Sound Deadening Weight & Measure!

Chris86.5

Oct 5, 2006
Leduc AB
i pretty much did the same, thing i took out all the deadener. but I'm putting new stuff in, with the bonus of spraying rock guard in the cab. so when i have my stereo in it it will be SOO nice. and when the stereo isnt playing, there will be little noise

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
silent_sniper said:
THERE IS HARDLY ANY ROAD NOISE all this talk about lots of road noise with sound deadening is myth put carpet back in and most people didnt even notice the incress and those who did were the ones who helped me pull the stuff out.

worth it

to me yes because i need to take it out so i can FG my sub into my back seat area and the noise difrence is so small its worth the weight savings

for those looking for the whole stock thing drive with someone whos done it and make the opinon for your selfs

how much will the sub box weigh:icon_razz

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i took out all my sound dead gutted the carpet too from fome

i took out so much stuff out of the 86.5 it's not funny mics wireing remade light white front bumper the freakign list goes on

my record is 2980

so 500 plsu pound loose is worth it to me heheheh

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
ForcedTorque said:
I do admire the fact that you did the actual weighing of the parts, instead of guestimating like most weight savers do. I've seen the weight deadening material guesstimated at 200 pounds before. Maybe you will discourage someone else from doing this by showing a true weight.

I agree. Very good info. I personally wouldn't do this unless I was building a dedicated track car (which is definitely not what I have a Supra for).

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
catback said:
how much will the sub box weigh:icon_razz

hopefully not 55 lbs

oh i should mention that mine was soaking wet and there was a shitload of surfuse rust under it. which was another reason i took it out

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
NashMan said:
i took out all my sound dead gutted the carpet too from fome

i took out so much stuff out of the 86.5 it's not funny mics wireing remade light white front bumper the freakign list goes on

my record is 2980

so 500 plsu pound loose is worth it to me heheheh

Pm me a list please. was this done with an empty tank of gas also?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Brewster said:
That seems totally not worth it to me.

Some things are just beyond me i guess. I didn't buy a supra just so I could tear things out of it to save a 10th of a second here or there. If I was building a track car maybe, But not a street car, and not the supra.

You say you don't notice the noise but I'm sure I would, those kind of things bug the hell out of me, I will change tires if they are too noisy.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
a list ummm think of every think that is heavy that can be replaced and repalced it with some thing lighter or got rid of completely

lets put it this way i have no heater in my car nore hood latch i do still retaint the stock to certon dagrea cetp all the branceing is cut out withc makes it much lighter nore do i ahve an e brake the list goes on

i would love to amke list but i ahve done so muhc and stuff that i forget alot fo it

when you have an idea to start to remove weight all weight counts it adds up over time

oh yae on my blisten on lower perch and eb spring was about 1 ich lower then stock basicl thus is the reson why i had to go coil overs so i choudl lower it and regain my cars handleing back caus eof all teh weight i removed

you be suprice on how much you cars handleign get distrubed just by repalce you seast wiht really light ones get very under streery

so taken to much weight out fo your car can make it wores

any wyas as in the lost if i ahve the spare time i might go ahead and try to remeber it all

but on this build i have added more weight then last time as how much ti will be i am not sure

to answer thsi qestion it was not fully emtly but close this was the level i used to auto x with and drag

89Turbo said:
Pm me a list please. was this done with an empty tank of gas also?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Bathory said:
Pray tell, what will removing the sound deadener cause to rattle? The carpet against the floorboards? I dont think so.

Please read carefully before you post something dumb like that ;). We were discussing subs between those two posts, nothing about, "removing the sound deadning material will cause the car to rattle". Ever heard a car from the outside with subs blasting and the rear end rattling? Ever laid down the back seats just to hear it more? Yeah, glad we got that cleared up now ;).

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
silent_sniper said:
hopefully not 55 lbs

oh i should mention that mine was soaking wet and there was a shitload of surfuse rust under it. which was another reason i took it out

where did you get your car from?

sounds like a flood car....

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
starscream5000 said:
Please read carefully before you post something dumb like that ;). We were discussing subs between those two posts, nothing about, "removing the sound deadning material will cause the car to rattle". Ever heard a car from the outside with subs blasting and the rear end rattling? Ever laid down the back seats just to hear it more? Yeah, glad we got that cleared up now ;).

Actualy, what you said was "More thump to overpower the rattling ;)" that implies turning up the radio to overcome the rattling of the car (presumably from removing the sound deadener) If the "THUMP" is what is causing the rattling your talking about then how the fuck is MORE thump gonna overpower it? And more to the point, my comment was directed to all the knuckleheads that think the car becomes intolerably loud.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Bathory said:
Actualy, what you said was "More thump to overpower the rattling ;)" that implies turning up the radio to overcome the rattling of the car (presumably from removing the sound deadener) If the "THUMP" is what is causing the rattling your talking about then how the fuck is MORE thump gonna overpower it? And more to the point, my comment was directed to all the knuckleheads that think the car becomes intolerably loud.

Post, #4 refers to buying an amp to make the radio louder. Once you get enough "thump" you don't hear jack shit except for the "thump". Ask me how I know ;). You presume, or assume incorrectly, but, it's all gravy. I understand where you're coming from with the knucklehead comment ;).

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Brewster said:
That seems totally not worth it to me.

UNLESS you want to replace it with the better stuff that was mentioned and make it quieter than it was stock... otherwise it seems like too much work...not really a sound issue, while i think it would cause more noise i'm not sure...but i'm pretty sure its a lot of work!!

what about heat? does this stuf shield heat?

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
lagged said:
where did you get your car from?

sounds like a flood car....

haha no i thing its because my hatch leaks and the water drains right in to were my passenger seat was and collected there i say this because only the passenger side had rust