Stumped on tuning device options

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
I am about to be putting my car back together in a much better form and plan to have some power on tap this time. However I am stumped as to what would be best for my setup either maft-pro or full blown AEM EMS. I can see the pro's and cons of both but I am not sure yet what I will need to acomplish my goals. First off the new setup (minor changes may occur)

Built motor (rods pistons etc...)
Suprasport Boss/Lipp stage 5 bolt on (66mm depending on how laggy it is)
680 or 720 cc PTE or RC injectors
Walbro fuel pump
all the other suporting mods

The car will be driven alot but I am throwing my AE86 or toyota truck together for a beater but I only plan to use that in severe weather since I love to drive the supra.My requirements are AC PS etc... crispy idle, No stumble on sudden accel stock drivablility bassicly only more power :)

Thanks in advance for the help
BJ

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
AEM or another comparable full standalone system .skip the pain and anguish of piggybacks

Just my $.02
You get what you pay for!!!!!

Jason

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
Thats what im thinking not to mention the 2 people that i know that use AEM are willing to help me with it (I hope :) )

very nice engine bay there tun x

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I'm in the same situation as Mustangman05. I'm leaning towards the MAFT-PRO because of the $$$ to buy a standalone ECU and the $$$ to tune a standalone ECU. And I have known a couple people running the AEM and it seems like something is always a little off in tuning or drivability of the car. But I do not have first hand experience.

Justin727

T-virus infected
alot of mkiv guys are having trouble with their aem's not working correctly. A few mk3 guys like 3 that I know of had the same problem. Most sent the aem back for repairs or replacement. The others went motech w/o problems...
must be a bad batch they have out there!

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
yeah I have heard of the aem problems but motec is just so expensive for my budget :(

I'm gonna miss my greddy gauges since they will get replaced with a serial gauge :(

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
I choose the VPC route with the S-AFC.
Plenty of people have gone over 600hp with it.

You cannot tune every aspect with it, but it's considerably cheaper than a stand alone ECU.

Maybe one day though.

iAmWesG

Aug 7, 2007
TX
What about other stand-alones? Has anyone used Haltech or SpeedPro or eManage or anything like that with any success? Just curious...

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
well I would be looking at $675 for maft pro with boost controll and a WB 02

or $2.175 for aem plug and play with boost controll and a WB O2

big price jump but the added features and tunablility are attractive to me