Starting problem (a/f ratio?)

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
My engine runs basically good right now, except for it missing an EGR peice so its leaking, however it does not want to start without any kind of encouragement from something like starting fluid. This is leading me to believe that starting a/f ratio is off during the start. This problem has only shown its self after the headgasket job, and i'm wondering what to check on it when I have it on a lift this friday. is it something as simple as a plug or the EGR plate thats going back on it soon? Thanks for your help

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Why is EGR not hooked up? It creates a massive vacuum leak that will lean out your engine, the manifold is open to air. That is a very likely cause.

A second choice is the power from the start portion of the ignition switch isn't making to the injector resistor. I would have to look up the schematic in the electrical wiring diagram.

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
The EGR isn't fully blocked off because during the re installation of the head and intake manifold, I must have missed one of the brackets because I have one of the block off plates that a previous owner had made. When I get the car on a lift later this week I will install that, i just haven't done it cause the car doesnt have plates and its cold out. As far as the wiring goes, would that be something as simple as a connector in the intake/fuel rail? because I believe there was one or two not plugged in after the gasket job, however I have no recolation if they were connected before the gasket job. I doubt any of the wiring conversions in the swap (I drive a MK2 supra) were effected as they are all on the fusebox area and the dash.

As far as a problem with the fuel delivery system, the engine runs great, better than I have ever heard on it, after it starts. This is what makes me believe the car isnt being primed properly. Where specifically are the two other EGR locations, I know one is from the head to the intake and one is on the intake to somewhere. However, It would make life so much easier for me if I know approx where on the intake manifold (hell even which third) the EGR connections are.

Thanks so much guys