Sports Bike....I have questions.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I've been thinking about getting a bike, I currently don't have a motorcycle license, but would like to get a sports bike. I was told to get a smaller used one to start out with and upgrade later, how would one know he's ready to upgrade? How hard is it to learn? What cost are involved? What things do I need to look out for? What bike would you recommend? Eventually, I like to get something like this...

2.jpg

...or this...

1.jpg

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Do yourself a favor and don't get a supersport for your first motorcycle like you mentioned.

Good starter bikes are ninja 250s, GS500s, buel blasts can be pretty good, EX500s.

Go take an MSF class first of all before you pick anything for sure.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
OneJoeZee said:
Do yourself a favor and don't get a supersport for your first motorcycle.

Did you learn to drive in a Viper?

Start small.

That's what I'm saying...people tell me to start small but WOULD LIKE TO MOVE UP TO driving something like those bike.

EDIT: damn ninja editor

mattcosta7

Jun 20, 2007
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Im actually in a similar spot right now. I do however, have my permit. A week from today I will be taking the BRC (basic rider course). It's offered by the MSF or motorcycle safety foundation, and in most states, succesful completion of the in class and on bike tests results in a full licence being awarded (basically it covers the road test).

As mentioned smaller engine sizes are much better introductions. I've got a kawasaki ninja 250 that i've been on twice now (its my neighbors, but soon to be mine). They run around 3K new. Used values are between 2000 and 2500, so dont think of it as a total loss if you get one and sell it within a short period of time.

From what i've heard and what I'm learning, the experience of learning how to manuever a smaller bike with less acceleration is the best way to be able to get out of hairy situations with larger bikes.

Read about the MSF classes, and remember a used 250 class bike is a great starter. Everyone falls, everyone drops a bike, and there's a learning curve. Would you rather experience those on a $2500 bike with lower speed capability, or drop a $9500+ machine that weighs more, while running 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, falling back because you hit the throttle too firmly

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
dude dont listen to these people.

My first bike was a new honda RC51 1000cc sportbike in 2002. Its the vtwin and about as fast as a new 900cc ninja. I sold it last year, i put 30k miles on the bike. Never dropped it once.

My friend just got his first bike, a brand new limited edition Hayabusa. Probably the easiest bike in the world to learn on.

Dont waste your $$ on a shitty small bike that you hate. Get the motorcycle you want. A bike is only as fast as you twist the throttle. You can do 45mph in 6th gear, or 75 in first.

PS, buells are pieces of shit. The 1200cc buell is slower then a honda 600rr.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
When I bought my 1st bike I bought a race bike....I didnt want to waste my money on something I did not like.

I learnt alot about bikes from my first bike.

Cheers,
Roy

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
My first bike was a 1100xx, followed shortly by a k1200rs. But, I did learn on smaller bikes borrowed from friends.

The best thing you could do is to take a MSF, and then sign up for a few novice-level track days. The only problem with track days is that once you do enough of them, you won't have any desire to ride on the street.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Ok. My first bike was a 99 r6. Fast as SHIT (when i bought it). I had some dirt bike experiance before but not much (1 hour?) I wouldent recomend a fast bike first. an older 600 is good.... even then I did a few things that ALMOST cost me the bike... or my life. even an older 600 is SOO fast once you pass 10k that your gonna scare the shit out of yourself.

I made it past the 6 month mark, and bought a TL 1000R which i rode for a bit, hated it, and sold it. then jumped to a 929RR which I found out was a stolen bike and lost 4k... Yay.

the 929RR when i had it was faster then any bike should be. just STUPID fast....

Next bike will be a 02-03 R1... my favorite design....

In the end. the fastest bike i recomend is a 600... even then.. please exercise restraint...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ric said:
dude dont listen to these people.

My first bike was a new honda RC51 1000cc sportbike in 2002. Its the vtwin and about as fast as a new 900cc ninja. I sold it last year, i put 30k miles on the bike. Never dropped it once.

My friend just got his first bike, a brand new limited edition Hayabusa. Probably the easiest bike in the world to learn on.

Dont waste your $$ on a shitty small bike that you hate. Get the motorcycle you want. A bike is only as fast as you twist the throttle. You can do 45mph in 6th gear, or 75 in first.

PS, buells are pieces of shit. The 1200cc buell is slower then a honda 600rr.

Since we're in OT I'm just gonna say it without any sugar coating.

Dear Ric,

That advice is fucking stupid and you should be ashamed to say a Hayabusa is the easiest bike to learn on.

It's people like you he definately should not be listening to. People that would recommend a 1000cc supersport as a GOOD starter bike. Just because you survived starting on a supersport(a liter bike at that) doesn't make it a good starter bike. I'm not going to get into why because the reasons should be fucking obvious. He can read the article I posted for some smart advice.

This is worse than the bullshit you post in the JZ forum. Your skull is denser than rocks, I swear. The collective IQ of Supramania has probably gone down a few points since you've been here. And that's being generous at best.

Love,

OneJoeZee

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
dear joe,

you can kill yourself on a moped just as quick and messy as a 1 liter sportbike. the size of the bike has nothing to do with safety. if the person who purchases a motorcycle wants to win a darwin award, they will do so no matter what they own.

people that ride, own, and have put ALOT of miles on a motorcycle should be the only people in this thread. Ive seen people come, ive seen friends die. My best friend in HS died on a 500cc ninja the 2nd day he got it. Took a sweeping corner, high sided, and flew face first into a pine tree. not everyone has the responsibility to put their life into their own hands. buying a slower bike isnt the fix or bandaid, its just a waste of time and $$.

get what you want. take it easy your first year. ride the speed limits.

ps, i never took a msf course. I rode 1 year without a bike endorsement til i was 21 and was able to get it without taking the course, but ive had about 5 years of dirtbike riding under my belt prior.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
yes i'm here, and no I still havent heard shit about the bike. I even calle dthe cops.. they didnt call me back :(

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ric said:
dear joe,

you can kill yourself on a moped just as quick and messy as a 1 liter sportbike. the size of the bike has nothing to do with safety. if the person who purchases a motorcycle wants to win a darwin award, they will do so no matter what they own.

people that ride, own, and have put ALOT of miles on a motorcycle should be the only people in this thread. Ive seen people come, ive seen friends die. My best friend in HS died on a 500cc ninja the 2nd day he got it. Took a sweeping corner, high sided, and flew face first into a pine tree. not everyone has the responsibility to put their life into their own hands. buying a slower bike isnt the fix or bandaid, its just a waste of time and $$.

get what you want. take it easy your first year. ride the speed limits.

ps, i never took a msf course. I rode 1 year without a bike endorsement til i was 21 and was able to get it without taking the course, but ive had about 5 years of dirtbike riding under my belt prior.
Are you some kind of idiot?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Ric said:
you can kill yourself on a moped just as quick and messy as a 1 liter sportbike.

True although you gotta work a lot harder to do it on a moped

the size of the bike has nothing to do with safety.

You cant be this ignorent. a 50 and a 1300 cc are going to be the same in terms of safety... you can be THAT stupid.

Ric... you really cant be this stupid..... expecialy for someone who's ridden a biek for awile.

Youd suggest a 1300 for a beginer?

I'm glad you arn't my friend.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
how is a 1000cc gsxr more dangerous then a 500cc ninja? Its not.

The only thing dangerous about a motorcycle is the person sitting on it acting like a retard.

you can ride a busa in 35mph traffic all day long just as easy as a 50cc moped with no more effort.