Sports Bike....I have questions.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Ric said:
ps, i never took a msf course. I rode 1 year without a bike endorsement til i was 21 and was able to get it without taking the course, but ive had about 5 years of dirtbike riding under my belt prior.

You think that may be one of the reasons it was easier for you to start out on a bigger bike?

As I said before, my first bike was an 1100xx. But, I borrowed a friends 500 while I was learning, it was a much easier bike to ride.

Maybe this newb's first bike should be a hayabusa, we can even install a 1/4-throttle to make it easier to accelerate (yes, that is sarcastic).

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
My starter bike was a Bonnieville 750. I great starter bike. I put 1500 miles on that.
Next was a BMW GS 1150. (I know the Bonnie was faster.)
Third, I got a Triumph Sprint RS 955.
Bike #4 was a Speed Triple 1050. <<Not a good starter bike. ;)
Now I have A Ducati 996. (best bike ever)

I have only been riding for two years, about 7000 miles total.

It is up to you to protect yourself.
You must have the utmost respect for the personal damage potential that exists each time you release the clutch.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Any vehicle has the potential to kill you is used improper. However a moped wont flip over backwards if you goose the throttle a lil too much. A moped isnt likely to flip over forward is you grab a hand full of brake either.

A simple road hazard at 45mph might not be a big deal. However, I havent seen many mopeds that can push 180mph where 'simple' can kill you fast. Mopeds dont usually hit their power band at 10k rpms either. Not many people are used to a motor just starting to come alive at 10k rpms, catchs you off guard fast.

Mopeds have much lower center of gravity and arent likely to be twitchy. Not sure if Ive ever seen a moped get in a tank slapper before. Modern sport bikes are very prone to tank slappers.

On a moped you could likely lock the rear brake and slid the wheel 2 feet to one side and be ok. Modern sport bike, if you lock the rear wheel sliding it off to a side and let go of the brakes.... Your doomed.

It can go on and on, but it wont matter. The people that think they can 'learn' to ride on a high perfomance bike just will never accept other wise. plenty of people get on a high power bike and not crash sure. They however arent learning proper riding skills. They are learning how to let the bike do all the work. I know plenty of guys that can out ride that type of person with RR bikes on small ninja250s.

When you start on a small bike you really learn how to ride and push a bike to its limits. When you start big you just learn how to not crash.

Also while Im ranting, I love hearing people say 'Ill out grow a 600cc bike in a month. I need the 1xxxcc so I wont outgrow it' Makes no sense how you can out grow any bike. Even if you can outgrow a bike what happens in a few months with the 1xxxcc bike. You suddenly cant outgrow that bike anymore because theres no thing bigger?

/opinion

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Wow Ric, your logics and reasoning are very skewed. A 1000cc+ bike is NOT a good bike to learn on. The point of learning is to hone your skills for riding. Learn basic control and get a feel for riding. You will be able to do this much better, and cheaper on a smaller bike. No need for 130+whp when you've never been on a bike before. You learn to control the bike, not let the bike toss you around.

That's like giving a beginner driver with a learners permit and no driving school a Ford GT and saying "Here you go, just take it easy and don't go full throttle, It's just as easy as a Corolla"

Get an early 90's 600 or smaller, Katana's and such bikes may be ugly, but they can be had for VERY cheap and are a good learning tool. You won't be afraid to drop it at low speeds(just riding around slow in a parking lot is the best way to learn the basics of turning and balance when you first start) and when you're ready to upgrade you'll still have money to buy that bike you want.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Ermm... so your country doesn't regulate the usage of the bikes? I mean here, if the license is made, you are starting out with like 250 or sumtin, then move on in couple of years or make ''new'' licenses or smt(don't know exactly:))
OT
In my driving school there was a first, information, class. And there was a woman asking question over question how she could get to the 600 bike. How this and why that etc...So I think it's good, that that's regulated.

And my thoughts about power: I think, that no matter how ''smart'' or whatever you are, if you have power under your butt, you'll wanna try it, no matter what. So sooner or later you will push it, and this could be the last time you push anything.... not right?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
That is a good idea in theory to "keep people safe" I guess, so just any idiot can't go out and buy a rocket to die on... But that's what makes freedom so great. I wouldn't be able to live with my country telling me I can't buy something I want.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
MassSupra89 said:
I wouldn't be able to live with my country telling me I can't buy something I want.

I want a rocket lancher but the country tells me I cant buy one....

Whats the difference?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
You get it illegally :D
That's what's going to happen anyways, and will happen. So even this regulation is not waterproof... at all :D
Maybe the only option is to wait and look, who listened to good advice, who to bad advice. The results are probably known to everyone. (I'm not saying what's bad what's wrong)

And mopeds, that is one goddamn bullshit. Here there are A LOT people dieing driving mopeds. You don't need license for it, only a helmet and you need 16 years to live. (or make some license and start from 14 y.o). Now that is fucked up, cause young children can't probably undestand right, what are they doing.
At least the ''older'' bikers CAN understand, if they want, what they are doing.

Last edited:

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Ckanderson said:
I want a rocket lancher but the country tells me I cant buy one....

Whats the difference?

Go to Mexico and bring it back, That's what I do when America tells me I can't have something.:naughty:

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Ric, I applaud you that you've never dropped your bike before, But the fact is, for most people - it's going to happen. It's even more likely that it will happen when you are new to riding.

A smaller bike is easier to control and handles better - I don't know anybody who disputes this other than you.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
MassSupra89 said:
Wow Ric, your logics and reasoning are very skewed. A 1000cc+ bike is NOT a good bike to learn on. The point of learning is to hone your skills for riding. Learn basic control and get a feel for riding. You will be able to do this much better, and cheaper on a smaller bike. No need for 130+whp when you've never been on a bike before. You learn to control the bike, not let the bike toss you around.

That's like giving a beginner driver with a learners permit and no driving school a Ford GT and saying "Here you go, just take it easy and don't go full throttle, It's just as easy as a Corolla"

Get an early 90's 600 or smaller, Katana's and such bikes may be ugly, but they can be had for VERY cheap and are a good learning tool. You won't be afraid to drop it at low speeds(just riding around slow in a parking lot is the best way to learn the basics of turning and balance when you first start) and when you're ready to upgrade you'll still have money to buy that bike you want.

Lol hey I love my Katana, Its not actually a good bike to learn on I think. The kat is pretty (top)heavy which causes problems for new riders. It was my 2nd bike and I cant give it up, Its great for looonnng rides. Its fast enough for me(Ive done like 135 indicated). You can drag knees if your a good enough rider. Ive done alot of work on it too, its 1 of a FEW katanas in the US with an ohlins su801 rear shock with remote oil reservoir and remote preload adjust canister! I plan to drop in a bandit 1200cc motor(bolt in). All in all a great sport touring bike to have around.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Ric is right. But it looks like (not unexpected) most of the people on here are exactly the kind of morons who will go out and kill themselves because they have no self control.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
mkIIIman089 said:
Ric is right. But it looks like (not unexpected) most of the people on here are exactly the kind of morons who will go out and kill themselves because they have no self control.

So you believe it's no different to learn on a Hayabusa or a GS500 too?

Awesome.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
mkIIIman089 said:

Self control has no thing to do with it, unskilled is the problem.