Stock turbo pistons in N/A block?

mk3tt

Nov 7, 2006
kail-Fresno
I just wounder would it be possible to put the stock turbo pistion (7mgte) into the na block without the rod, but using the 7mge rode with 7mgte piston? or would it be best to get an aftermarket pistion ? for na-t

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
stock turbo pistons will make u slooow. lower compression. and you will need to get everything machined to spec. you can't just bolt them up and drive.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I hear of guys mixing and matching and having 2 different types of rods. So I just warn against it. Because it seems like some are just doing it to solve a problem without checking the specs. That seems wrong and at best temporary to me. My bad if I was wrong.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
shouldn't matter what casting number the rods are so long as you balance the rotating assembly.

this is provided that the big and small end diameters and the center to center are the same, which I'm 99% sure they are. I can't see toyota bothering to make 2 different parts for the same engine.

mk3tt

Nov 7, 2006
kail-Fresno
since its the same bore, then that mean 7mgte and 7mge piston are interchangable, but would it lower the compression or raise the compression since its still n/a head ?

mk3tt

Nov 7, 2006
kail-Fresno
IJ. said:
Heads are the same....

Pistons are the only change between GTE/GE so it would drop comp to 8.5:1.

GTE's have squirters and a drain hole for the turbo in the block.

what do you mean by "Pistons are the only change between GTE/GE so it would drop comp to 8.5:1. " ? did u ment that they can be interchagable

TRIO_driver

Sep 26, 2010
Novi Sad
So, to sum up all this, if I put 7MGTE pistons into GE block, should I change something, to make it work as with original pistons?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Junior;564644 said:
this is provided that the big and small end diameters and the center to center are the same, which I'm 99% sure they are.

Come again?!?

You can't interchange caps between rods. I take you haven't assembled engines. (prepares for the "yes I did, and it didn't do anything")

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
TRIO_driver;1716897 said:
So, to sum up all this, if I put 7MGTE pistons into GE block, should I change something, to make it work as with original pistons?

You can put turbo pistons in a n/a block so as the bores are the same.
IF your still n/a tho your going to lose power.

TRIO_driver

Sep 26, 2010
Novi Sad
How to bring power back?

Since head was recently rebuild, it means I should lowered a little off a block, so I can get again same compression ratio as with non turbo pistons?