with a turbo car... Insurance is gonna love you!

Keep your NA, drive it, learn it, then later do a turbo swap on it so you still have the NA VIN. :icon_bigg

That's my $.02. I can't think of a new driver that needs boost. Will give you a little bit of room for a few 'oops' moments that you will more than likely have.

*edit*
I wasn't boosted until I was 19, and I'm better for it.

My insurance is only $350 every six months, 16, turbo 5spd supra w/ one minor accident. I'm not quite a new driver, but not supremely experienced or anything yet. I'd say I'm beyond most of the stupid basic mistakes. Supras are picky, it depends on the individual if they can handle it or not. My car, for example, had too much shit wrong with it to keep risking it by driving it. So, I followed IJ's and MDC's (and I'm sure, anyone else I had asked would have said the same thing) advice and I parked it.