Star Trek Movie - Love it? Hate it?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
For those of you that like Star Trek, seriously, only see this movie if you want reasons to justify JJ Abrams upcoming murder... :3d_frown:

I went into this open minded, and was semi-enjoying it until about 10 minutes before the end, when they just gave up on the storyline and didn't resolve a major plot point.

The dialogue in places was cliched, especially for Scotty, which although Simon Pegg played admirably, just grated on the fans in the audience - you could feel the disappointment.

The effects were far too quick in places, not allowing you to see wtf is going on, and someone seriously needs to break the lens flare tool that Abrams insists on using in virtually every scene, i have no objection to it being used on occasion, but honestly, every 2 minutes means i end up annoyed, and blinded, by having to constantly squint.

For me, now, the franchise is effectively dead. As a generic space movie, this would be great, but Star Trek, this most definitely is not. :nono:

Cycoclown

SHAAWING!!!
Jan 18, 2008
Vacaville, CA
www.myspace.com
i planned on seeing this, but after this wonderful heads up, im thinkin ill wait till one of my friends grabs it on dvd or w/e and ill take a look. its 11.75 for a movie out here.

but anyway thanks for the heads up :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Guess I'll see Wolverine: Origins first, then :) Appreciate the heads up.

And I can vouch that he went in open-minded - we discussed this pretty much at length on Tuesday :)

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
I was very disapointed with wolverine and was looking foward
to seeing the new star trek. Oh well, I hope Terminator is gonna be
good.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I figured as much.. Nemesis blew. Terminator is the last hope of long running movies that might be worth watching

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
I saw this tonite, it was ok. I'm so glad i work at a movie theatre. I can watch these movies for free :) Crappy or not.

X-men was good and has 2 different endings for those that dont know.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I saw xmen pre-release, and I thought it was pretty good. It's pretty much non-stop violence with a little plot for good measure. Damned shame about ST, I was hoping it would be worth it.

Thanks for the heads-up!

djblastsupratuner

Boost you must...........
May 2, 2007
Florida
Kai;1314479 said:
I went into this open minded, and was semi-enjoying it until about 10 minutes before the end, when they just gave up on the storyline and didn't resolve a major plot point.

The effects were far too quick in places, not allowing you to see wtf is going on, and someone seriously needs to break the lens flare tool that Abrams insists on using in virtually every scene, i have no objection to it being used on occasion, but honestly, every 2 minutes means i end up annoyed, and blinded, by having to constantly squint.

I agree with you somewhat Kai. The ending is true to what you said. I didnt see when the storyline would end. It looks like they put the storyline together in like a couple months. Just like kai said about the effects holy crap :3d_frown: It does get annoying when you dont know see whats going on. But there is one thing i give a little more props to what kai said but in reality its an okay movie.

Apr 1, 2005
WA
saw it at imax. i wasnt disappointed but i wasnt expecting much and i didnt have to pay for tickets. i thought at least half of the movie was good but it did suffer from the contrived plot and quick-cut action scenes (made worse by the huge imax screen). but what can we expect from the creator of Felicity?

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
Well, I saw star trek tonight and I thought it was pretty damn good. I was not disappointed at all, like I was for x-men.