Superchips For A Supra.

D.J. Aranda

Jun 30, 2009
Tennessee
Moy;1355427 said:
There are no chips for our ecu's, you need a piggyback or standalone ems

Ok, so 'superchips' are outta the question. What kind of piggy-back or stand alone unit are we talk'n about? ($?)

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
The question is are you trying to tune your car, or are you just looking for something you can plug in to to make easy cheap instant HP.

If your looking for instant HP, it doesnt exist.

If your looking to tune, the first order of business is a wideband 02 sensor, with a gauge to monitor your Air fuel ratios, then you need fuel management to make corrections. Stand-alone is most likely too pricy for you, you will probably want a piggy back such as Apexi AFC or MAFT pro. I like MAFT pro because you can ditch the restrictive MAF sensor. Suprasport.com offers a package which incudes a wideband o2 for like $750 Tuning AFR's is serious busines as errors can kill an engine. Not to insult you but the fact that your asking this means you arent ready to tune. so either hit the books and study hard or find a reputable shop that can do it for you, but dont just try to "wing it" because the results can be catastrophic.

Plan to spend $500-$1000 to get set up, plus more if you need an AFPR (adjustable fuel pressure regulator) plus labor to install and tune. If your chasing big numbers you may need larger injectors, and a new fuel pump down the line.

D.J. Aranda

Jun 30, 2009
Tennessee
lewis15498;1355446 said:
The question is are you trying to tune your car, or are you just looking for something you can plug in to to make easy cheap instant HP.

If your looking for instant HP, it doesnt exist.

If your looking to tune, the first order of business is a wideband 02 sensor, with a gauge to monitor your Air fuel ratios, then you need fuel management to make corrections. Stand-alone is most likely too pricy for you, you will probably want a piggy back such as Apexi AFC or MAFT pro. I like MAFT pro because you can ditch the restrictive MAF sensor. Suprasport.com offers a package which incudes a wideband o2 for like $750 Tuning AFR's is serious busines as errors can kill an engine. Not to insult you but the fact that your asking this means you arent ready to tune. so either hit the books and study hard or find a reputable shop that can do it for you, but dont just try to "wing it" because the results can be catastrophic.

Plan to spend $500-$1000 to get set up, plus more if you need an AFPR (adjustable fuel pressure regulator) plus labor to install and tune. If your chasing big numbers you may need larger injectors, and a new fuel pump down the line.

I was kinda leanen tward the 'Tune the car' part, but gettn instant HP would've only been a bonus. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into some Apexi products to see what I can find.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Why is that? Why do S4 owners slap on a chip and get an extra 50hp? What's stopping our cars from allowing to do that?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Alec;1355456 said:
Why is that? Why do S4 owners slap on a chip and get an extra 50hp? What's stopping our cars from allowing to do that?

Cause our cars aren't electronicly boost control'd stock....our cars are old as dirt...and our ecu isn't "remap'able"....it's not expensive to make 300+-hp on a well maintained turbo supra in mostly stock form with a stock fuel system and afm...all you need is a boost controler, better downpipe and exhaust, and for safe measure a wideband. So in reality our stock afm's do give us some room for power before fuel cut and most of the mods I listed are stuff that people do anyway without thinking about it...consider it the "supra tax".

A dp and exhaust alone can net you an instant 30hp so as far as I'm concerned there is no need for a chip.

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Alec;1355456 said:

My dad has been looking at chips for his BMW M3 that can do the same thing.

The chips reprogram the fuel-air ratio, and increase boost if there's a turbo involved. For my dad, he's N/A, so it just enriches the fuel-air ratio and rewrites a few other things and voila! instantly more HP.

This is possible because electronics contol these systems in an M3. Not so for a supra if you can't do this.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
My brother actually has an ecu that has been breathed on by superchips. However they no longer make them.

Reprogrammed ecus have daughter boards in all cases iirc. You can find them around from time to time but expect to pay a good bit for them.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
MKIIINA;1355631 said:
My brother actually has an ecu that has been breathed on by superchips. However they no longer make them.

Reprogrammed ecus have daughter boards in all cases iirc. You can find them around from time to time but expect to pay a good bit for them.

And yet people buy these crap ecu's and think they are special:-(. They aren't worth Jack shit.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
im confused.. what ones are you calling shit? my brothers allows him to have a higher fuel cut and a slight change in timing. the Mine's ecu's floating around are pretty nice too (higher redline, no fc, changes in timing maps, preprogrammed for bigger injectors etc) worth it imho for the mild modifications (self included) that people have

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Why would you want to eliminate Fuel cut? its there for a reason.
Modded ECUs are benificial mostly if your modding the car very mildly. All blitz, mines and whatever other modded ECU that is out there is usually always run on stock turbo, fuel, and afm.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
MKIIINA;1357605 said:
im confused.. what ones are you calling shit? my brothers allows him to have a higher fuel cut and a slight change in timing. the Mine's ecu's floating around are pretty nice too (higher redline, no fc, changes in timing maps, preprogrammed for bigger injectors etc) worth it imho for the mild modifications (self included) that people have

I think what they mean by that is the company specificaly tunes the ecu daughter board mines, sard, blitz, (basicaly TechTom) to the specific mod
So if they tuned it on a JDM car with different injectors fuel octane higher in japan with certain mods like a different turbo size etc then you spend 500-700$$ for these ECUs not retuned for your car specificaly then your new car ecu blows up your engine because it was not meant for it. or you even end up catching it with a EGT or wide band meter then you have to add an AFC or even get it retuned for another 500+

So by now you have spent well over what would cover the cost of the more afordable standalones ECUs that are easy to adjust tuning down the road.

The exception to this is HKS ecus they cost an arm and a leg to tune because only they can tune them.

Motec haves some limitations to software access you have to pay to have certain access but at least you dont have to to take it to motec only dealers.

Your friends case might be lucky the engine ECU match or he bought the car pretuned just be carfull when forking up 500 for a stickered ECU it is not always the end all.